Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Side note, Allan Savory has a good story about his previous profession as a rangeland scientist, his belief that to many elephants were permanently damaging the veld. His following suggestions to drastically cull numbers. The results and his current beliefs. It's in his tedtalk, I think. It's interesting.

He may be personally responsible for the death of more elephants than anyone.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by AZmark
Good question. I love to hunt and believe hunters should eat what they shoot (except for varmints) but do believe there are some animals that just need to be left alone. Elephants are one of them. I'm not interested in eating any elephant meat.

I'm not opposed to any sustainable hunting.
All lives are the same to me.
Meat and the sentimental attachments to Americans isn't the same to hungry Africans.
A cow, lamb, sheep, chicken's life is as important to them as ours is to us.
We are just at the top of the food chain.

I dated a Vietnamese woman who was Buddhist. She said every animal has a soul and they are all equal.

So, I said, “If I kill one elephant it’s the same as killing one chicken? Game on!”

I've pondered the question.
I've also posed it to anti hunters that eat meat and consume lives.

My favorite is addressing the amount of lives taken in a shrimp salad or shrimp cocktail..🤣

Oh, the humanity!! I loves me some cocktail shrimp in a pasta salad.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
I have never killed an Elephant. I know guys who have. Does this make them better than me. Am I not a man if I have not killed an Elephant. The main problem is there are no Elephants around here except at the Zoo. Should I go to the Zoo and shoot an Elephant just prove I am a man?

Yes, please do. Pics or ......

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've never been interested in hunting elephants but I know they need hunted at times.

Bb

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by MPat70
Killing for the sake of bragging rights is not mentally healthy in my opinion.
This ^^ I have never been on a safari but I know that pretty much any elephant that is killed is eaten by the locals. The same with any of the other big game animals. I'll just about bet you the PH's and gun bearers have it already arraigned before you leave camp. That's the way it should be. Nothing goes to waste and both the hunter and the locals win.

kwg
It would be a pretty safe bet that local populations are prohibited from hunting, so that animals may be sold to Safari Hunters for much more than the meat is worth.

And that might also explain the real reason for much poaching, and the battles to stop it.

Rhinoceros horn and ivory aside.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never killed an Elephant. I know guys who have. Does this make them better than me. Am I not a man if I have not killed an Elephant. The main problem is there are no Elephants around here except at the Zoo. Should I go to the Zoo and shoot an Elephant just prove I am a man?

What a bullshitt leading post. You might as well say "I've never sucked a dick, but I know guys who have. Only dicks to be sucked are at the gym. Am I not a man if I've never sucked a dick?"

You immediately and passive-aggressively condemn all who have ever hunted elephants, something you self admit you don't know jack about.

I'll put this in the same category as the throw away posts that have populated the forum as of late "Have you ever (pissed on the neighbors dog/sniffed a bicycle seat/or whatever.)

Bright side of this is that there are people here who have hunted and understand Africa and the balance of nature.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BHA Buzz was just on here recently on that other thread and clearly tho perhaps inadvertently demonstrated that shooting stuff does not in of itself confer virtue.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have killed two bull elephants and been charged by one. That does not make me better than anyone else. But I suspect that some of those who say they would not kill an elephant but kill other game simply can't afford the cost of an elephant hunt. If you are willing to hunt deer, but not elephants, isn't that kind of "rascist?" At least the deer would think so.

Another thing...dangerous game hunting in Africa kind of makes you lose your taste for deer hunting in America.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by AZmark
Good question. I love to hunt and believe hunters should eat what they shoot (except for varmints) but do believe there are some animals that just need to be left alone. Elephants are one of them. I'm not interested in eating any elephant meat.

All, or nearly all elephants being killed now are problem animals, or in places where there are simply far, far too many, which destroys the landscape and creates conflicts with people. I’ve read of places with 10x the elephants the range will support. They can’t be moved, they must be reduced in number. Shooting them is the most efficient way, and the meat is desperately needed in those places too. The hunting also provides cash and jobs.

I don’t want to shoot one either; lucky because I don’t have the scratch.

Ya know, the problem is that there are too many people, not elephants.

