Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Duffman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After a lot of years I'm about to finally make the jump to "the dark side" and I find myself needing some help.

I�ve gone around and around on each and every caliber available in the AR platform and now I find myself short listing the DPMS in .243. Does anyone have any experience in this caliber by this manufacturer? Or any reason to avoid this caliber in the AR platform (my next rifle was going to be a .243 and I have wanted an AR for a long time, so why not put these two together?)?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Welcome to the Campfire, Duffman.

Are you looking at an AR10-config in a 243 Winchester or a AR15 in 243 WSSM? The 243 win won't fit in a standard AR15 receiver but will in the larger AR10. I have a 243 WSSM and love it. Faster than the 243 Win and accurate. Not much out there for factory ammo, but lots of good bullets for handloading. I'm sure you would enjoy either.

Rick

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Duffman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the welcome (I've really enjoyed my short time here), and thank you for responding. I was looking at the AR10 configuration in .243 Win. I don't handload and the lower cost of ammo will be appreciated...but darn it, why did you give me another option? That .243 WSSM looks like an awesome round! Looks like another long night of reading up on it...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you don't reload, I would stick with .243 Win
more choices in ammo, and likely to be easer to find in the long run.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There is a HUGE selection of over-the-counter ammunition for the .243 Winchester. That, to someone that doesn't "roll his own" is a big advantage over the WSSM. At this point, Winchester is only offering three loads for the .243 WSSM.

The WSSM on the AR-15 platform will give you a little better performance than the .243 Winchester. The AR-15 will also be lighter and less expensive.

There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental illness"
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't handload
Might be a good time to start regardless of which caliber and rifle config you end up with. Guys on the reloading forum are a great source to help you get started right and as economically as you need to. You likely would not save much money in the short or long run as you will find the fun of producing your own loads will have you shooting more, which is a good thing.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Duffman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As I'm new to the AR style rifle I want to buy a completed, over the counter rifle this time around. The thought of buying a separate upper, lower, getting modified magazines, etc. seems overwhelming to me at this point.

Regarding reloading, I know this is just another excuse, but at this time of my life I find it hard to make time to clean the garage enough so we can get both cars in it, let alone making a path to the workbench and learning a new craft. Also, and this may sound stupid, but I�m not sure I�d trust anything that I made with gunpower, primer and a projectile. For now I have to rely on store bought ammo (which isn�t such a bad thing IMHO), which gives me a good amount of time shooting.

Thank you again for all of your feedback, I really appreciate it.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
at this time of my life I find it hard to make time to clean the garage enough so we can get both cars in it, let alone making a path to the workbench
So that's what that big room is for on the other side of the kitchen! laugh

Duffman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You've got it RickyD!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duffman
I've got one of the AR10ts in 308. There's something to be said plunking 10, 168 grain slugs into a pack of cigs sized target out a 500 yards.
Nice thing about the 243 Win AR10 platform is you can buy a new upper for 308 and be in business with a heavier caliber.
Enjoy.

Jim

If you want the most from your AR10 get into reloading, Sierra 80 grain BTHPs are accurate and pure hell on groundhogs.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Duffman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Arkypete, the ability to switch uppers to .308 if I so choose is another thing I like about the AR10 platform.

Thank you for the input.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you are looking for a cool toy, or a hunting rifle, the .243 is a good choice.
Just be sure you get an upper also in 7.62 NATO for social purposes. If things go south, there is not enough .243 anywhere to do you much good. shocked

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/23/07.

Sam......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So who makes uppers that'll accept a WSSM ?

Spot

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I bought mine (243wssm, 22" fluted, compensated, Hogue over-molded floated handguard) from this guy: http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/ .

Olympic Arms also make them but without the custom options.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
thanks.

Spot

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I should also add he does really nice work and is knowledgable in answering any questions you might have before or after your build. His turnaround time used to be just a couple of weeks but not sure now. I would certainly recommend him and would use him again.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I also highly recommend DTech. His work is 2nd to none. Cant go wrong.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

So I don't get one thing here.

Why could a guy build a 243 WSSM on a AR-15 base, but not a 243?

Doesn't quite make sense to me that you need a AR-10 base for a 243 win, vs. a 243 WSSM on a AR-15 base.

Spot

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It's the length of case VS. length capacity of the magazine. The .243 WSSM gets it's energy from a very large diameter, short case. The .243 Winchester has a smaller diameter case, but the case itself is too long to be able to use it in an AR-15.

The AR-10 was developed for the .308 Winchester or 7.62 NATO, it has a longer bolt-stroke, as well as a magazine with the room to accept a longer case. The .243 Winchester is simply a necked-down .308 case, that's why you are limited to using it on the AR-10 platform. Length is the only problem.

There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental illness"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why could a guy build a 243 WSSM on a AR-15 base, but not a 243?ever seen the length of the ammo? it boils down to magazine box lenght.

AR 10 based has a longer mag well for the 243 win's requirements.
AR 15 based has a short mag well for the standard 223 round, of which the 243 WSSM will fit.

on either one you are not really "building" you're just buying completed uppers.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.