Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
John you stated in the thread, ".30'06 didn't impress me":
"But have also used plenty of Bergers. If you use them enough to understand how they work, and place them accordingly, on average they have killed big game quicker than any other bullet used, including Interlocks and Ballistic Tips."
Could you expound on this please?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Berger Berger Hunting VLDs typically penetrate a couple inches before they start expanding, while most bullets start expanding as soon as they hit hide. This means HVLDs typically get through the ribs, or even the shoulder blade, before they open--and when they do open, they expand violently, often coming just about completely apart, resulting in massive damage to the internal organs. This results in very quick kills, and also a higher percentage of instant drops from behind-the-shoulder shots than any other bullet I've used, or seen used.

But unless very heavy, they don't penetrate deeply on angling shots.

Might post a photo later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Accubond and interlock. Skip the berger. Got a 6.5x300 that shoots a 156 extremely good. Not so great while hunting. In and out. I gave that bullet about 20 kills worth of a chance. Load up some interlocks and it hit them like lightning and flattens them. My experience. Mule deer gets it. Shoot a dang interlock or accubond and walk to where they stood. I did get a little better performance in the 06 with a berger, but the interlock performed better for me. They are the most consistent bullet I've ever used.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Joe,

Coyote10 didn't comprehend my point. In fact, dunno what he means by "In and out," unless he means bullets are more effective when they exit. I have not found this to be true, and in fact have yet to encounter an expanding big game bullet that always exits.

Generally those that result in more internal damage kill quicker--and those that lose some weight tend to do that. Here's an example of the internal damage Bergers do, the reason they kill so quickly.

This New Zealand red stag was about the size of the typical 5x5 elk. The rifle is my Ultra Light Arms .30-06, and the bullet the 168 Berger Hunting VLD loaded to around 2850 fps. The stag was bedded, broadside, on a hillside across a canyon about 250 yards away. The bullet landed just behind the shoulder. At the shot the stag didn't even try to rise, just tipped its head back, then rolled downhill a little. The other photo is of what the bullet did to the heart: It was essentially turned into a thin flap.

Have seen this sort of thing--both the very quick kill, and massive internal damage--happen over and over again with various Berger Hunting VLDs from .25 to .30 caliber, on far more than 20 animals. Do I think they're the best hunting bullet ever? No, but I don't think ANY bullet is the best hunting bullet ever. There are a bunch of good ones these days, which work in various ways--but they all work, if you understand how they differ in performance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Amen

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Coyote10 didn't comprehend my point. In fact, dunno what he means by "In and out"

Have seen this sort of thing--both the very quick kill, and massive internal damage--happen over and over again with various Berger Hunting VLDs from .25 to .30 caliber, on far more than 20 animals. Do I think they're the best hunting bullet ever? No, but I don't think ANY bullet is the best hunting bullet ever. There are a bunch of good ones these days, which work in various ways--but they all work, if you understand how they differ in performance.

Hard to argue with success. But I'm not here to argue with anyone, just share experiences. My experience, is I get better results with certain bullets than others, and I certainly understand how they work. I have killed 20 animals (deer) in one week with various bullets. Believe me, I know. And by in and out, I mean in and out with little damage and hands and knees blood trailing just to find I popped both lungs and the the deer ran until it was expired. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but I'm talking little hole in, little internal damage, and little hole out. Only seen that with hunting vlds. When I shoot them with the interlock, the shock and hemorrhaging is massive. With that said, I think after countless kills over the years, I've came to the conclusion on which bullet I'm closing my bolt on.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
And as far as penetrating a couple inches before opening up like a berger is supposed to, a boring old flat based interlock will do that out of an 06 every single time. I comprehend my friend. Those massive trauma vld experiences usually result in a hit bone somewhere along the line. But like I said before, thats what I prefer. My opinion only.

Last edited by Coyote10; 03/09/23.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
“But unless very heavy, they don't penetrate deeply on angling shots.”

