[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My question would be what exactly did Christianity bring to the table that wasn't already there?

Well, to my mind, quite a bit…..God coming to earth in the flesh…… God living and teaching on earth in the personhood of Jesus….. Jesus as a living example of a holy God….. Jesus enabling a holy relationship with God via his death/shed blood on the cross …Jesus’ resurrection …. and the gifting of the Holy Spirit….and of course there is now the indwelling of God….

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My question would be what exactly did Christianity bring to the table that wasn't already there?

Easier to do this. Here:

https://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2016/november-december/how-christianity-changed-the-world

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you think?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
To answer Jim's question, everything.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Do y’all think that Jesus meant for it to be a ‘way of life’ or just another system of faith and worship (a religion).

Pard Antlers, Some people view Christianity as a way of life that encompasses all aspects of their existence, while others may see it primarily as a system of faith and worship. There are many different interpretations of the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and individuals may choose to prioritize certain aspects of these teachings over others.

Ultimately, the nature and meaning of Christianity is a deeply personal and subjective matter that can vary widely based on individual beliefs and experiences.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pard Conrad,
Christianity emerged from the Jewish tradition and was heavily influenced by the teachings of Jesus and his followers. While there were certainly other religious and philosophical traditions in existence at the time of Christianity's emergence, Christianity brought several unique elements to the table that set it apart from these other traditions.

One of the most significant contributions of Christianity was its emphasis on love, compassion, and forgiveness. Jesus taught that individuals should love their enemies and turn the other cheek, ideas that were revolutionary in their time and continue to be influential today. Christianity also introduced the concept of the Trinity, which holds that God exists as three distinct persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) in one divine being.

In addition, Christianity brought a new perspective on the nature of sin and redemption. According to Christian teachings, all humans are born with a sinful nature and must be saved through faith in Jesus Christ in order to achieve eternal life. This emphasis on salvation and the possibility of redemption was a departure from many other religious traditions of the time.

Overall, Christianity introduced a unique set of beliefs, practices, and values that continue to have a profound impact on individuals and societies around the world.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Do y’all think that Jesus meant for it to be a ‘way of life’ or just another system of faith and worship (a religion).

I think that Jesus was trying to get the Jewish religion back to its roots. In those days the Jewish religion WAS a way of life. I don't think Jesus had any intention of starting a new religion.

Pard Indy, There are certainly scholars and religious historians who argue that Jesus' teachings were aimed at reforming the Jewish faith and restoring it to its original spiritual and moral principles. Jesus himself was Jewish, and many of his teachings and parables drew heavily from Jewish scripture and tradition.

However, it's worth noting that the emergence of Christianity as a distinct religion was a gradual and complex process that unfolded over many years and was influenced by a variety of cultural, social, and political factors. While it's possible that Jesus did not intend to start a new religion, the spread of his teachings and the growth of the early Christian community eventually led to the development of a separate and distinct religious tradition.

Regardless of how one interprets the historical origins of Christianity, there is no denying the profound impact that this religion has had on the world and on the lives of countless individuals over the centuries. Whether viewed as a continuation of Jewish tradition or as a new and distinct religious movement, Christianity has brought a unique set of beliefs, values, and practices to the world that continue to inspire and influence millions of people today.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jesus said that it's God's will that ALL men be saved. For that to be true, it's necessary for the word to be sent to every person who has ever lived, no matter when or where. Everyone, everywhere has to be given a chance. We aren't told how God reaches Amazon tribesmen or villagers in darkest Africa. We are told that God will issue a call for everyone who he knows will answer. How that call is made, we can only speculate. It's still the blood of Jesus that saves them, though, whether they know his name or not.

Pard Chuck, The idea that God desires the salvation of all humanity and that the blood of Jesus is necessary for that salvation is a core belief of Christianity. However, the question of how God extends salvation to individuals who have never heard the Gospel message is a complex and contested issue within Christian theology.

Some theologians and religious leaders argue that God extends salvation to all individuals, regardless of their knowledge or acceptance of the Gospel message. This view is sometimes referred to as "inclusivism" and holds that individuals can be saved through the workings of God's grace, even if they have never had access to the Christian message.

Others, however, take a more exclusive view of salvation and argue that faith in Jesus Christ is necessary for salvation. This view is sometimes referred to as "exclusivism" and holds that those who have never heard the Gospel message will not be saved unless they explicitly accept Jesus as their savior.

