Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
About 15 years ago on the opening day of rifle elk in Montana, a bunch of successful hunters gathered at the McDonalds in Livingston. There was a group of about 5 client hunters with their outfitters. I remember one of the hunters still had the price tags attached to his hunting outfit. True story.

Hunting with a guide/outfitters is not hunting, zero hunting skills required, basically it's shooting.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/10/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take the bro hunter over the liberal treehugger always.
Why we divide ourselves I'll never know.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There's a lot of ass holes that hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by CCCC
The campfire continues to deliver…I know several of the type described by the OP. Some barely hunt at all and just want to look the part. Others however, do hunt and are also often the 6.5 Creed, flat brimmed types that are also constantly bitched about. The thing is many, many of them would absolutely crush the vast majority of hunters on the ‘Fire, even back in their prime. - - - - -
That is an interesting statement. Kindly explain exactly what that means, in terms of hunting prowess.
It means some of those ‘bro hunters’ being looked down upon here hunt significantly harder, put more time in, know how to hunt better and are way more successful than a lot of the hunters here complaining about ‘bro hunters’ ever did. You knew that though.
Thanks for the explanation. If that is what "crush" means, I didn't know that. I am not smart enough - don't have the ability to accurately assess the methods and skills of hunters I have never met and then compare those with some guys I know.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's worse (especially here in Virginia) with the dog runners vs still hunters. Everything east of the Blue Ridge Mtns is overrun with deer hounds during hunting season. Year after year after year. Once hunting season is over, the local SPCA shelters are packed to capacity with leftover/loose/run off, deer hounds from the clubs.

Unless you know somebody knows somebody with private land, you're basically SOL, as the public WMA lands are a freakin' joke. All the deer instantly go nocturnal once they know it's hunting season.

When I actually do have time to get out into the woods, I will get up at the wee early morning hours, drive 2+ hours west, over to the other side of the Blue Ridge Mtns, where it's more spread out, and you have the massive George Washington National Forest & Jefferson National Forest areas. AND NO DEER HOUNDS!

Last edited by ButchA61; 03/10/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
a gun setup by Gunwerks

I loathe, with a blue balled passion, purposeful misspellings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The campfire continues to deliver…I know several of the type described by the OP. Some barely hunt at all and just want to look the part. Others however, do hunt and are also often the 6.5 Creed, flat brimmed types that are also constantly bitched about. The thing is many, many of them would absolutely crush the vast majority of hunters on the ‘Fire, even back in their prime. - - - - -
That is an interesting statement. Kindly explain exactly what that means, in terms of hunting prowess.
It means some of those ‘bro hunters’ being looked down upon here hunt significantly harder, put more time in, know how to hunt better and are way more successful than a lot of the hunters here complaining about ‘bro hunters’ ever did. You knew that though.
Thanks for the explanation. If that is what "crush" means, I didn't know that. I am not smart enough - don't have the ability to accurately assess the methods and skills of hunters I have never met and then compare those with some guys I know.

That came off a bit more snooty than I intended so I apologize for that.

I have been around and paid attention enough though to have a solid idea of the average hunter on these forums, and their experience (or lack there of). It isn’t hard to put 2 and 2 together with most any regular poster and especially those who complain about or mock how other hunters do their thing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Its a gradual thing. It kind of creeps like a glacier but I am tired of bro hunters. Bro Hunters are those guys who act like they are professional sports athletes and dress in Sitka, Kuiu or Stone Glacier when they are in regular public. They talk about their gearlists or some new technology and speak this language about using FATMAPS or E-Scouting and have like 5 million followers on Insta. They have all of the Yeti apparel and have a gun setup by Gunwerks or some other shop that charges 10 K for their hunting outfit. They never care about the stalk or the meat that they get in the process but want the grip and grin pic for their accounts.

Bro hunters are often my bread and butter when it comes to selling swaro. But I worry that they don't read very much and just model for the camera or for their followers. I think of Frank Billum the old chief that taught me how to track and hunt moose and I think that he wouldn't even call what they do hunting. I will probably get flamed for this but maybe I am just getting old and time marches on.

I'm the type they laugh about, and I'm fine with it. I usually wear 25 year old camo in 3 different patterns and my rifle cost me 400 bucks in 1996.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SKane
I know several of the type described by the OP. Some barely hunt at all and just want to look the part. Others however, do hunt and are also often the 6.5 Creed, flat brimmed types that are also constantly bitched about. The thing is many, many of them would absolutely crush the vast majority of hunters on the ‘Fire, even back in their prime.

I agree with this - tis why I try to refrain from painting with too broad of brush.

