Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
den-den Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well I loaded my first 25 rds. Everything looks good except my C.O.L. increased as I went along. Checked the seating die and it was tight. Overall the length I set is close. How much variable am I to expect? I started @ 2.775 and saw a increase to 2.7815 (longest), max. length is 2.800 per Speer manual. My first 5 rds. were low because I was getting the adjustment right. I checked and rechecked the lengths and per five rds. there was a increase after each 5 rds. I started with the min. powder charge and increased it to max. in one grain increments (ex. 42, 43, 44, 45, & 46), max. is NOT a compressed charge. Case prep went good, but trimming is a bitch. I can see that you do not need to get in a hurry, and to progress with each step slowly. Primer seating is going to take some getting used to, I'm thinking about getting the hand primer, but right now I'm going to learn to use the primer tube setup with the press.<BR>Happy Reloader...<BR>Den-Den

HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would check the little adjustment screw in the top of the die's to make sure it is not backing out on you. I would also make sure you are allowing for a full stroke on your down swing of your finished cases.<P>possible problems may be in the deformation of the nose of loaded rounds, the bullets them selves may not be perfect allowing for a bit of difference. That is why they sell those OAL guides that use the ogive of the bullet to the base of the case.<P>also the variation you are getting in OAL will only affect you if you are shooting in the 2's or 3's. (like the bench rest boys.)<P>I would recommend using a fresh target for each group you test fire, that will give you a very clear indicator of what is working well in your rifle.<P>don't forget to check the first case of each successive round fired for, signs of pressure!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
den-den<P>spend the extra money on a Lee Handtool/Priming tool. You won't be disatisfied!<P>Mike<P>Welcome to the world of reloading!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, anothergun, 44automag, 8 invisible), 792 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.