Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone have any experience or tips for a East Afognak spring bear hunt? Looking for transporter recommendations, gear tips, what to expect or plan for. Good buddy of mine drew for spring ‘24 and trying to help him out. I’ve hunted the other end of Kodiak multiple times but this is my first time to Afognak and his first time to Kodiak.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roland at seahawk would be the one getting a call far as transporters go.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 79S
Roland at seahawk would be the one getting a call far as transporters go.

Thanks 79s

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used Andrew Airways as a transporter for an Afognak hunt, with no complaints. Seahawk has good reviews too though.

I am guessing the bugs can be bad in the spring there, depending on how early you go. They were BAD in the fall, on the Raspberry Straits. The brush there is also absolutely intense...alders that look waist high will be well over your head and they can hide bears really well. If you've hunted Kodiak then I won't waste my time explaining rain gear requirements. Bring a few days worth of extra food in case you're weathered in the the planes can't come get you.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I used Andrew Airways as a transporter for an Afognak hunt, with no complaints. Seahawk has good reviews too though.

I am guessing the bugs can be bad in the spring there, depending on how early you go. They were BAD in the fall, on the Raspberry Straits. The brush there is also absolutely intense...alders that look waist high will be well over your head and they can hide bears really well. If you've hunted Kodiak then I won't waste my time explaining rain gear requirements. Bring a few days worth of extra food in case you're weathered in the the planes can't come get you.

Andrew airs is no more.. Island Air bought them hell happened back in 2019-2020. Seahawk when we were their loaned us their van to run around when we were shipping stuff back out of kodiak. If I ever hunted kodiak again seahawk would get my business.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tide book, snowshoes, here is a super valuable tip, for spring you want to know when the herring season is for that location, and if there is any way to learn the probable opening date.. Have had good luck there using a predator call, also had a yucky experience there doing that. Have guided there and sometimes not seen one bear or bear track. Been there when there was four to five feet of snow. They have some huge processor ships there for the herring season. They are very, very loud, 24 hours a day. There can be 20 or more other herring boats in the same bay. Have fun. There will be one or two Guide Camps. Be good to do the research, who is operating there and contact them.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/07/23.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Andrew airs is no more.. Island Air bought them hell happened back in 2019-2020. Seahawk when we were their loaned us their van to run around when we were shipping stuff back out of kodiak. If I ever hunted kodiak again seahawk would get my business.

Wow, that is the first I have heard of that. Andrews’ website is still up and gives no indication that they closed but I guess that doesn’t mean anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roland at Seahawk is great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seahawks is great, but so is Island. Never had issues with either.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Wow, that is the first I have heard of that. Andrews’ website is still up and gives no indication that they closed but I guess that doesn’t mean anything.

Give’em a call goes straight to island air. Same same Pard..

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the info, any insight on boat-based transport or is that not advisable?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by highcountry
Thanks for the info, any insight on boat-based transport or is that not advisable?
Personally, I think boat-based is the best anc I did that for a very long time.

Avoid Ten Bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by highcountry
Personally, I think boat-based is the best anc I did that for a very long time.

Avoid Ten Bears...
Noted. Thanks

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
OnX is quite helpful in avoiding some of those alder patches on the way up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was checking in my 10 footer at the check in station on Kodiak a bunch of years ago I eas proud as a peacock.
When Larry was done measuring and extracting a tooth from the huge skull, a guy walked in, he had just finished a hunt on Afognak.
His bear was an absolute monster.
29" + on the skull and 10' 5 on the perfect hide.
I think it was the biggest bear killed that year.
It was humbling.
Good Luck.

Proud NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks all

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 79S

I work for Island Air. We transport a lot of hunters to Afognak. Nothing wrong with Rolan, he's the senior pilot on the island now that Steve Harvey retired. He's a one- man show with one airplane so he's spread spread pretty thin at times. We have 5 float planes now so much better chance to get out. Willy,Jay or Keller will do you good too. No bad transporters on Kodiak. Afognak bears are ornery. Make sure you kill one.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.