Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What’s a home inspection run in your area?

Be damned if they don’t get about twice what they did 10 years or so ago.
Must be making up for work lost when 2.5% rates sent real estate markets into overdrive and everybody waived inspections. Lol.

For the record, was just quoted $585. They are kind enough to include the crawl space for that price😬

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As part of her service, our realtor pays for a home inspection for her clients, and the 3 hour inspection came in at $385. It was just done last week.

Our house was built in 2022, but the realtor insisted we have an inspection before the 1st year warranty was up.

This is close to the Denver, Colorado Metro area.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Depends on the square footage. A normal sized home is 1k to 2k. But you have to pay travel expenses for the inspector to fly over.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Depends on the square footage. A normal sized home is 1k to 2k. But you have to pay travel expenses for the inspector to fly over.

Damn!

I’ll quit my bitchin forthwith!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just under $400 IIRC three years ago.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If there is three feet of snow on the roof, they don’t look at that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Calvin

Damn!

I’ll quit my bitchin forthwith!

Appraisals aren't any different. expensive to buy a home up here when you have to fly people in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by k22hornet
As part of her service, our realtor pays for a home inspection for her clients, and the 3 hour inspection came in at $385. It was just done last week.

Our house was built in 2022, but the realtor insisted we have an inspection before the 1st year warranty was up.

Getting a home inspection on a year old house seems like a waste of $385.

YMMV…

Black Cows Matter!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by muleshoe

YMMV…

I have seen some new home inspections on youtube and they are a trainwreck with the quality of craftsmanship these days.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by muleshoe

YMMV…

The way I read it, it's for warranty purposes. Easier to get items fixed under warranty when it's a 3 party inspector providing a report.

He went over yonder way
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't had one since 2021 believe it was $300. Lately have heard from a few they paid more like $400 in the present times.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I only paid for one, and I forget the price, but the mfer never got out of his car. He drove up and asked me what I needed it to appraise for. I answered. He said “No problem.” and drove off. Later I learned he was the mortgage broker’s brother in law. Politicians in training I suppose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I only paid for one, and I forget the price, but the mfer never got out of his car. He drove up and asked me what I needed it to appraise for. I answered. He said “No problem.” and drove off. Later I learned he was the mortgage broker’s brother in law. Politicians in training I suppose.

Appraisal is a different animal from home inspection....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What exactly do folks expect to inspected for a $300 with a written report? And how much should a home inspector (assuming not a PE) fairly make on an hourly basis?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Had an inspector in Anchorage write up "the big leak from the hole in our sump pump discharge line", you know, the hole I drilled that lets the line drain back to the crawlspace sump when done pumping so that it doesn't freeze. That was impressive. I ripped him a brand new a-hole on that one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Both are generally a rip off.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hell I'd want an inspection on a brand new home these days, including having the sewer lateral scoped. I've seen more troubles with brand new house laterals from construction crews flushing everything imaginable down. You know, out of sight, out of mind.
Doing a little tile work, what's the big deal, flush that extra grout. Then along comes the paint crew, do clean up and flush all those clean up towels down, no big deal, excecpt that grout that was flushed the week earlier is now set up real good and hard. And stir sticks, and who knows how well the lateral was bedded to start with, Good chance it has a belly in it from the start.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cost doesn't include the cost of the re-trading on price or the additional list of closing conditions that cost money, unless it's a really tight market and the seller can say "take it or leave it." smile

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The cost doesn't include the cost of the re-trading on price or the additional list of closing conditions that cost money, unless it's a really tight market and the seller can say "take it or leave it." smile
Good point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Both are generally a rip off.

Realtors, mortgage brokers and appraisers are all in kahoots. Home inspector can be too. How dare say anything in a report that would delay closing or affect the sale price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.