Print Thread
Hop To
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've never caught a ling cod since I rarely go salt water fishing except for salmon (and the salmon counts are way down lately).

Going for a day trip in Oct when the larger female lings move into shallower water.

Any tips or tactics? Reels? # test line?

TIA,

MtnHtr

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jig the pinnacles, they are agressive feaders so lead heads, point wilson darts, diamond jigs will all work, as well as bait. They aren't agressive fighters so a medium heavy rod with a 3/0 sized reel an 50# braided line will do the trick. I'd run a heavier leader, I like 300# mono.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What 458 Lott said, only you don't need gear quite that big for California as there's zero likelihood you'll tie into a multi-hundred pound Halibut. For what it's worth, I pulled up my biggest AK ling on 50 lb braid and 60 lb fluorocarbon leader. This was on a 7' Musky fishing rod and a Penn 525 reel. I did not feel undergunned. If you want to try before you buy, I've got gear you can borrow. Yup, I'm a bit of a tackle-whore.

See if you can get the skipper to do a bait stop for sand dabs. This is one of the hot tactics used by folks running out to the Farallons and specifically targeting lings. I've had very good success triggering bites using live Greenling, both in CA and AK. A fellow angler refers to them as "Snickers bars for Ling Cod". In CA, the Greenling you can use for bait must be of legal size (10") and counts against your daily limit of one. If your skipper has taken on live anchovies, they too can be deadly.

Browse the Coastside Fishing Club forum if you haven't already. You've got to register to view, but the information there is truly top notch:
http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/fishing%20reports.

I will post there very infrequently being more of a lurker, but have seen at least one other Campfire member there.

Regards,
Scott

P.S. I did my first Albacore trip last Saturday on a friends boat. Now that was far and away the best money I've ever spent on fishing from a powerboat in CA. It ruined me for Salmon fishing.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 08/29/07.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, I think of 3/0's as little reals laugh I'm thinking an Avet SX or MX would be about perfect. I've been doing enough jigging this year to realize I really want some lighter tackle. I have the gap between my pool stick butt rods and salmon rods that'll be well filled with an all purpose jigging rod, something stout enough for buts and slender enough for salmon, rockfish et al.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best jigging rods I have ever seen are the new shimano trevala jigging rods with the butterfly jigging system. Simply amazing. My boat will be outfitted with only those rods next year for all my fishing. Super tough rods that are lightweight and can handle braid and large fish/fisherman.

IC B2

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks all, I'm going to take my trusty not so old Penn 975 Int'l loaded with 30lb mono. It will go on a med action TigerStik.

Hopefully the weather will be nice.

MtnHtr

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
MtnHtr, who are you fishing with? Where?

I have a pretty good idea of how hunt the big lings from Monterey to HFB, SF Bay, Bodega, Shelter Cove.

As for equipment, you got the right stuff. Jigging iron and swimbaits are good choices but using sand dabs/greenlings/small blue/black rock cod using live bait rigs will yield the bigger fish.

Weather is fairly unpredictable, dress accordingly, or bring appropriate weather gear.

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
WDEA,

Sent you a PM.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MtnHunter,

Get out there ASAP. There is an emergency closure starting 10/1. The groundfish complex will be closed North of Pigeon Pt. Too many Yelloweye caught up on the North Coast.

Scott

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Scott,

Just heard about the pending closure. However due to family duties/obligations I cannot go until after Oct 1.

So I guess I will go deer hunting if they close it..........

Thanks for the heads up!

MtnHtr

IC B3

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's official:

NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 07:070 Sept. 14, 2007

Contact: John Budrick, Associate Marine Biologist, (650) 413-1501

DFG Announces Changes to the 2007 Recreational Fishing Regulations for
the Area from Pigeon Point to the Oregon Border Effective Oct. 1

The sport fishery for rockfish, lingcod, cabezon, and greenlings will
close from Pigeon Point to the Oregon Border (North and North-Central
Management Areas) on Oct. 1. Shore-based anglers and divers are not
affected by this action, announced the California Department of Fish and
Game (DFG). The closure will remain in effect through the end of the
calendar year. DFG approved these conforming fisheries management
measures following the adoption of similar regulations for federal
waters by the Pacific Fishery Management Council at their meeting on
Sept. 13, 2007. Seasons and other recreational fishing regulations will
remain in effect for these species in areas south of Pigeon Point (See
2007 California Ocean Sport Fishing regulations booklet, Sections
27.35-27.50).