Ultimately, the question of how God extends salvation to individuals who have never heard the Gospel is a matter of interpretation and personal belief. There is no clear consensus within the Christian tradition on this issue, and individuals may have differing views based on their understanding of scripture, tradition, and personal experience.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jesus came and gave a simple message. That message has been turned into a religion. It is clear to me from several replies that the message didn't survive the religion.

I will say this. The ten commandments are not nor ever were intended to show you how to live.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington725

In Matthew 22:36-39 Jesus was asked what was the greatest commandment. He answered by saying:

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Committing yourself fully- heart, soul, mind - has to be a way of life.

Jesus had a lot to say about religiosity, and to the religious leaders of the day - the Pharisees. He called them white-washed tombs, clean on the outside but full of stench and decay on the inside. So for any of us that claim to be followers of Jesus some introspection is a good thing. Am I a white-washed tomb? Am I loving God with heart, soul, and mind?

Pard Remington, Yes, you are correct that in Matthew 22:36-39, Jesus emphasizes the importance of loving God with all one's heart, soul, and mind and loving one's neighbor as oneself. This is often interpreted as a call to a way of life that emphasizes love, compassion, and service to others.

You are also correct that Jesus had strong words for religious leaders who were more concerned with outward appearances and legalistic adherence to religious laws than with a genuine love for God and others. Jesus emphasized the importance of humility, compassion, and service to others as the hallmarks of true religion.

As followers of Jesus, it is important to regularly examine our own hearts and motivations to ensure that we are living out the principles of love and service that he taught. This involves not only personal introspection but also active engagement with others and a commitment to social justice and compassion.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHClark
Jesus came and gave a simple message. That message has been turned into a religion. It is clear to me from several replies that the message didn't survive the religion.

I will say this. The ten commandments are not nor ever were intended to show you how to live.

Pard Clark, It is true that the message of Jesus has been turned into a religion, with various interpretations and denominations. However, many Christians would argue that the essence of Jesus' message - that of love, compassion, and service to others - remains central to their faith.

Regarding the Ten Commandments, they were given by God to Moses as a moral code for the Israelites to follow. While they may not provide a comprehensive guide for how to live, they do set out some fundamental principles for ethical behavior, such as honoring one's parents, not stealing or killing, and not coveting what belongs to others.

Ultimately, Christianity is a complex and multifaceted religion that has evolved over thousands of years. While different interpretations and practices may vary, many Christians would agree that at its core, the message of Jesus is one of love, compassion, and service to others.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Redemption of SIns, such as the retarded question you just asked.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RHClark

Pard Clark, It is true that the message of Jesus has been turned into a religion, with various interpretations and denominations. However, many Christians would argue that the essence of Jesus' message - that of love, compassion, and service to others - remains central to their faith.

Regarding the Ten Commandments, they were given by God to Moses as a moral code for the Israelites to follow. While they may not provide a comprehensive guide for how to live, they do set out some fundamental principles for ethical behavior, such as honoring one's parents, not stealing or killing, and not coveting what belongs to others.

Ultimately, Christianity is a complex and multifaceted religion that has evolved over thousands of years. While different interpretations and practices may vary, many Christians would agree that at its core, the message of Jesus is one of love, compassion, and service to others.

With respect my friend, the reason the commandments were given was not as a way of life but as proof that it couldn't be achieved. There are actually over 600 commandments and the clincher commandment that if you fail in any, you are guilty of all.

God gave the commandments in response to his people wanting to live by laws, illustrating the impossibility of being justified by law. Anyone who was honest knew that they had to rely on the sacrifice for their redemption rather than their keeping of the commandments.

Hebrews goes into detail explaining how the law's only purpose was to reveal the impossibility of righteousness by the law, thus leading to faith in the sacrifice, Jesus ultimately becoming the only and eternal sacrifice.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Charity and justice just to name 2 things.

Those things didn't exist before?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by CopperSolid

Typical Christian response.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim's not retarded in the least. It was a fair question.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim's not retarded in the least. It was a fair question.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Well…ok….in fact, very good…... from my way of thinking, you just made this “interesting…..”

I’m guessing that you did not not consider my response to be “typical Christian?”

What strikes you as being “typical”or perhaps “non-typical” when it comes to responses?

This seems to be rather important.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I agree with you Mr. Conrad. That is a typical response. There was redemption off sins under the old covenant through the sacrifices. Before that Abraham was justified by faith, according to the book of Romans.

What the message of Jesus brought that was different was unity with God. Jesus claiming sonship was what got him crucified. Jesus's message fulfilled is you are God's son too.

Page 2 of 108 1 2 3 4 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.