Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I want to hand-ream the chamber of a Kimber of Oregon Model 82 from .17 Hornet Improved to .17 Hornady Hornet and I want to do it without removing the barrel. Apart from reducing the value of my Kimber, is this a relatively easy task? I assume I'll need a hand reamer holder and gages and otherwise, it should be pretty straight-forward? Yes/No? eek

Tarquin
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You’ll want some kind of bushing setup to keep the reamer straight as it passes through the receiver. On a valuable rifle like that I’d feel much more comfortable pulling the barrel and putting it in the lathe.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't have the chamber drawing dimensions of your quoted cartridges..but if ANY cutting portion of the reamer starts cutting before the bore pilot is fully engaged, it is a recipe for disaster. The reamer will drift to where body english sends it. Also, all reamers I am aware of, do not have enough shank to extend through the action...which requires a bushed extension, which introduces even more error. Unscrew the barrel. The reason hand cut K Hornets and 8mm-06's turn out well is the pilot is engaged when cutting begins (in a well designed reamer). With short pilot standard reamers even in those cartridges, the bbl should be removed and the reamer chucked in the tailstock...dead true...no Jacobs bs, a proper collet chuck or indicated 4 jaw.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys. Glad I asked.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why don't you want to remove the barrel? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going from an Improved to a standard Hornet? Do you have any idea how much you will have to remove to get it to clean up?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 17 Hornady Hornet appears to be a variation of the original 17 Ackley. It should be fairly easy to ream by hand since there is little material being removed. This assumes some skill on the part of the person doing the reaming, of course. I'm guessing the idea here is to be able to use factory ammo. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only chambers I've reamed in situ have been in barrels that were short chambered, specifically Criterion barrels for Springfields, that only required a couple thousandths of steel to be removed. A couple twists of the reamer for the extractor-less bolt to close on a Go-gauge. Oh, and a couple .30 barrels that I altered the throats with a 1 1/2degree included angle throating reamer (for specific cast bullet fits). All turned out great because they were securely piloted and intrusion was so minimal that the cutting oil was barely discolored by steel chips.

I wouldn't think of conducting any more reaming than what I described with the barrel in the receiver. Barrel removal is too easy, but I witness a lot of guys who have an almost pathological fear of removing a barrel - it's almost like it's considered Black Magic or something.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve hand reamed a few rifles. The first was a short chambered AR 308. Another was a Mauser 7x57 to 280 - that job was not pretty since I didn’t take into account that the neck on the 7x57 is larger in diameter that the 280. I cleaned up another chamber by hand.

The last was a 375 Whelen AI. The 375 started out as a barrel that was just a plain barrel, not even short chambered. That was way to much work and time!!! I wanted to build a rifle doing as much as I could. I’ve showed it to two gun smiths that said only good things about the chamber job. I’m glad I did one.

I ran a lathe for a side job while going to school. I sold my lathe and sorely miss it. My advice is to take it to a gunsmith unless you have someone who knows what he’s doing looking over your shoulder.

I won’t do another “hand job” except a short chamber, maybe. eek

Last edited by Bugger; 03/14/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"HAND JOB" lolol...biscotti and coffee in nose.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Why don't you want to remove the barrel? -Al

I don't have the tools. I should probably get them.

Tarquin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sir,
between buying the tools you will need plus a reamer (even if you rent one) and given the opportunity for messing up a chamber you would miles ahead to take it to a gunsmith and have it done properly.
Just a friendly suggestion from someone who has screwed up his share of stuff...
Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done a couple from 223 to 22-204 and 6x47 Rem to 6mm-204 both work very well.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The only experience I have doing it was on a 35 whelen short-chambered green mountain barrel for a mauser. It wasn't too bad and I would do it again. Definitely don't know about reaming a whole chamber but on a short chambered barrel it wasn't bad at all.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Sir,
between buying the tools you will need plus a reamer (even if you rent one) and given the opportunity for messing up a chamber you would miles ahead to take it to a gunsmith and have it done properly.
Just a friendly suggestion from someone who has screwed up his share of stuff...
Bill
Bill, that would be my advice also.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No way in hell ------

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can get a reamer with an extended pilot.
I use this one for re-chambering 10mm barrels to 40 Super.
But the barrel is out of the gun and chucked in the lathe.

Tony

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
"HAND JOB" lolol...biscotti and coffee in nose.

I laughed so hard I farted

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can hold the reamer in a 3/8 ratchet extension chucked in a cordless drill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You can hold the reamer in a 3/8 ratchet extension chucked in a cordless drill

Wow! this guy must have held the honor student of the year spot in the garage mechanic class!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,800
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.