Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We're fresh out of buffalo, lion and grizzly around here but we've got plenty of squirrels.

Be careful Blackie, they might charge and give you rabies!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This is not strictly an end of times thread, as I intended to pick one rifle that could handle many situations, like riots and unrest, long lasting power outages, whatever could force you into an unexpected survival situation.

I probably wouldn’t pick an AR-15 myself, (already posted my pick for bolt action set up) because they’re more,prone to failure. However, there are so many of them out there that you would likely be able to scavenge mags, parts and ammo. I bet if there was a real SHTF event, a lot of low information gun owners would have unreliable or broken AR-15’s on their hands. That could be a good thing if you’re carrying one yourself.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by 250_3000
😄 I do this exercise in my head all the time trying to decide what is the ultimate rifle, that could handle any situation well enough. But I agree with you, love my rifles and would hate to pick just one in real life.

I don't think it hurts at all to think of what ifs. That way if an if slaps you in the face, ya might have an answer.

If you really want to challenge the question, think about retirement & possibly traveling the country in a motorhome or the like. I considered that plan & knowing I could only could take but so many guns had smoke coming out of my ears. A 5 or 6 gun real life battery to handle game or threat situations in all of the U.S. eek

A 16 foot trailer was one of the answers.

You should start a thread on that! Motor home, can only take X number of guns. What are they?

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 250_3000
This is not strictly an end of times thread, as I intended to pick one rifle that could handle many situations, like riots and unrest, long lasting power outages, whatever could force you into an unexpected survival situation.

I probably wouldn’t pick an AR-15 myself, (already posted my pick for bolt action set up) because they’re more,prone to failure. However, there are so many of them out there that you would likely be able to scavenge mags, parts and ammo. I bet if there was a real SHTF event, a lot of low information gun owners would have unreliable or broken AR-15’s on their hands. That could be a good thing if you’re carrying one yourself.

Thanks for clarifying the original question, as it could be many different scenarios.

That's kinda what I was getting at.

I would think a top tier AR would be a pretty good choice, my BCM is my pick.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Where did you shoot the deer, to kill it with a .22

Just guessing probably head shots
At one of those public hunt orientations years
ago one of the TPWD people was saying the
most used poacher firearm was a scoped 22
rifle.
I've shot varmints out of the back wind-er
of the mobile home with a 22 contender and
I imagine that I could pop a whitetail with a
22 rifle relatively easy enough

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No buddy is gonna pick just one

Just put this Ruger SS take down 10-22 together (#11125)

Topped 'er off with a Truglo 8380B Dual color sight

8 shots sighted it in...

Added a Tandemkross extractor for positive ejection

Shoots great

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This might be the shizzle right now for stealth & mobility. Might be the poster child for it.

Get rid of the silly (to me) flash hider, & cap the threads. Broken down in a non descript bag of some sort along with a sm. can & a pile of ammo.

he concept hard to beat IMO.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This might be the shizzle right now for stealth & mobility. Might be the poster child for it.

Get rid of the silly (to me) flash hider, & cap the threads. Broken down in a non descript bag of some sort along with a sm. can & a pile of ammo.

Ruger shipped it with the flash hider

May cap it....be shorter

Comes with a nice 'Ruger' branded soft case though........(:

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fug that pick one shid. How retarded can you get? Jfc

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A Mauser of course.

The way life should be.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Fug that pick one shid. How retarded can you get? Jfc

No buddy has just one.......

Hell.......how many did I bury out in the Utah desert ?

Last edited by tikkanut; 03/14/23.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In order of preference based on what I have:
1. CZ 527 Carbine .223 with Weaver K6
2. Ruger K77/22M .22 Magnum Stainless/Zytel with Weaver Classic Rimfire 2x-7x
3. Ruger KM77 MKII .308 Stainless/Zytel with Leupold M8 4x

All with spare scopes set in rings/zeroed and parts kits (extractors, ejectors, springs, pins, etc.)

Last edited by Eric308; 03/14/23.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ruger shipped it with the flash hider

May cap it....be shorter

Comes with a nice 'Ruger' branded soft case though........(:

I know. Ruger did put a flash hider on it.????? It's just that to me, Ruger took a perfectly portable & stealthy gun & tried at least twice to screw all that up.

But whatever my opinion, the 16" threaded muzzle takedown is still a great tool to have in the box.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sooooooooooo

how many do I have buried out here in the Utah high desert ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What ammo do you stack deepest? I always keep several cases of 223/5.56, 12 gauge, 9mm, and 22lr. There is a gun chambered in each of those for each member of my family. I'm thinking guns in those clambering have become my bug out preferences.

I also stock a lot of 7.62x39 but only own 1 ak. My 11 year old has a howa mini that shoots it too and I have an AR that's chambered for it but I think my house needs a few more aks.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Sooooooooooo

how many do I have buried out here in the Utah high desert ?

If you feel like it's time to bury your guns it's really time to dig them up.

Just sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
12ga. Rem 870.

Second choice is 22LR.

Anything/everything else after that is 3rd choice.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What ammo do you stack deepest? I always keep several cases of 223/5.56, 12 gauge, 9mm, and 22lr. There is a gun chambered in each of those for each member of my family. I'm thinking guns in those clambering have become my bug out preferences.

I also stock a lot of 7.62x39 but only own 1 ak. My 11 year old has a howa mini that shoots it too and I have an AR that's chambered for it but I think my house needs a few more aks.

Bb

In order of importance:
1. 22 LR - can’t ever run out of this. Useful around the house for varmints, easiest to carry in a bug out bag. Most inexpensive to shoot. Can’t reload it myself, so always keep a healthy stash.

Everything below I can reload myself, but still want to have some iready to go:
2. 223
3. 9mm
4. 12 GA
5. 308
6. 38/357
7. 45

-Benjamin Franklin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
it's hard to beat what stoner brought to the world some 60 years ago. and add some modernity

18", rifle length gas tube. free float handguard that's stiff and covers the gas block

aimpoint t2 on top of an swfa 3-9

and a magazine full of 77gr tmk from black hills.
Cant' see any other choice. Especially since its what the folks fighting you will have. Same parts. Same ammo. Same mags.
And they are as reliable as can be. Know folks that shot barrels out without ever cleaning other than a cursory wipe and lube.

Those that are talking 22... that would be covered with a handgun, subs and a can.

Of course we shot the AR platform for years after the M1 and M1A in competition.. Knowing the gun inside and out probably is a huge factor too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
22 win mag????? I couldn't find it locally in a store right now if my life depended on. Where are you going to find it when there is no ammo supply? It's loud and subject to rimfire primer issues. Bullet selection is dismal at best. Hardly a man stopper.

16" barreled AR in 556 with suppressor here. A quality one is easily good for thousands of rounds between maintenance and has been repeately proven on battlefields. If I ever had to shoot 1000's of rounds...in a survival situation, God help me. Ammo is everywhere, spare parts/guns everywhere, can pull the upper/lower pins and stash hidden in a backpack, and can provide rapid fire. Can snipe to 600+/- yards with it, shoot elk to varmints, and non-flying birds.
I just bought 5 more boxes of .22 WMR at a small gun shop the other day. I always try to keep 1500-2000 rds on hand as I shoot a fair amount of it at both targets and game. Been using a .22 mag. regularly for varmints and game since I got my first one 45 years ago and have very, very rarely had a misfire. It's been FAR more reliable than .22LR in that regard. If I had to carry an AR around with me every day for a week I'd shoot myself. I had one years ago and soon got rid of it. The most unhandy, awkward to carry POS I ever owned.
I've never had a 22 WMR misfire and I can't think of a better cartridge for this

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.