Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Centershot,

I have a TikaT3x lite, 1-8 twist in .223. Benchmark works great in the mid weight bullets. I load 25 grns with the Hornady 53vmax. You can always go with a heavier bullet with the 1-8 twist, which will help on the wind for those longer cross rocky canyon shots on rockchucks. Have fun with the new rifle.

Regards,

Manny

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From what you listed you have to work with, go with the H335 - 25.0 gr. 55 gr bullets, CCI 450 primers (not the 400s). Load them with a crimp and be prepared to shoot tiny little groups.

If you can get some 75 gr bullets, they might do better in an 8 twist barrel. Look up Rocky Mountain reloading. They make a pretty good hp in that weight

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice thing about a 223, it'll run and give good accuracy with pretty much ANY powder.. even shotgun and pistol powder...

So why sweat it... Under Obama 2.0 ( aka dumbass biden).. use whatcha got...

Hell lately I've been ringing steel at 300 and 400 yds, on targets about the size of my hand to twice its size...

and the load is anywhere from 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique...with about a 90% + hit ratio... 50, 52, 53, 55 and 60 grain bullets...

even was doing so with a 75 grain BTHP...

only time I really miss its operator, when I pulled the trigger a little too quickly... a quick jerk...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS
Sounds like you are pretty well set for start up. I would echo the opinions on H335 seeing your location in Southern Idaho and it's temp sensitivity.

H4895 is great for 69gr and heavier based on my experience.

Which opinions on H335? The ones that like it or the ones that don't? lol How much speed/pressure jump do you see in a 40degree swing? Can one just load it back .5gr and be ok? Keep some of those loaded up for hot days?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by MikeS
Sounds like you are pretty well set for start up. I would echo the opinions on H335 seeing your location in Southern Idaho and it's temp sensitivity.

H4895 is great for 69gr and heavier based on my experience.

Which opinions on H335? The ones that like it or the ones that don't? lol How much speed/pressure jump do you see in a 40degree swing? Can one just load it back .5gr and be ok? Keep some of those loaded up for hot days?

😆 exactly. Not a thing wrong with 335 just don’t run long strings of max loads on 95+ degree days. 335 has just as bad of a reputation as H380 but I shoot a lot of 380, always keep 3-4 pounds of 335 around as it performs just as well as Benchmark but a little dirtier. Ohh, and Benchmark being an extreme still gave me pressure issues at max on a 97 degree day just like 335. Other thing is since all you folks hate 335 and 380 I could always find it on the shelf during every shortage except this one.

Last edited by Swifty52; 03/10/23.

Swifty
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Nice thing about a 223, it'll run and give good accuracy with pretty much ANY powder.. even shotgun and pistol powder...

Hell lately I've been ringing steel at 300 and 400 yds, on targets about the size of my hand to twice its size...

and the load is anywhere from 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique...with about a 90% + hit ratio... 50, 52, 53, 55 and 60 grain bullets...

only time I really miss its operator, when I pulled the trigger a little too quickly... a quick jerk...

You didn't tell the OP about your love for H335..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Centershot,
I have had very good results with 25.0 grains of Benchmark and any thing in the 52-55 grain range of bullets. V-Max has been scary accurate. About out of those and am going to try the 55 Nosler BT.

GreggH

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have generally run TAC in our .223s ever since it appeared 20 years ago. The velocities are about the same as H335 with the same charges, but it's far cleaner-burning and less temperature sensitive.

Plus, like any spherical powder it runs far more accurately through a mechanical measure--which is by far the quickest way to load lots of ammo. And TAC has been far more available and less-expensive lately than most other .223 powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TAC and Benchmark are great powders for .223. Another one not mentioned already is X-Terminator. There are lots of powders that will work well. The old standby H335 works too.

Starline brass is good stuff.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire

You didn't tell the OP about your love for H335..

only cause there ain't none... smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Back in the 90's I bought 4000 WW Brass and have 2000 left. Resized, trimmed, primer pockets trued, flashholes deburred, also 2000 LC brass from the 90's and some Barnes 40 Gr. Varminators. PM me if you are interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using H335 for quite awhile and haven't had the temp problems some mention-maybe I've been lucky? With powder being so hard to find I haven't had much of a chance to try other powders now that I have a couple ARs in 1-8 barrels I would like to push heavies with. Not too unhappy with the 40 grain pills I have been shooting so far, though.

From what I'm seeing you guys are getting some great deals on components. Went to a gun show yesterday and components are starting to show up again, finally. But prices were stupid- Large rifle primers were $175/1000, Powder was around $59/lb, etc.... if the trend continues and components start hitting the shelves I assume prices will start to come down around here also. Crossing my fingers..

As far as 223 brass, I've used everything in my 223s including pick up brass and never had a problem with any of it. I simply separate it by brand and load accordingly and everything goes bang and hits the target I'm aiming at (most of the time)... I've even used Remington for fireforming in my 223AI at full house loads and never lost a single case yet out of several hundred I've formed...

