Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i always keep an eye on what is happening in this great sled dog race . i notice a couple of big names are not in the race this year ? but my favorite is and is running 2nd so far Jesse Holmes , but it is a long race many days yet . anyone else listening or watching what`s going on ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Been hearing it on the news. Fairbanks doesn't give it that much coverage. It's not the race it used to be. Was a big deal when I liv3d in Ru y in the 80s and Nome later.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One of the smallest fields ever this year.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender

> i wonder why ? is it because it is such a tough rough dog sled race ? it kinda looks like it is going to be a real fast race this year .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The directors have failed in many ways. They have not maintained long term relationships with sponsors. Some big ones they were not their fault. Alaska Air for one.

A good, paid Director would more than earn his keep.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i sure hope this sled dog race continues there is no dog /man race as famous as the Iditarod sled dog race . i do think also pay outs should be better for more places too somehow ? i also notice no new pick-up truck for the winner either ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My hat is off to any musher and team who enters this race.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by ironbender
> i wonder why ? is it because it is such a tough rough dog sled race ? it kinda looks like it is going to be a real fast race this year .
PETA is part of the problem too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Respect to the mushers from the villages who were able get to the race-start.

Current inflation, a single bag of decent kibble to the villages is at least $90 per fkn bag. Which is just to a hub village.

Mushers in the villages are having to offset costs by catching an insane amount of fish or even seals.

Purse is pretty low this year.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jesse Holmes still doing well but there is alot of race left he is about half way now taking his 8 hr. rest. these mushers must be doing from the heart because the pay is not very much this year.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The reason a lot of people (including me) don't run the race is because of the cost. Someone I know that ran in '21 spent 40k just running the race. That's not including food and vet bills for the rest of the year, paying handlers, and the insane amount of time it takes to train a team to that point. I would try, but 40k to probably lose is a lot of money to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What is the latest on the race?????

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SledDogGuy
The reason a lot of people (including me) don't run the race is because of the cost. Someone I know that ran in '21 spent 40k just running the race. That's not including food and vet bills for the rest of the year, paying handlers, and the insane amount of time it takes to train a team to that point. I would try, but 40k to probably lose is a lot of money to me.
I would assume that not all racers get paid. Only the top ones. Its a gamble any which way you look at it.

We don't do things for money. We do them for the experie
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The directors have failed in many ways. They have not maintained long term relationships with sponsors. Some big ones they were not their fault. Alaska Air for one.

A good, paid Director would more than earn his keep.
Knowing Mark personally all I have to say is he is one heck of a good guy and doing what he can. You can't find better people than Mark for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
What is the latest on the race?????

Here you go!
https://iditarod.com/race/2023/standings/

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thread needs this:

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Top 6 are getting mighty close to Nome, having already left Koyuk. Time for some predictions:

1st place:

Ryan Redington is on fire,having already left koyuk, then blasted out out of Elim with no rest. Fastest runs ever, along the southern route. I have met Ryan at a Nome finish, when he pinched my ex girlfriend's ass right in front of me. Fkn guy is always smiling, always jovial and that energy rubs off on his dogs. His mom is from Nome and this final run is his native land.

Kaiser currently has a 3 hour lead over everyone else, but he's in desperate need of rest. That team won't make the steep climbs with the gusto of the other teams. He trains on fairly flat terrain.

Same with Diehl,his team is slogging at a slow pace. Will need significant rest.

2nd place:
Matt hall trains hard in cold interior weather, and steep terrain. He was raised in the upper yukon and taught by the best bush mushers in Alaska, his parents. He knows how to amp up a team for steep climbs. He might surpass Kaiser for second place.

3rd place:
Kaiser may hold onto 3rd, or be surpassed by Matt Failer.

Behind Kaiser is Holmes and maixner, both are slogging and seem burnt out. Behind Maixner and Holmes is Matt Failor. He rested in koyuk,while Holmes and Maixner did not. Failor's team is running a hot speed and are well rested. Failer also has more dogs than maixner and holmes.

Maixner and Holmes risk scratching, when the terrain ahead of them gets steep.

**the weather is supposed to get slightly gusty with a bit of snow. That could change everything.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/13/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know Pete and Richie and have seen how tough they are. If needed they will drag the sleds. Both are endurance runners and wrestlers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Every finisher gets $1,049 back. The purse is split up amongst the top 20 I believe. Yeah if I had the extra cash I would give it a run for the experience alone, but I sadly I don't have it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it looks like Ryan Reddington just arrived in Nome about 20 minutes ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hudge
Well it looks like Ryan Reddington just arrived in Nome about 20 minutes ago.
8 days, 21 hours!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.