Not so much too many elephants as there are too many in the wrong places. Besides the obvious obstacle to moving them, their social structure is very complicated and shifting them around willy-nilly would lead to a lot of problems, kinda like taking a bunch of poor people with no marketable skills from their rural existence and dumping them off in city slums, with no jobs, just a check every month. Or allowing millions of poorly educated third-worlders to migrate into your country to wander around looking for “opportunities”, depending on their bent: theft, sexual assault, pedophilia, drunk driving, drug dealing, smuggling; maybe even work.

Truth.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can afford it.
I still have no desire... if it was free I wouldn't
walk across the street to kill one.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have and it was a magical experience. Does it make me more of a man? No. This elephant was destroying crops and every scrap of meat was utilized. Even the marrow. Like indy said, it does take the the shine off of deer hunting for awhile. It was something that I doubt I'll ever get a chance to do again. I just happened to be at the right place and the right time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I can afford it.
I still have no desire... if it was free I wouldn't
walk across the street to kill one.
DITTO

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
H
Huntz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rhodes

What a bullshitt leading post. You might as well say "I've never sucked a dick, but I know guys who have. Only dicks to be sucked are at the gym. Am I not a man if I've never sucked a dick?"

You immediately and passive-aggressively condemn all who have ever hunted elephants, something you self admit you don't know jack about.

I'll put this in the same category as the throw away posts that have populated the forum as of late "Have you ever (pissed on the neighbors dog/sniffed a bicycle seat/or whatever.)

Bright side of this is that there are people here who have hunted and understand Africa and the balance of nature.
You sure make a lot of conclusions about what I posted. All I get out of your retort is that you are a latent homosexual who wants to suck dicks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntz: It sounds to me like the sound of your own wheels has made you crazy!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've never hunted elephants, but from what I hear and read it's probably the most exciting hunt you can do. I've hunted in Africa a couple of times but have not hunted elephants, mostly because of the cost. In many areas, elephants are over populated and destroy their habitat, so there is a valid ecological reason to hunt them in spite of all the public opposition to it in the developed countries.

There are a lot more people in Africa than there were even fifty years ago, and many areas where elephants lived are now farmed, so the elephants don't have new areas to move to like they once did.

One thing I will say is that elephants can be scary when you're out in the bush. But it's great to see them and I hope elephant populations can continue to exist in the remaining areas where they are now. This will not be easy as most Africans tend to see them as a problem. Hunting is an important way that they provide economic value in Africa and without economic value they won't exist in the long term.

H
Huntz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Huntz: It sounds to me like the sound of your own wheels has made you crazy!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Could be.Maybe I will just have to Take it Easy.

Last edited by Huntz; 03/13/23.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I doubt I'd pay to kill an elephant. No real interest in them. But if someone wants to invite me on a cull hunt I'd be game.

I'd harpoon the hell out of a whale only I don't like water.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
APR should rename themselves, and work to keep the migratory lanes open to the elephants.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Ah Christ, here I go. I have no desire to kill elephants, whales or dolphins. Personally, I don't think we should be killing anything that exhibits a higher intelligence than your basic prey animals that are normally sought after for food. Africans are a [bleep] up breed of people. There are over 1.5 million wildebeest alone running right through their homes but they want elephant meat, rhinoceros meat. I got into an argument with my professor because the tribe he visited lived off some caterpillar and couldn't get to water because of the crocodiles. I told him he just stated the resolution to these bug eating bastards. Stop eating the caterpillars and eat the damned crocodiles. I would gladly subsist on crocodile than a freaking bug any day. YMMV.

And yes, I have spent time in Africa chasing down Boko Haram and ISIS and yes, I poached a couple of hoofed animals when we got tired of eating MRE's, Couscous and rice. No, I had no interest in killing or eating a damned elephant. I did shoot plenty of baboons to help the locals out because they are just ferocious pricks that learned the reach of the locals. A couple of us recalibrated their "safe" distance from man so they would stay away from the villages. If you want to go to Africa to hunt, kill something that benefits the locals. Elephants shouldn't be hunted and neither should whales or dolphins. Apparently when we nuked the Japanese, it made them more stupid than before.

I wonder what kind of damage a herd of elephants can do to a poor farming village?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If elephants are overpopulated, perhaps the hungry/starving locals should be killing and eating them.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.