Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I got a First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 for Christmas this year- my first and only puffy jacket- and have worn it deer hunting once and duck hunting a few times, but am not *really* sure what the best system is for layering around it. For those who use a similar jacket in your system, what else are you wearing?

I usually had Sitka lightweight and heavyweight base layers on, and a Sitka Cold Weather Traverse Hoody underneath the puffy, sometimes I’d add a vest when it was super cold.

If I had to walk through brush however, I put the puffy underneath my CW Traverse hoody as it seems to be a little more protective, but the insulation in the puffy jacket didn’t seem to work as well when it was squished.

Last edited by JJWise; 03/12/23.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wear a thin KUIU down jacket a pretty good bit for a insulation layer. I wear a soft shell over it when I’m in and out of the woods.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hike hot to real hot so my big puffy is for sitting when it’s real cold. I’d burn up trying to bust brush in that thing. My layering was similar to yours last year, lightweight wool base, Sitka heavyweight hoody, down vest or mid weight jacket, then the big puffy. This was sitting/glassing in single digit-low 20’s and windy. When it came time to move the big puffy went in the pack.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Ccard257
I hike hot to real hot so my big puffy is for sitting when it’s real cold.

I agree, most days I couldn’t stand to keep that puffy on while setting decoys, and I tried to wear it on a cold day while walking the dog and got too hot. But it was sure nice to have once everything was settled down and we were just waiting on daylight.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I guess I read more into the last comment of layering over it for protection not when and if the insulation is needed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJWise
If I had to walk through brush however, I put the puffy underneath my CW Traverse hoody as it seems to be a little more protective, but the insulation in the puffy jacket didn’t seem to work as well when it was squished.

There’s reasons why softshells were created,

There’s reasons why hardshells were created,

There’s reasons why Puffys were created,

Has you mentioned above, None are perfect in all situations,

To somewhat answer your question, Any decent Puffy is for stationary purposes, And it will likely be part of a layering system.

I tried the First Lite Chamberlain puffy last year, Think I’d be too warm even stationary in that piece,

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I wear a thin KUIU down jacket a pretty good bit for a insulation layer. I wear a soft shell over it when I’m in and out of the woods.

I bought one of those a few years ago, before a trip to the Brooks Range. Interesting jacket, quite thin for a puffy. I often squish it down and put it into a pocket on my pack while hiking, then put it on when I'm going to be stationary for quite a while, glassing etc...

Usually it ends up going over my base layer and under a gore-tex shell. That seems to work out well, and offers the KUIU some protection as well. It fits snug enough that I can easily wear a fleece layer over it if necessary.

Guy

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Cascade
Usually it ends up going over my base layer and under a gore-tex shell. That seems to work out well, and offers the KUIU some protection as well. It fits snug enough that I can easily wear a fleece layer over it if necessary.

Guy

Any thoughts on a specific shell to go over the puffy? Ideally something that I can wear on its own when getting to my spot that will hold up to brush and moisture

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TruSpec ECWCS H20 parka:

~$110.

Brands like Marmot, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Black Diamond, etc. have great offerings that weigh less and cost more.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Find a material that isn't too loud when it rubs ion the puffy fabric. Fleece works pretty well for quietness.
I've worn my heavy wool coat over a puffy in better cold temps.
A wind blocking layer either under it or over works great.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i wear a silk type material base layer, then a waffle fleece 1/4 zip, then a wool button up. my Sitka puffy is for sitting in the cold and i have a water proof shell to go over it if it's really nasty

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12
my Sitka puffy is for sitting in the cold and i have a water proof shell to go over it if it's really nasty

That’s basically what I’m looking for as well. Leaning towards the Sitka Dew Point right now, the reviews I’ve read sound like it’s pretty durable which to me is more important than completely waterproof, though it seems to be both.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an Eddie Bauer down puffy that I wear over my base layer and shirt under a wind/water proof shell when sitting for a while. When I’m moving it stuffs into my pack. Certainly not a boutique hunting brand, but it works. I do a bit of walking in to my hunt spots but log way more time sitting than hiking.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Merino shirt (thin,med,thick depending) and a Woolrich shirt. Then puffy. If it's in the single digits, I have a puffy vest aswell.

Both the puffy and vest are on the thinner side, as far as puffy's go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.