Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It appears I need to have a serial number on my firearm to travel to other countries and return to the US. My old custom 98 Mauser has no serial number or cartridge marking. Anyone familiar with this regulation and the proper way to proceed?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
contact BATF, they will give you a song and dance

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steveredd1
contact BATF, they will give you a song and dance

I went to ATF website and they have a button for asking a regulatory question and....it doesn't work. I read through the regulations and it is confusing to the point that I believe I know the answer and sure as hell am not going to start adding numbers and identifiers only to find out my efforts fall short of their thinking.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
had a friend that was fluting 700 action and reattaching a serial number without a type 7 FFL, he was showing them at my table at a gun show, told him to take them out to his car before ATF comes by. he didn't even have a FFL

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know about a S/N for taking the rifle to another country, but in the U.S., the S/N and manufacturer's markings need to be at least .003" deep,
at least 1/16" tall, and one of the digits must be a numeral. You can't have all letters.

I would suggest putting the manufacturer and location on the receiver and the caliber on the barrel.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 03/10/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a mauser with the serial number on the barrel.
I rebarrelled from 30-06 to 6.5-06.
When I sell it, I will throw in the take off barrel.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I don't know about S/N for taking the rifle to another country, but in the U.S., the S/N and manufacturer's markings need to be at least .003" deep,
at least 1/16" tall, and one of the digits must be a numeral. You can't have all letters.

I would suggest putting the manufacturer and location on the receiver and the caliber on the barrel.

Tony

You are correct, .003" deep and at least 1/16" tall for the serial number. No mention of chambering but I'll assume it is a good idea to follow the serial number guide line. And of course placing the chambering on the barrel make a lot of sense. They say the number must be unique to the manufacture and don't mention if it needs to be unique to the country. And then there is the question of whether the manufacturing's name must also be included since the number series is unique to the manufacturing. Clear as mud.

Had trouble entering Kyrgyzstan because my 4451 form didn't list my ammunition.

I'm headed to Namibia and really want to bring my old 275 Rigby or 7x57 or whichever I mark the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sucks, but I would take a different rifle.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brazos

That is likely the direction I'll go and most likely take two rifles.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I sure would not mess up a treasure as you described. Nor would I carry it internationally, where it might get confiscated along the way. Yes, I remember Jon R Sundra's loss of his rifle in 7MM JRS to Russian police.

There are plenty of cheap accurate rifles at the gun counter well suited to your safari. Maybe a Ruger American, a Howa, or even a Howa dressed as a Weatherby.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All my rifles can be replaced. I would hate to loose any but won't leave them in the safe. I got the Rigby off gunbroker, I have no history with it. I am resisting having it marked up though.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Who the fugg wants a serial #

Buy a walmart rifle, bury your unserialed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by Brazos

That is likely the direction I'll go and most likely take two rifles.

Sorry. I wasn't offering advice, just letting off steam.

Good luck and good hunting!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back when I preordered my Montana Rifle Co. LH Short Action you were giving them seed money to start the Co.
One of the things they let you do is choose your SN. It had to contain at least to Numbers.
So mine is stamped with my 3 initials and 03 the year it was made. I don't think you can do that anymore.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jbmi
Back when I preordered my Montana Rifle Co. LH Short Action you were giving them seed money to start the Co.
One of the things they let you do is choose your SN. It had to contain at least to Numbers.
So mine is stamped with my 3 initials and 03 the year it was made. I don't think you can do that anymore.

My read of the regulation is that would be legal as long as the manufacture hasn't previously used that serial number.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.