No Schidt!

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RIO7
Whats the best place to shoot a Elk?? BY THE RODE Rio7

In Montana it's "the uphill side of the road."

My biggest bull, probably less than 300 inches but big bodied, fell about a half mile uphill from where we could eventually get an ATV. It was very considerate of him to be there. It was steep enough downhill grade that my friend and I could slide and drag him down in one trip.

My friend poses with him. He broke a left side point off from his fall up high and to the right.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Can't just paint elk hunting with a broad brush, like some are doing here.

A DIY horseback trip 20 miles + into a wilderness area and encountering winter like weather is definitely not an easy hunt. Those here that have done it know what I am talking about. Those that have not can only wonder.

Then there is my wife's cousin, who filled her elk tag with a 5 point bull while sitting in a pick up parked on a saddle, reading a book. Dropped the bull right on the two track, gut pile between the tracks for others to envy.

But in my experience, don't count on filling your tag on the road.

But some kill them out of their back yard. Same as any other game animal.

I would be curious as to your guess of the percentage of the total elk kill nationwide that were killed in the hunter's backyard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wait till the sheep hunters start chiming in

No Schidt!
My best friend was a sheep hunter.
Best human being I ever knew.
We were friends for 35 years.
We shared the glory, we shared the pain.
I miss him every single day.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elk do seem to bring out the best and worst of people, here and elsewhere. I do not know why but I have noticed it too.

I've killed my fair share, though nothing real big. All Rocky Mountain bulls have been general season public land, DIY and all but one have been solo. I wouldn't have it any other way. It is just how I like to do things. I have never drawn a LE Rocky Mountain bull tag, in any state and I put in for a lot of them. I did draw a Rosey bull tag in Alaska though.

To be fair, I know some absolute bad asses of other disciplines who don't hunt at all and would absolutely whip my ass if I were to try their passions. It's just the way the world turns...

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RIO7
Whats the best place to shoot a Elk?? BY THE RODE Rio7

In Montana it's "the uphill side of the road."

My biggest bull, probably less than 300 inches but big bodied, fell about a half mile uphill from where we could eventually get an ATV. It was very considerate of him to be there. It was steep enough downhill grade that my friend and I could slide and drag him down in one trip.

My friend poses with him. He broke a left side point off from his fall up high and to the right.

George,

Good bull! (And good to hear you got him on the "correct" side of the road....)

You planning on coming through Montana again anytime soon?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Elk hunting is over-rated in regard to how tough it is. Yeah, you can't be a total couch potato. You have to be able to hike and pack. But, its not as tough as most make is sound either.

They aren't my favorite thing to hunt, not even in my top 5. My entire life has been a good time to be an elk hunter. Makes sense to take advantage of what's best at the time.

First elk, November 1980...

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

83rd elk, December 2022

A few favorites:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a Hell of a lot harder to find Elk than it is to kill them, But killing a Elk does not make your pecker any Bigger. Rio7

Life’s worthless analogies, finding elk and dick size.

Who cares how big their dick is as long as it works?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Show me a gent that can kill Blacktail in NW Oregon, or western wa, consistently,that’s impressive. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I live in Wisconsin where hunting deer is almost a religion...

Once you kill an elk.... deer hunting takes a back seat.... it's never the same after that.

I run into some serious deer hunters... And I just think... "buddy... If you want to get serious.... "

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting an elk is sort of a rite of passage in western elk communities. Everybody gets a deer, but the elk thing can take more effort. You've kind of arrived when you fill the freezer with a elk and more so if it's a bull.

As far as the pack-out, so many seem to fear it and absolutely dread the process. I think it just adds to the experience of earning it. With a decent pack, decent footwear, and being in reasonable shape, it ain't as bad as many make it sound. With even one partner, getting an elk out helps a bunch and in my opinion adds to the "team" experience. Even if it means you're packing somebody else's elk.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know how much more manly it makes you, I’d need to convert to LDS and get a second wife if I got much more manly, but it’s way cooler than sitting in a box shooting a deer at a corn feeder that you’ve been looking at trail cam pics of for three years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk is my spirit animal and I've never killed one.

And killing in general(recreation or otherwise) has really waned in the last 4-5 years.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Elk is my spirit animal and I've never killed one.

And killing in general(recreation or otherwise) has really waned in the last 4-5 years.

i hear ya.

I kill porcupines though.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I kill porcupines though.

And it ain't even their fault!

Yeah, you don't want to run one through a corn chopper and have it end up in the silage pile.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That said, give me a wild pheasant hunt like I had growing up on the Sacramento Delta and I would be hard pressed....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM
That said, give me a wild pheasant hunt like I had growing up on the Sacramento Delta and I would be hard pressed....

A big rooster flushing in front of your dog's steady point and a perfect retrieve after the shot and an elk bugling in the big draw below you on a frosty september morning at first light.

That would be tough to choose

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk hunting can be as difficult as you want to make it, or as easy as helping around the ranch.

The funny part is how many folks know that their way is the best.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Backroads
Elk hunting can be as difficult as you want to make it, or as easy as helping around the ranch.

The funny part is how many folks know that their way is the best.

It’s no magic, but takes hard work or money like everything else worth a [bleep] in life. Some are easy; some are hard. A motivated person can obtain an elk if wanted. I agree with you 100%. Sometimes luck. Don’t discount luck. Killing an elk doesn’t add to a man, but surely it doesn’t detract either. If you haven’t killed one and have had ample opportunity I would be more likely to question you, than to idolize someone that has.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nothing like the blood rush of a successful hunt done fair chase, on foot, away from roads and vehicles..

nothing like the hard work of a five mile pack on foot, four trips, at altitude, of an animal...

however, only a moose or an elk can provide the wonder of best meat from a spike or bull or cow or calf....

turning down a shot at a broadside 7X7 spindle bull was my highlight of elk hunting. it was a skinny two year old with narrow short tines,, and responded to my cow call...

and I let it go... That is elk hunting at its best: passing on a mature bull for whatever reason... for me... muzzle loader... next time...

Last edited by jameister; 03/11/23.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (160user, 264mag, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 32 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.