Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My accuracy load for my .325 WSM uses the 175-gn Pro Hunter at around 2700 fps. Pretty mild load. I wonder, is that bullet any good for hunting? I have a deep distrust of Sierra's for hunting... how about the Pro Hunter, for deer and black bear?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It'll do the job.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a deep distrust of Sierra's for hunting...

You read too much unadulterated Pure BS, on these forums.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always had good luck with Pro-Hunters. Mostly they've been 100 grain 6mm semi-pointeds , but the 170 7mm RN was also a very good bullet as is the 160 semi-pointed 6.5. Sierra uses some good core alloys to control their bullets' performance. If you get around the hype and see for yourself I think you will be pleased. Just don't try to use them in ways they weren't intended. (That isn't a Southern Pacific bullet to be used on a Northern Pacific freight train. Translation: don't attempt a "gastric bypass" on an elk with it.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I will say, in my informal newsprint tests with my .358, the only bullet to shed it's core was a Sierra. However it tore hell out of the newsprint on the way in and went 12" as opposed to the Partitions 13", so...

DesertSandMan, I take it you've used the Pro Hunter with good results?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ditto what Desert Sandamn says.
I have used Pro hbunters and Game KIngs for many years. The elk and deer I shot this year died from them. Thelk was 5 yds from muzzle end of my .06. 180 gr Gane Kings went all the way through. If a bullet was going to come apart it should have at that distance. The 220 gr RN Pro Hunters I use usually get complete pass though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DesertSandMan, I take it you've used the Pro Hunter with good results?

Jeff,
Your summation is correct, I've never had a bad experience I could attribute to a Sierra ProHunter or GameKing.

Dan

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the Sierra Pro-hunters in my 250 Savage and taken game reliably and all were one shot kills with full through and through penetration. These have been on Antelope up to large Muley bucks. I have also used a pro-hunter out of my Swede on Elk and had similiar results. Ryan

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting... I want to like 'em, because they sure shoot accuratly in the rifle! When I want an accuracy load, I look to Ballistic Tips and Sierra's...

I'll shoot my 175's over a chrono and see what I've got going. I think I could push them to near 3100 fps, at which point I would certainly not use the Sierra (sorry Sierra fans!) but at my estimated 2700-ish fps I bet they'd be great on the local bear and deer.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The most accurate load in my .257 Roberts is a 100 grn Sierra pro Hunter at about 2950 fps. The first deer I ever killed with it was at about 200 yards angled through the chest. I recovered the bullet under the hide on the far side. The bullet was perfectly mushroomed and weighed 94 grains. I don't think I could have asked for better performance.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-I've used the Sierra brand since 1978, I've had no reason to doubt it whether I am running the bullets and slow speeds and or hot rock speeds.

For what you're prescribing I feel they would work great.

The distrust you talk about is it from experience on game or something else?

Lastly how's the 195 Hornady shooting in your rig?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used them out of an 06 for years for whitetail. I did not reload then so they were Federal Premiums with the Pro Hunters as well as the Game Kings. I never had any problem with them and have many on my reloading shelves now along with Hornady, Nosler and Barnes. There are not any of the Main players in the bullet industry that dont have critics and on the net who really knows what is fact and what is just somebody spouting off. I'll keep going by my own experience and those few guys that I know and trust.

Long

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting... veddy veddy interesting!

Mark, I have no experience on game wit Sierra's, only excellent results on paper. Sierra's are routinely "dogged" for blowing up and core/jacket seperations so I've gone other directions. However, it sounds like there's an element of myth to the "problems" I have heard about!

The 195 Hornady is great! Here's a pic of the the group I shot with 'em a few days ago:

[Linked Image]

It's only a 3-shot group, but it's .675 center to center. Also got a .55 group with the Sierra's that day. I was shooting well, and holding onto the foreend of the rifle TIGHT. That seems to be the ticket with it.

However it appears the Hornady 195 is not an Interlock, which is too bad. At least it doesn't say it is on the box.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just checked the web site. Seems to indicate it's an interlock.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff- I gotta believe that they're Interlocks, call the good people at Hornady and find out for sure is what I'd do.

One thing I know for sure about those that dog Sierra's. Like most things in life those with the least amount of experience with something tend to say the worst things. And or make things tons load tougher than it ever need be.

I've seen more elk taken with 130 Sierra BT's out a 270 than most people will ever kill in a life time of hunting elk. Never had a problemo and don't spect to either.

Seriously if you want to use those 170's go out and fill up an ark with them. They'll no doubt do the job if you do yours.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Huh! Well, that would be good news if indeed it's an Interlock. I've called Hornady before about the 200-IL I use in my .358; good folks. I'll give 'em a jingle. Because, seriously an 195-gn 8mm Interlock is going to do most of what I want to do with that rifle, short of elk. Not that it wouldn't do that, but I'll use a TSX just for the insurance factor.

Since we are givin' Sierra's the love here, have any of you guys ever heard of the "Sierra stalk"?

I sure wish I lived somewhere where killing your ONE, SINGLE, HARD-TO-KILL buck wasn't the reality. I tend to get very conservative with my choices and use what everyone says will work fine or what has worked in the past for me. Usually, that means a Partition. It'd be fun to be filling 4 or 5 deer and elk tags and be able to experiment more.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool Nope but I've heard of and seen first hand the Sierra Siesta...grins

Dober

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I've got a tag left yet and some Sierra's loaded in my 8mm so I'll try to bag one and give a report!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Jeff,

I believe the 175 grain Sierra was actually designed for 8mm Mauser velocities. I use them in my two 8x57s for warming up with mild loads. I use the 200 grain Partions and Accubonds for hunting. Never had a chance to test on elk yet, but they sure work well on deer sized game. I would think the Horndaddy will do fine for elk and the 175 will do deer well in the 325. I'll get a good opportunity for an elk test with the 8x57 and the 200 grainers later this week. I would love to test some of the 195s myself.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 300WM I use a lot suddenly and unexpectedly decided to hate Xs. To test accuracy I always use Sierras to maximize potential and analyze problems. The Pro-HUnters have shined repeatedly. Have used the 180 for moose, black bear, a NM oryx, WT and Sitka deer, I find it a pretty decent bullet and seldom have recovered one...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.