JB, please clarify for me, “but unless very heavy” Heavier than typical Whitetail, Muley, etc?

Reason I ask is, I’m almost out of my old standby, 180 gr Partitions (and can’t find any) but I have an ample supply of 168 gr VLDs for 30.06 and an Elk/Muley hunt combo coming up. Do I stay away from quartering shots on a Muley but okay on an elk w VLDs???

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Far be it from me to put words in MD's mouth, but i believe he meant "unless the VLD bullet is very heavy, it won't penetrate deeply on angling shots".

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by czech1022
Far be it from me to put words in MD's mouth, but i believe he meant "unless the VLD bullet is very heavy, it won't penetrate deeply on angling shots".

^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John:
As point of comparison, have you used Lapua Scenar bullets? If so, how does their performance and mode of action differ, if any, from that of the VLD ?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by czech1022

Well that may work for me as I have 185VLDs, if that qualifies as “very heavy”?!?!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Docbill
John:
As point of comparison, have you used Lapua Scenar bullets? If so, how does their performance and mode of action differ, if any, from that of the VLD ?

Just me, but the 220 Scenars from a 30 Nosler/300 RUM and the 139's from a 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC have acted more like a Ballistic Tip or semi tough cup and core bullet (normal entrances, 1.5"-2" exits on deer and bear). Sorry, I have 0 experience with the Bergers to compare them to.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Coyote10
And as far as penetrating a couple inches before opening up like a berger is supposed to, a boring old flat based interlock will do that out of an 06 every single time. I comprehend my friend. Those massive trauma vld experiences usually result in a hit bone somewhere along the line. But like I said before, thats what I prefer. My opinion only.

Yeah, it is your opinion only. The soft-nosed or plastic-tipped expanding bullets I have tested in various kinds of media and animals (including plenty of Interlocks) have started expanding immediately upon contacting hide--and usually fully expand before the bullet penetrates its own length. Very few conventional big game bullets are longer than about 1-1/2 inches. So if you're talking about how it takes Interlocks a couple inches to START to expand, then you don't know what you're talking about. It may take them a couple inches to completely expand, but that is NOT the same thing.

The reason Bergers don't start to expand until well AFTER they hit hide is the nose--which isn't actually a hollow-point. Instead the tip is usually closed so much, it's impossible to stick a sewing needle through the hole. The inside of the jacket behind the tip is hollow, meaning there's an air-space of at least 1/4" in front of the lead core, and often more. As a result, the very sharp (and closed) tip punches through the skin and first couple inches of whatever's behind it--whether muscle, lung tissue, ribs or even somewhat heavier bone--like a knitting needle. This often results in an entry hole so tiny that the hair must be parted to find it--the reason the photo of the red stag doesn't show an obvious entrance hole behind its shoulder--and that's the side I shot.

Unless a Berger hits extremely heavy bone right behind the hide, it takes a couple inches for the sharp point to collapse. It does NOT "mushroom" outward like typical soft-point, plastic-tipped or hollow-point bullet, but collapses like an empty aluminum can being crushed. At that point the bullet often disintegrates into shreds of lead and jacket, the "shrapnel" that causes the massive internal damage. Though sometimes, if the bullet's velocity has dropped enough, occasionally the rear of the core will be found inside the rear of the jacket--which is what most hunters consider "appropriate" expansion.

In 2007 several companions and I went to New Zealand to thoroughly field-test Berger VLDs on the often over-abundant non-native animals that infest the islands. The Bergers used ranged from 115-grain .25s to 185-grain .30s, and the cartridges included the .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum. They were tested on feral goats and sheep, plus fallow deer and red deer at ranges out to over 550 yards, and the ONLY bullet recovered that had any core remaining in the rear of the jacket was a 140-grain 6.5mm on a mature billy goat taken at around 500 yards. Even then, the lead-filled "shank" was only at most 1/4" long--and the goat didn't fall nearly as quickly as those where the bullet "disintegrated."

