Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We pick it up and give it to the guard dogs.

I am MAGA.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep. My brother was driving to meet me muzzleloader hunting and hit a nice 8 pt. It went and died in someone's backyard. He waited until about 7am and knocked on the door and asked if he could get the dead deer out of their yard. They gratefully said yes. He got that packed up and headed down the road only to have to car in front of him hit a 4pt. He tossed that in the back of his truck. When I walked out of the woods, he had 2 dead deer in his truck. We took them home and butchered them. Amazingly we didn't lose too much meat and probably got 70 or 80 pounds of meat out of it.

2 Kings 2:23-24
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BubbaG
Yep. My brother was driving to meet me muzzleloader hunting and hit a nice 8 pt. It went and died in someone's backyard. He waited until about 7am and knocked on the door and asked if he could get the dead deer out of their yard. They gratefully said yes. He got that packed up and headed down the road only to have to car in front of him hit a 4pt. He tossed that in the back of his truck. When I walked out of the woods, he had 2 dead deer in his truck. We took them home and butchered them. Amazingly we didn't lose too much meat and probably got 70 or 80 pounds of meat out of it.

Rut must have been on big time!

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by BubbaG

Rut must have been on big time!

Opening muzzleloader usually falls perfectly during the rut.

2 Kings 2:23-24
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was going moose hunting and while driving down a farm road to get to my hunting spot I saw a calf moose tangled up in the fence on the side of the road, mom was nowhere to be found. There were magpies eating it's eyes and it was still warm and recently dead.

I called fish and game and reported what I found and asked if I could keep it, and they said sure. So I loaded it up, then went hunting and shot a nice bull as well that day.

I butchered the calf and it was outstanding. Will be the only calf I will ever eat, because this will never happen again, and I would never shoot a calf.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/09/23.

KB

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sure, beef when a locker can handle it.

**BEWARE SCAMMER BEWARE SCAMMER BEWARE SCAMMER**
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Deer I picked up freshly killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lotsa times for deer.
One evening Carol and I closed out the Dew Drop, playing the jukebox and darts and pool.
On the way home, about 3 miles from the house, I saw a car on the side with the flashers blinking, so I went back.
That guy hadn’t hit it, but he had a tire iron trying to dispatch a doe.
Being a redneck, I slit the throat with my knife.
The legs were busted up, but the rest of her looked okay.
I said to the guy, this would be a good one to take home, and offered to help him load it.
He didn’t want it, and I had Wifey’s Sunday go to meeting car, so I went home for the Jeep.
Me and The Old Man had it hanging and were back in bed by 3:30.
I’m like some of you other guys, I hate like hell to see them go to waste.
Besides, deer season is more fun and relaxing if you’ve already got one or two in the freezer! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Was following a large snowplow one afternoon on our way to do the annual deer hunt. The plow wrapped up a grouse that had flown in front of it and spit it out on the roadside. It was still fluttering when I picked it up. Never had grouse before that one. It was great eating.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Duh...............

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Lotsa times for deer.
One evening Carol and I closed out the Dew Drop, playing the jukebox and darts and pool.
On the way home, about 3 miles from the house, I saw a car on the side with the flashers blinking, so I went back.
That guy hadn’t hit it, but he had a tire iron trying to dispatch a doe.
Being a redneck, I slit the throat with my knife.
The legs were busted up, but the rest of her looked okay.
I said to the guy, this would be a good one to take home, and offered to help him load it.
He didn’t want it, and I had Wifey’s Sunday go to meeting car, so I went home for the Jeep.
Me and The Old Man had it hanging and were back in bed by 3:30.
I’m like some of you other guys, I hate like hell to see them go to waste.
Besides, deer season is more fun and relaxing if you’ve already got one or two in the freezer! grin
7mm

Dew Drop!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Classy!

Few years ago it was sold again. They remodeled, made it semi nice.
Good food, still no room.
Remember the deer mount that looked like it was brought over on the Mayflower.
Bet that thing had 100# of nicotine soaked in it.
Good thing it couldn't talk!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh. Yeah.
Lotta deer.

Rabbit,pheasant, and turkey too.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've eaten at "Chinese" buffets, so the answer is probably yes.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A lot of moose get hit by cars (and sometimes trains) in Alaska. I lived in Eagle River for 8 years, and the church I belonged to was one of the charitable organizations that the State Troopers called when they had a moose down. Usually the moose just had a broken leg and the Trooper had to shoot it in the head to end its suffering. Requirement was that a recovery team was on scene within 30 minutes or they called the next organization on the list. Those of us who picked up the moose (trailers and winches were the preferred method) and took it somewhere to break it down and cut it up shared a portion of the meat and we gave the rest to needy families. Road killed moose was a big contributor to our freezer in those days, and it was good.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would feed all the students in the village road kill moose when I taught at Mentasta Lake. They would haul me a road kill moose about every two weeks and I would have my students cut it into cuts that we stored in a huge walkin freezer. I would use government eggs, cheese and potatoes to spice it up. Attendance was the best that people had ever seen.

Last edited by kaboku68; 03/09/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Took the back straps off a cow elk at 3am on I-80 in southern Wyoming
Was just hit by an18 wheeler

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Was going to the farm opening day of deer season with the wife....halve way their truck coming the opposite way has a deer run in to the back side of a truck and they kept going .....I stopped turn on the 4 way flashers pulled the deer to the back of my truck it only had a bloody nose gutted it and put it in the back of the truck....
That morning the Wife and I both shot nice bucks .....skinned out the one hit by the truck not an ounce of bad meat just a bloody nose and a broken neck....
Picked up in the same spot a couple years later a deer lost a little meat that was badly bruised .....over the past 10 years I've picked up in the same area 5 deer .....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Several. One, Bus Stop Bambi humiliated my daughter. Last one my brother gave me broke me of the habit. Bullet wound to the neck proved to be a pus filled fang mark. But I was too excited to realize nothing looked right between the skin and the meat until frying up some back strap with my bloody finger bandaged up. (super sharp knife cut.) Had to get so many shots I forgot what for. No need for rabies series in our area, thankfully!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, for any years. I grew up in whitetail country, NE Wisconsin. We lived along a busy rural highway with forested areas on both sides of the highway that acted as a deer funnel. Quite often we would here the screech of brakes and a crash and a few minutes later someone would be knocking on our door, asking to use our telephone. We would ask if they wanted the deer, the usual answer was "no".

Regarding bruised or bloodshot meat. Our mom taught us an old farm method to save the meat. For example, a bruised hind quarter on a road kill. The blood is trapped between the various muscle groups, so we would separate the muscles, wipe away the blood, and soak the meat overnight in a salt water bath in the refrigerator. In the morning the saltwater would be blood red and the meat would be clean and clear. This only works if done soon after the kill. If you wait a day or more, the blood will have soured the meat.

This method also works great for firearms kills. Example is the the blood trapped between the layers of meat on the ribcage and front shoulder. Promptly separate the layers, cut away the meat around the bullet hole and soak in salt water overnight.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tim wouldn’t like that !!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.