Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
I don’t have the notes what we use to use behind the 95BT’s. It think it was the same load my dad used in his which back then was usually RL22 I think. It would touch bullet holes. Then a couple years ago I used 80 grain BT’s loaded with H100V and it touched bullet holes with that also.
Would like to use 90 grains and up and go with temp stable powder these days. I have a post in the reloading section for that.

The rifle in question belonged to my grandpa. WWII vet and would have been 12-14 at the start of the depression. I’m sure he would just tell me to use the heck out of it and do whatever I want with it.
I don’t know why but I use to think you shouldn’t make changes to an inherited rifle etc. I don’t know why as that doesn’t make sense. They are made to use not look at.

Nothing wrong with looking at them, but a true travesty if you don't use them. Just sayin..

Agreed.
Am no collector.
Have had a variety over the years, so not impressed really by single items.
Even inherited ones.
IMHO, use it (as is or modified) or sell it.

Of course you could just store it for another family member til ready (kid/grandkid)

Last edited by hookeye; 03/09/23.
HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
I don’t have the notes what we use to use behind the 95BT’s. It think it was the same load my dad used in his which back then was usually RL22 I think. It would touch bullet holes. Then a couple years ago I used 80 grain BT’s loaded with H100V and it touched bullet holes with that also.
Would like to use 90 grains and up and go with temp stable powder these days. I have a post in the reloading section for that.

The rifle in question belonged to my grandpa. WWII vet and would have been 12-14 at the start of the depression. I’m sure he would just tell me to use the heck out of it and do whatever I want with it.
I don’t know why but I use to think you shouldn’t make changes to an inherited rifle etc. I don’t know why as that doesn’t make sense. They are made to use not look at.

Nothing wrong with looking at them, but a true travesty if you don't use them. Just sayin..

Agreed.
Am no collector.
Even inherited ones.

Of course you could just store it for another family member til ready (kid/grandkid)

Will probably end up just leaving it as is and then if it ever loses accuracy then at that point would probably rebarrel with a 1:8.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had an inherited rifle that needed rebarrelled, id do it in a heartbeat and not think twice on it. Not like you’re using grandmas China set for target practice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye

Agreed.
Am no collector.
Even inherited ones.

Will probably end up just leaving it as is and then if it ever loses accuracy then at that point would probably rebarrel with a 1:8.

Good thinking OP.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not much on rebarreling rifles for any other reason than being wore out. I have a m700 243 bdl from the 70's I bought and it's barrel is getting tired . It will get another barrel. Wearing one out is something to celibrate, most never shoot enough to do so. It is not an inexpensive process these days getting the good in it ,out of it first then rebarrel. Just my 2 cts worth..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rebarrel it, restock it, fast twist, slow twist, high grade wood, synthetic stock. Whatever you want. It’s your rifle. I’m sure whoever left it to you would rather you used it then left in the safe for rest of your life because it’s not what you want but you won’t part with it because it was left to you.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If one of my kids wants to rebarrel one of my guns after I’m gone I could care less if it meant they hunted with it more. Barrel it with what makes you happy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really doubt the original owner would care or even knows what you do with it . Death removes you from this existence and whatever is beyond .... removes any importance of trivial earthly possessions like old guns, cars etc ..

Only the emotionally regressed would really believe nonsense such as "he would have wanted that" and other similar bs you hear from the emotionally unstable

Do whatever the hell ya want with it, it's a thing ... not another living being

Reality rules the day, not fantasy

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mart
Rebarrel it, restock it, fast twist, slow twist, high grade wood, synthetic stock. Whatever you want. It’s your rifle. I’m sure whoever left it to you would rather you used it then left in the safe for rest of your life because it’s not what you want but you won’t part with it because it was left to you.

Amen... Use it!

But saying all of that, chances are it's a 9.25 twist and it'll stabilize 105 HPBT's and maybe a few others the way it is. I know I'd definitely try a few before I wrote it off.

Semper Fi
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Really doubt the original owner would care or even knows what you do with it . Death removes you from this existence and whatever is beyond .... removes any importance of trivial earthly possessions like old guns, cars etc ..

Only the emotionally regressed would really believe nonsense such as "he would have wanted that" and other similar bs you hear from the emotionally unstable

Do whatever the hell ya want with it, it's a thing ... not another living being

Reality rules the day, not fantasy

Very true

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Personally, the only time I would not mess with an inherited rifle would be if that rifle, in that configuration, held some special meaning, such as "that was Grandpa's favorite rifle and together I shot my first deer with it," or "Dad carried that rifle the last time we hunted together." Etc.

Obviously, stuff like that is totally a personal choice.

JMHO

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Would you rebarrel an inherited rifle to a faster twist barrel?
It’s not a collectors item. It’s just a Model 700 SA made in the 70s.
It’s not a matter of the cartridge it’s in but a question of would you rebarrel an inherited rifle? That’s the only question.
It’s a Model 700 243 made in the 70s in good condition.
Does a 700 ADL even have enough magazine length for 103’s -108’s?

Absolutely I would I have and I would do it again

Not saying you should or shouldn’t I’m just answering the question.

Like beretzs said it might work with some pretty good bullets as is.

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/09/23.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by beretzs

Amen... Use it!

But saying all of that, chances are it's a 9.25 twist and it'll stabilize 105 HPBT's and maybe a few others the way it is. I know I'd definitely try a few before I wrote it off.

I’ve actually never tried 105’s in it, guess I assumed it was the wrong twist.
What is required for 103 ELDX?
Rifle is ADL made in 76 or 77, I forgot which year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure, I'd feel free to put new tires on an inherited car as well.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Amen... Use it!

I’ve actually never tried 105’s in it, guess I assumed it was the wrong twist.
What is required for 103 ELDX?
Rifle is ADL made in 76 or 77, I forgot which year.

I am not positive, but it might be as easy as comparing it to the 105 Hornady HPBT length and if it is close, give them a whirl.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All depends on the rifle, it's condition, history and how much I liked the person who I inherited it from. I'm not sentimental when it comes to material things but I do respect history of something when warranted.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Yep. I'd make sure of the bedding and crown, tune the trigger and commence firing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless it were the rifle Dad or Grandpa or whomever used to kill the Governor or save the President or some other such value increasing activity, I wouldn't treat one of the firearms I inherited from my Dad any different than I would treat one I bought off of someone else. As a matter of fact, I know my Dad would want me to do whatever I wanted with it/them.

My bigger concern is running into my Dad in the afterlife and him telling me what a moron I was for not selling his left handed 870 and using the proceeds to buy something I could use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If it doesn't have some sort of sentimental value that you have an attachment to, rebarrel it if that would make it more useful for you.

There were so many Remington 700s made that a used one that isn't in a rare configuration or wasn't owned by a well known previous owner. If it had once belonged to JOC or EK or JB and you could show documented provenance, it would probably be worth a bit more money if it was still in the same configuration as when the famous person owned it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.