In fact when we first started hunting it took a while to get a handle on how fast the Bergers killed on typical broadside, behind-the-shoulder rib shots. This was because the bullets often hit the spine or part of the shoulder. But eventually my wife managed to make a "pure" rib shot on a big billy goat at 200 yards with the 115-grain .25 VLD. The goat was standing on a steep hillside, and at the shot collapsed and rolled down the hill, apparently immediately dead.

We then carefully necropsied the goat--which first required finding the entrance hole, which was so tiny it could have been made by a knitting needle. The hole through the rib behind the skin was a little bigger, but still not more than .25". Only when we opened the chest cavity was there any damage of the kind usually found with expanding bullets--which as with the red stag was massive.
This performance was consistent thoughout the testing--including one fallow deer female my wife took with a head-shot, as requested by the lodge's cook. The entrance hole was was tiny, even though skull-bone was right underneath the hide, but the exit hole was around an inch in diameter.

This matches the results from various kinds of test media--including clear ballistic gelation, which reveals exactly how and when bullets expand during slow-motion video. The results were also the same in the wax Test Tube, which retains the shape of the wound channel. I may show post some Test Tube photos here, which compare the wound channels of "standard" bullets with Bergers.

All together we took more animals with than Bergers than the 20 you've taken. And all of us have used Bergers elsewhere, again considerably.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've never recovered a berger that retained lead in the jacket, shoot your berger my friend, I'm glad you found something you like. I did with an interlock and accubond. It's all about what fits each person's need. And the 20 animals were in one week of hunting. I lost count on the deer taken with various bullets over the years. Those 20 were with a 6.5 156 elite hunter and they weren't so elite in my experience.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's a photo of two Test Tubes, showing the difference in how a soft-point bullet expands, and a Berger expands. The top Test Tube was shot with a soft-point bullet, and the bottom one with a Berger of the same diameter and weight. Its obvious that the soft-point started expanding immediately upon hitting the wax, and the Berger didn't start to open until it had penetrated some.

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
John, I for one would certainly enjoy seeing those photos! One question, how was the meat damage with the Bergers? Especially thinking bloodshot meat. Thanks

Edit, oops, se the pictures. Thanks!

Last edited by Jevyod; 03/10/23.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
John, I for one would certainly enjoy seeing those photos! One question, how was the meat damage with the Bergers? Especially thinking bloodshot meat. Thanks

You beat my posting of the photos by a little!

One of the interesting things about Bergers is that unless you shoot them into the thicker muscles, there's just about no meat damage around the entrance hole--or the exit hole, IF they exit. (They often don't.)

A good example is a pronghorn buck I took at a lasered 162 yards with the 6.5 140-grain VLD, from a 6.5-06. Eileen and I like pronghorn as much as any wild game, but often some shoulder meat is lost even when a typical expanding bullet lands behind the shoulders. I've even seen it happen with Barnes TTSXs at closer ranges, and monolithics generally damage noticeably less meat than lead-cores.

But in this instance I placed the Berger about a hands-width behind the shoulder, and not only was there the typical Berger knitting-needle hole through the ribs, but the bullet exited, leaving about a 1" hole in the far ribs. The knitting-needle and 1" hole through the ribs were the extent of the "meat damage," with nothing blood-shot.

John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great information

Have been looking for some Berger 270 cal 170gr to try in my 1:8 I have coming. Have not found any yet.

In a 1:10 twist 270 WCF, what Berger would you suggest for deer/antelope size game?

Last edited by CRS; 03/10/23.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thats an impressive test and good to have a visual. But look how the berger stopped and the soft point kept on going. But as fas as design, looks like the berger lived up to it. But it's clear that the soft point out did it in that particular test. Larger wound channel, larger exit, and better penetration. At the end of the day, nothing is surviving that.

Last edited by Coyote10; 03/10/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,360
Posts18,527,169
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.