This is my take as well. Some of of the antics I see out of the younger guys (I'm only 40) I find a little off-putting or annoying but there are a lot of them that are fantastic hunters. That can't be taken away from them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't let what other folks do bother me

Hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine is
what I say

Just don't bitch about me successfully using
old "obsolete " equipment that was made decades
before you were conceived. I can kill animals and
catch fish and get them in the freezer without
having to pay somebody to properly cut them
up for me, and get it done by the regulations

Go do your own thing and don't fret over me

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I don't let what other folks do bother me

Hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine is
what I say

Just don't bitch about me successfully using
old "obsolete " equipment that was made decades
before you were conceived. I can kill animals and
catch fish and get them in the freezer without
having to pay somebody to properly cut them
up for me, and get it done by the regulations

Go do your own thing and don't fret over me

Well huh...saved me some typing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't GAS what another man wears. For anything.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I tried to watch some contemporary hunting shows and about ralphed up supper. Who the fugk does man-hugs, high fives and back slaps when they clobber a deer? I'm in my mid 60s and have been hunting a long time, but try that crap around the guys I've hunted with and you be suspected of fa gotry and probably punched in the snot-box.

A ratty 4 point, or doe

Nah, I wouldn’t hug my partner over that. I might kick him up the ass with a boot. But it aint ever gonna happen anyway. Trigger control

Now a 10-12 pt. Yea, we gonna fist bump and do Bill and Ted air guitars
🤣👍🏻🤣🤣👍🏻🤣

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That came off a bit more snooty than I intended so I apologize for that.

I have been around and paid attention enough though to have a solid idea of the average hunter on these forums, and their experience (or lack there of). It isn’t hard to put 2 and 2 together with most any regular poster and especially those who complain about or mock how other hunters do their thing.

Yep. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Crap. I wear/like kuiu. And to top it off I will moose hunt for a week in simms waders. So that makes me a fly swatting bro Hunter. 😂

I do know the type the op speaks of and yes, it they can be a little over the top. But at least they ain’t dressed like a chick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Living here in a tourist destination we see it all the time, IMO it's a generational behavior thing. Yes, there are some real outdoor extreme athletes...but a lot more are exactly the posers you describe...the particular sport is irrelevant. You got your mountain climbers, properly dressed in the latest...but found hanging out in the micro brew/pizza joints in Mt Shasta city. You got your whitewater kayakers, properly attired, the kayaks on the Subaru without even a rock scratch on the hull. The mountain bikers, no signs of any wrecks or scratches on the bikes. All sports, but the kings of the money display game are by far the Overlanders. They have already bought the most expensive high clearance 4x4's in the auto market equipped to the max...then the real money starts, every modification, every accessory, every rooftop presto apartment tent house, it's just mind boggling. But again, no scratches, no dents, no dirt. The snow boarders are probably the most honest of all...ratty ass cars, high dollar snowboard, glazed look from cannabis gummy bears, visible bruises, cuts and soaking wet.

Perfectly describes a young relative of mine. She's a hoot, but she's out there doing scheidt of all varieties. usually not too glazed eyes though.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Reminds me of the Keeblers on 260 acres behind slumlords house.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🥴🤣🥴

35 pd day packs full of deer hunting gadgets
400 bucks worth of scentlock clothing.
300 dollar boots
With ill zeroed rifles or dry sewer pipe bore muzzle loaders.
Gut shooting deer all over the place...
That is the ones that they can see and shoot under 50 yards with their Mt Palomar ant smoking glasses.

🥴🤣🤣🥴

Last edited by renegade50; 03/10/23.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There's a lot of ass holes that hunt.

Nothing like proving your own point.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by AKduck
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by AKduck
Change is a scary thing. Some of that new gear works well.

I’d imagine a lot of dudes that have wet, cold, and harsh hunting conditions for a typical business day have made changes to their gear as better equipment has evolved.

Why be as miserable, like we always were, when we were younger and poorer?

🦫

Agreed. The comments crack me up. If you aren’t wearing a loin cloth and chasing a mammoth with a stick you’re just a trendy bitch.

Loin cloth…

Lol

🦫

No loincloth, but wool cargos and some primitive footwear when it's dry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe some Teva sandals and even a couple of time barefoot if I decide that's proper attire.

Vasque boots, Danners, Red Wings, LL Bean's, or even some snow boots depending on worse than dry conditions.

Having worked in the Alsea drainage, for coastal OR I'd have no problem in my Helly Hansen's and hip waders!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It is all just gear or equipment as some say.
However, remember a poor workman always blames his equipment or gear.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 7 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.