Recreational catch estimates through July, and projected catches for
the remainder of the year, indicate that harvest guidelines will be
exceeded for canary and yelloweye rockfish (“overfished” species) if
these measures are not taken. Factors that led to the increase in
projected catches include redistribution of recreational fishing effort
to the northern areas where canary and yelloweye rockfishes are more
common, poor salmon catches resulting in salmon fishermen switching to
groundfish, and an increase in the daily catch rate per angler for
yelloweye and canary rockfish. Exceeding California’s recreational
harvest guidelines for these species could jeopardize rebuilding of
these species to healthy population levels.

“While we are aware that a shortened season will affect sport
anglers, we are also concerned that failure to take action at this time
would jeopardize the future rebuilding success for these important
“overfished” species,” said Marija Vojkovich, marine region
manager.

Under current management measures, the Director of DFG has the
authority to take in-season action deemed necessary to prevent catches
from exceeding federal harvest limits. As a result, beginning Oct. 1,
2007 the seasons and depth restrictions for boat-based anglers in the
Northern and North-Central Management Areas will include:

Northern Management Area (Oregon border south to 40°10' north latitude
near Cape Mendocino in Mendocino County): CLOSED - Fishing for rockfish,
cabezon, greenlings and lingcod is closed to boat-based anglers
beginning Oct. 1, 2007.

North-Central Management Area (40°10’ north latitude near Cape
Mendocino in Mendocino County to 37°11’ north latitude near Pigeon Pt.
in San Mateo County): CLOSED - Fishing for rockfish, cabezon,
greenlings and lingcod is closed to boat-based anglers beginning Oct. 1,

Regulations for all Management Areas south of 37 degrees 11’ north
latitude: Seasons remain as noted in the 2007 California Ocean Sport
Fishing regulations booklet.

For more detailed information about the action taken by the Pacific
Fishery Management Council visit www.pcouncil.org.

For more detailed information regarding recreational groundfish
regulations and to stay informed of in-season regulation changes, call
the Groundfish Hotline (831) 649-2801, or visit the Marine Region Web
site at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine.

MtnHtr

A
A
hate to say it but I do believe live greenling are illegal for bait in AK.

A big twister tail works wonders, I prefer clients to run 24 oz just to save on headahces in tangles and help keep lines down on the bottom or near it.

find the pinnicles however my better spots are big humps near pinnicles or quick drops, places most other guys dont fish.

Pay attn to currents, set up your drifts accordingly. In good tides, currents will push fish into places much like a river will. Fish accordingly. Find the rock fish, you'll find the lings. More current, more concentrated the fish can be depending on the spot. Fish the change, when most predators are on the prowl is also effective though I'd rather be salmon or halibut fishing at prime times. Lings are just to easy to use these times up.

Hit the bottom, come up a turn or two and constantly check depth. I prefer to be either bouncing off of, or up to 5' or so just off the bottom. Have foudn that on most days a short sharp jigging action works great. Not fast, but not a long rod sweep. Of course we are using heavy gear, incase of large halibut, and it does happen. YOu can also pick up salmon these same rigs on the way up. Have caught kings and seen coho's picked up on 16 and 24 oz scampi jigs (or twister jigs for you midwestern folks). I have tipped them with guts, or a hunk of collar for scent and it also has proven it's worth.

Be patient, pay attn to your surroundings and dont be set in one way to catchm and you'll do just fine.

Last edited by AkDan; 11/26/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AkDan,

We were operating under the assumption that since there is no season or limit on Greenling in the area that we were fishing, they were ok for bait. This is what what I'm referring to:

Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes. (2) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. (3) Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters or the regulatory area in which it was taken.

from: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/Statewideregs.cfm

Am I misinterpreting the status of Greenling? If so, then thank you very much for the heads up.

Regards,
Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 3dtestify, 35, 12 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,091
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.