Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know a whole lot about these but I've always kind of wanted on in the carbine configuration. They seem hard to come by and when you do find them they are top dollar. I have come across a good deal on a standard length barrel model so my question is, are the barrels easily removed/reinstalled? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on someone to send a barrel to to cut down to carbine length and if possible, reinstall the front sight?

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
I don't know a whole lot about these but I've always kind of wanted on in the carbine configuration. They seem hard to come by and when you do find them they are top dollar. I have come across a good deal on a standard length barrel model so my question is, are the barrels easily removed/reinstalled? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on someone to send a barrel to to cut down to carbine length and if possible, reinstall the front sight?

Yes the barrels can be removed. You can try Williams gunsight or Ahlmans for the cutting and sight work.

A lot of guys run peep sights on them as well but the 7600 should be drilled and tapped for that .

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Take a look at the Big Woods Bucks skinner peep sight, they work great on a tracking rifle. Prices are crazy on the 760 and the 7600 carbine these days. Seen them go for $1800 to $2600 in the last year on gunbroker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better to buy a rifle and have it cut to 20". I've had the carbines. 20" handles better.

While your at it, have a pad installed and the trigger tweeked. The Williams FP works very well on that 20".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
http://www.tgicreations.com/

Kevin Aucoin knows his way around the 7600s.
He's going to get my Whelen to cut, but he's close enough for me to.make the drive (probably 3 hours).

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses everyone. The one I'm looking at is a newer model with a synthetic stock. It's chambered in 308 and comes with 5 mags. I hunted in the big woods of the Adirondacks for the first time this year and I quickly saw why people prefer pump or lever guns with irons so now I'm on the hunt.

That big woods buck peep looks good too.

Last edited by snowboardguy; 03/15/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why barrel removal required to shorten? Hack saw and recrown. May want to have a smith install front sight.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
Why barrel removal required to shorten? Hack saw and recrown. May want to have a smith install front sight.

Because I can ship a barrel to a Smith a lot easier than a whole gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

760 270 Win I had cut to 20” and front sight installed with the Skinner rear sight. It’s a dandy.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

760 270 Win I had cut to 20” and front sight installed with the Skinner rear sight. It’s a dandy.

Very nice! The skinner sight can accept different size apertures, correct?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The barrels can be removed, but its not exactly something most people would be able to do....the action "tubs" can be a PITA sometimes, and may require a little bit of heat to get it to budge.

I've tried the Skinner peeps, didn't really like them as they don't position the peep far enough back for my liking...I really prefer the style on SuperCubs above.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jason280
The barrels can be removed, but its not exactly something most people would be able to do....the action "tubs" can be a PITA sometimes, and may require a little bit of heat to get it to budge.

I've tried the Skinner peeps, didn't really like them as they don't position the peep far enough back for my liking...I really prefer the style on SuperCubs above.

I was wondering about how far back they're mounted but I don't really like the side mount. I wonder if this model, also by williams would be the best of both worlds.

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Very nice! The skinner sight can accept different size apertures, correct?

I don't know to be honest. I just run the big open aperture but they may have inserts if you wanted real small ones.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the Williams one pictured above, it worked great, but it is not something you want to move much.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I like the Williams peep on my 760 and use it without the aperture in.

Here is how my Grandad taught me to shoot about 1952.

When you shoulder the rifle and your cheek is set on the stock your eye should be lined up with sights. If not, practice until you can shoulder the rifle quick with eyes closed until you can open them inline with sights. No different than shouldering a scoped rifle. It has payed off for me when "snap" shooting quail, pheasants etc. When shooting your eye only needs to see the front sight with a peep. RIP Grandpa

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was wondering about how far back they're mounted but I don't really like the side mount. I wonder if this model, also by williams would be the best of both worlds.

I've used both the one you show in this pic as well as the Williams FP. The FP is far more sturdy than the WGRS which only has a small set screw to hold the adjustment in place. Also, the FP is click adjustable, while the WGRS is slide adj.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a WGRS come undone on me this past fall while on a track. Even did a preseason check and everything, but I lost the entire apeature. It is being replaced with a Skinner.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I've used both the one you show in this pic as well as the Williams FP. The FP is far more sturdy than the WGRS which only has a small set screw to hold the adjustment in place. Also, the FP is click adjustable, while the WGRS is slide adj.

Good to know! Thank you!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have had the WGRS on two 760's for years without a problem.
To keep your WGRS aperture from sliding off, put a small amount of Shoe Goo under the set screw and each side of the slide. It will always be pliable to remove yet strong enough to keep it in place.

Last edited by Whokalouie; 03/21/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub

But you have to d&t 2 non-factory holes in the left side of the 760/7600 receiver to mount a Lyman, Redfield, or Williams FP. I ever understood why Remington never drilled, tapped, and plugged holes in the standard location and pattern for a receiver sight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.