Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Get the Brenneke Black Magic if you carry a 12ga instead of a rifle.

Regardless of what the couch talkers, say.
More than a few posts have come from people that have actually seen a bear, shot a bear, and a done a lot more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bear guide on Kodiak backed me up with a.

.270 win.

I had zero worries.

He guided to plenty of 10 footers before mine

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
You were very young…..he was very dumb! 😂 Or maybe he was a track star! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
I believe a smart guy somewhere close has made comments about the 30-06. I watched my son kill a brown bear with a 25-06 with 80gr bullets. He made 2 lethal shots and the bear had no choice but to die.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It probably would have been more appropriate to say….Keith style, rather than Keith! Though, I hope you got a little more from the tests than just that! memtb

I did in fact get more from it. The last time I was in the presence of a live bear was nearly 50 years ago. My dad was stationed in Alaska twice when I was a kid and we spent a lot of time fishing. He carried a Super Blackhawk and I kept his Ruger carbine strapped on my back from the time I got out of the truck till I got back in it. Not real convenient but it gave me the false sense of security only a kid could get from the small number of rounds it held. Fortunately I never saw a bear on our side of the river. If I was going where bears could be a problem now I would be wearing a .45 Colt or my Flat top Ruger with heavy loads and have close at hand either my Marlin Cowboy 45-70 with cast 405 grain or my Winchester model 71 with Woodleigh or Barnes 250 grain . With the current state of my health this is not likely to ever happen.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
never been by a brown bear , been way to close to a grizzly and came around a corner in the woods and a huge male black bear was 10 feet from me not a good situation . shot black bears with my bow and arrow but never a gun. i have been around grizzly bears and black bears in camp , at home and hunting don`t care for bears much . if i ever went on a guided big bear hunt which i won`t be i would do as the guide tells me. i would have no trouble ever using just a pain Jane 30-06 but i do want either my Winchester, Browning,Weatherby or Ruger rifle i have trust issues with other brand rifles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Salmonella

.270 win.

I had zero worries.

what brand and model rifle did you use ?

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I believe a smart guy somewhere close has made comments about the 30-06. I watched my son kill a brown bear with a 25-06 with 80gr bullets. He made 2 lethal shots and the bear had no choice but to die.

No doubt about the 270’s ability to kill a big bear…..but, not the ideal “stopping cartridge”! Simply put…..there are others far better for “stopping”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

No doubt about the 270’s ability to kill a big bear…..but, not the ideal “stopping cartridge”! Simply put…..there are others far better for “stopping”! memtb

Maybe the .270 wasn’t to shoot the bear. 😳

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Longbob

😂 I guess that using the 270 on the client means the guide doesn’t need to be a track star! 😉 memtb

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hahahaha!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Everyone involved knew that.
The bear never twitched after my first shot.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by pete53

.270 win.

I had zero worries.

what brand and model rifle did you use ?

That's not my bear.

I absolutely pole axed my bear with the first shot with a .300 wby mag.
With 20p gr Nosler Partitions.
When I approached I dumpled the rest of the magazine into him for insurance.
Thread is cheap...🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If that's the case....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

If that's the case....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

> i had the same thought. 22 short in his knee and run like heck !

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’m glad that the “stopping” power of the 270 wasn’t tested! memtb

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

I’m glad that the “stopping” power of the 270 wasn’t tested! memtb

A fellow with a .270 is far from unarmed. Load it with Partitions or TTSX's and I'd choose it over most shotgun loads and any handgun. Best tool? Probably not, but not exactly a popgun either.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
About 30 years ago there was a bear stopping article in one of the gun mags. In it they compared the .44 Mag with 240g hardcast to larger rifle cartridges with expanding bullets. I can't remember what the rifles were, but I think one was the 30-06 with 180g bullets of what kind I don't recall. It could have been Sierra Game Kings for all I remember. The 44 easily out penetrated the rifles. Now we can say if the rifle had similar solid bullets they would out-penetrate the .44, but it is a rare person who is loading solids in a rifle for bear hunting/defense.

Having not ever shot a bear but thinking stopping one would be more difficult then just shooting it behind the shoulder, the .44 in this case with better penetration might be better. But then again how deep do you need. Also, we have heard over the years of bullets not penetrating from rifles. Again not knowing what bullet was used. Basically, is it the bullet or the cartridge?

About the same time a guide in MT killed a charging Grizzley with a 7mm Rem Mag. that had already mangled his client Bullet unknown.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just a Hunter, if you look all the way back to my opening post……you may find the inclosed data interesting! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/14/23.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks. Good info

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.