I've been using the standard RCBS dies for years with my 223s and never had a complaint. When I had the 223AI barreled, somebody on this site had a Redding micrometer die set to sell for a very reasonable price so I picked it up along with a neck sizing die set. So far I've been pretty happy with it but I'm not sure a standard RCBS die set wouldn't have worked just as well to be honest.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Again, what you are seeing on components is the new norm, primers are going to settle in about 70-90 bucks and powder is going to stay right at 50-60 bucks a pound. Hodgdons controls 95% of the powder distribution and when the military complex cools their heels you might see more primers. But seeings how the latest estimate on replenishment of munitions sent to Ukraine is pegged at ~10 years, don’t hold your breath.

Swifty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just purchased a new to me Tikka T3 Varmint .223 Rem 1:8 Twist. I don't have anything to reload it currently and need to get stocked up. Here's what I have seen available locally.

RCBS Dies $38
Hornady Dies $50
Win Small Rifle Primers $110/1000
CCI Small Rifle Primer $96/1000 (maybe mag primers, have to look again)
H335 - $38/lb
Benchmark- $49/lb 8# keg for $349
Nosler Varmaggedon 55gr - $119/500
Hornady VMax 52 or 60gr - $28/100

Will buy a few boxes of Rem or Win loaded ammo to shoot a bit and get brass.

Leaning toward RCBS Dies, CCI Mag primers and H355 (good metering in powder measure) w/ Varmaggedon bullets and Rem Brass.

Will be used for informal target shooting to 4-500yards, rock chucks and an occasional coyote.

Am I on the right track or missing something?

Get a set of the Lee dies with the full length resizer/neck sizer/seater, they are inexpensive and they make very low runout ammo and by neck-sizing the brass life will be extended.
For brass I really like Lake City, it can be had as range pickup or found online for very few dollars, I sort them by year.
There is a lot of powder that works well for the 223 so pick whatever is applicable to the bullet weight you settle on.
Personally I prefer 40 gr projectiles for my 223's, V-Max and Nosler BT both give excellent accuracy and work great for gophers and the Noslers work well on coyotes.
H335 powder works well but it is temp sensitive and prone to higher pressures in hot weather particuarily when left to cook in a hot chamber - yes, I am guilty of doing it a few times and getting some overpressures so this is first hand experience.
Primers - whatever you can get at a reasonable price.

drover

coyote at 200 yds - one shot with 40 gr Nosler BT

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just purchased a new to me Tikka T3 Varmint .223 Rem 1:8 Twist. I don't have anything to reload it currently and need to get stocked up. Here's what I have seen available locally.

RCBS Dies $38
Hornady Dies $50
H335 - $38/lb

Leaning toward RCBS Dies, CCI Mag primers and H355 (good metering in powder measure) w/ Varmaggedon bullets and Rem Brass.

Will be used for informal target shooting to 4-500yards, rock chucks and an occasional coyote.

Get a set of the Lee dies with the full length resizer/neck sizer/seater, they are inexpensive and they make very low runout ammo and by neck-sizing the brass life will be extended.
For brass I really like Lake City, it can be had as range pickup or found online for very few dollars, I sort them by year.
There is a lot of powder that works well for the 223 so pick whatever is applicable to the bullet weight you settle on.
Personally I prefer 40 gr projectiles for my 223's, V-Max and Nosler BT both give excellent accuracy and work great for gophers and the Noslers work well on coyotes.
H335 powder works well but it is temp sensitive and prone to higher pressures in hot weather particuarily when left to cook in a hot chamber - yes, I am guilty of doing it a few times and getting some overpressures so this is first hand experience.
Primers - whatever you can get at a reasonable price.

drover

coyote at 200 yds - one shot with 40 gr Nosler BT using the recommended items

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ive recently started reloading 223 for bolt action and I do like my 4895. I was talking with a shooter that has loaded a lot of Shooters World Precision in his 223's and loves it. Most people say its a pretty close match to Varget which has been very hard to get. Temp insensitive they say. My rifle is also a 8 twist and it shoots bullets in the 60's and up to 77's very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Based on my results and sucesses...my first choice for starting out making good .223 ammo and tiny holes would be...

I'd buy the Forster die set in the classifieds asap. The Redding micro seating die is top notch as well.
Lapua brass
Berger 73gr bullets for tiny holes, 50-60VMAX for varmints.
Varget is an easy first choice, H4895 as a 2nd . R15 as a 3rd pick.
CCI 450 primers, BR4 as a 2nd.

A decent neck turning setup is a plus as well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Been using WW brass in 223 and everything else, for years. Don't be concerned about that component.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use the Lee 4 die set and H335

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

RCBS Dies $38
Hornady Dies $50
H335 - $38/lb

I think you're pretty well on target. I'd probably grab the RCBS X FL set rather than standard .. removing trimming is a useful time saver. With the 1-8" twist, I'd look for the 53 grain VMAX if you can find them. If those primers are CCI 450s use them, otherwise I'd choose WSRs over CCI 400s. H335 is my favorite .223 powder.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 74 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,786
Posts18,496,009
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.