Print Thread
Hop To
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I've been thinking of putting a few handguns up for sale and looking at FEDEX UPS web I'm confused. I have a C&R FFL and would only ship to a FFL of buyers choice.
It seems UPS I would have to go to a "registered" shipper? FEDEX not sure confusing.
I do not have a "customer center" for either FEDEX or UPS so realize I would need to travel to one, maybe at a larger city airport location.
Or do I just take to a local gun shop and see if they would ship for me?
Any info appreciated. Thanks

GB1

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Ask your friendly local FFL dealer to mail it for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there's a UPS hub / customer center nearby at all check out shipmygun . Prices are reasonable

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
UPS Customer Service hub, and you could use shipmygun through them as well. You'd have a printed label, be boxed up, and ready to go. It was stupid easy

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
By the time you do all of the extra leg work, it's probably easier just to let an FFL do it for you. They can use USPS.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Joseywales
UPS Customer Service hub, and you could use shipmygun through them as well. You'd have a printed label, be boxed up, and ready to go. It was stupid easy

Questions on shipmygun. Do they ship you a box for handguns? Can you use your own box? Also, anyone know how long it takes them to add an FFL once the license is sent to them?

Thanks sorry to. butt in

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When using SMG, you use your own box and box sizes are listed on their site for small, medium and large. Check for FFL’s my zip code and if they are highlighted, SMG already has their FFL. If not, just get them to send them one and they will get it posted within a day or so. You pay on the site and get an immediate email with a prepaid label. Pretty easy and no hassle at UPS hub. SMG even sends you a contract letter from UPS to show an uninformed clerk if needed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know about handguns but an option SMG/UPS provides shippers of long guns is pick up service. Most recently $14 extra.

To me the worst part of shipping was declaring a firearm to the shipper and the uncertainty of how that will go...Tom

Last edited by thomasconnor; 03/14/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My FFL guys ships via USPS Priority Mail. Must ship FFL to FFL is my understanding.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in Michigan a handgun is registered in the owners name....so I take it to my FFL it is then put in the FFL book then shipped .....no longer in my name or responsibility ....
It is the safest paper trail to have.....

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used SMG once. Their verbiage is confusing the first time you use it. Once you figure it out, it still doesn't make much sense the way it's worded, but it does work. The clerk at the UPS hub initially said she couldn't process it. I showed her the letter from SMG (a blurry screen grab that a little more effort could have been put into), she called a supervisor, made a copy of the letter, and processed my shipment.

I've shipped a couple firearms since, and simply used a local FFL. He's a good guy, so it cost my only $15 more than SMG, and I don't have to deal with uninformed clerks at UPS.

J
JAT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WMR
Ask your friendly local FFL dealer to mail it for you.

+1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My FFL charges $25 to log it into his book. Then it can be shipped Priority Mail...the Medium Flat Rate Box is like $22 or so. I bring it all boxed up and labeled, then walk it over to the Post office next door to the gun shop.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Easy.. fed ex ground online. Schedule a pick up. Box it uo and send it to an ffl

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by magnum44270
Easy.. fed ex ground online. Schedule a pick up. Box it uo and send it to an ffl

Try that and see how it goes.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk

Works fine where i live, but i choose to live in a free state.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found it's very simple from the FFL

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use a well padded heavy duty cardboard box, you want a nice snug fit so there is no movement, never had a problem.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk

Works fine where i live, but i choose to live in a free state.

State you live in has nothing to do with it. Unless you are an FFL holder and sign a contract with them, Fedex will not accept your firearm.

Fedex Firearm Shipping Policy

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you have an FFL and are shipping to another FFL it's a simple matter to package it like The Crown Jewels in a USPS flat rate box and mail it. A C&R FFL03 qualifies. I've had a half dozen C&R-eligible handguns shipped directly to me (a C&R holder) from both FFL01's and FFL03's over the last two years and they all came via USPS in flat rate boxes.

Unless you're messing only with "modern" handguns and ignoring the world of stuff available that's 50 years old and older, it pays to spend the $30 and get a C&R license.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,295
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.