Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Anschutz
Well, I went into my LGS expecting to potentially get a Henry Big Boy X .45 Colt and they had gotten a Winchester 1894XTR Big Bore in .375 Win in. This has been a bucket list gun for me for quite a while but every time I've seen one for sale, I didn't have the funds. They had it priced about $100 over the average gunbroker price from the last 30 days. I got them down the $100 and after accounting for what shipping to Alaska would be, I came out alright. It's New Haven made with no safety (like a lever gun should be). Now time to find brass, dies, bullets, and maybe a receiver sight. I'll post pics shortly but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Very cool. Congrats man. I love my 375 winchester. It was one of my grandpa's favorite lever actions. You will enjoy that one. Good luck on finding components. I know starline was making brass there for a while. You may still be able to find some of that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well, I went into my LGS expecting to potentially get a Henry Big Boy X .45 Colt and they had gotten a Winchester 1894XTR Big Bore in .375 Win in. This has been a bucket list gun for me for quite a while but every time I've seen one for sale, I didn't have the funds. They had it priced about $100 over the average gunbroker price from the last 30 days. I got them down the $100 and after accounting for what shipping to Alaska would be, I came out alright. It's New Haven made with no safety (like a lever gun should be). Now time to find brass, dies, bullets, and maybe a receiver sight. I'll post pics shortly but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Very cool. Congrats man. I love my 375 winchester. It was one of my grandpa's favorite lever actions. You will enjoy that one. Good luck on finding components. I know starline was making brass there for a while. You may still be able to find some of that.

I found a guy on GB with new Starline Brass I ordered 25 pieces just to get me started. I'll probably order another 100 when I can and leave 20 for hunting only once I find a load I want to hunt with. Right now I'm down to the Vortex Venom, Burris FF3, FF4, and Crimson Trace for a sight. I can get any of these for a really good price through a pro deal.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Buffalo Arms and Graf both have them fairly reasonable (by todays standards) once in a while. I got some from both sources last fall. They were well under a buck a pop.

Graf has some QualCart 375 brass in stock, but that stuff is pretty salty. Only time I ever buy QC is if I can't find any alternative for brand.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Just got done trying the Shock Hammers.

As expected, velocities were fairly low. Turned out, that was where it was happy, anyway. 1500-1550fps was about the sweet spot. The groups all turned to buckshot much beyond 1600. Lower than 1450fps were pretty lousy, too.

N130 was the best powder, far and away. IMR3031 was decent, and R7 was essentially terrible across the board.

Got myself a winner for deer season that I'm pretty happy with. I'm not going to be shooting a mile, and it's very pleasant in terms of recoil. 27gr N130 CCI200, mean velocity of 1502fps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by zcm82; 02/28/23. Reason: addition
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That will definitely ruin Bambi's date night.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
That will definitely ruin Bambi's date night.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I hate heavy recoil, so the rifle favoring lower velocites really doesn't bother me. It's a lot flatter shooting than the 45 Colt while still slinging a big bullet, which is all I was really looking for.

I have my 300 Blackout for occasions I want/need to reach out a bit farther.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Anschutz - welcome to the 375 win club. You’ll find quite a few threads on this cartridge if you do a search. Those top eject Winchesters are light, handy and were well made. I like using heavier cast pills at 1800-2000 fps. If you cast your own it’s cheap to run.

zcm82 - It’s surprising to hear of your poor performance using R-7. It’s been the best performing powder for me and many other users. Another good powder is AR2207 / H-4198. There aren’t many powders that provide good velocity and accuracy in that small case.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The best group (if you want to even call it a group) I got with R7 was about 4"... not so good at 55 yards. 😬

I saw H4198 listed, but I don't have a lot of it left, and the bit I do have is reserved for use in my 300 Savage. That rifle loves the stuff, but it's like finding fairy dust now. H4198 and H4895 have both been near unobtanium for quite a while here in the states.

N130 is actually one of the powders I started messing with looking for an H4198 alternative last year and it has worked out pretty well for me in a few cartridges now.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That’s really strange. I have the opposite experience. My groups at 50 mtrs using open sights and loads with R7 in both the 375W and 45/70 are generally 1” or less and mostly one ragged hole.

I’ve only got 1.5lbs of R7 left and I’m leaving it for the 375W. There are several powders that work well in the 45/70.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by JFE
Anschutz - welcome to the 375 win club. You’ll find quite a few threads on this cartridge if you do a search. Those top eject Winchesters are light, handy and were well made. I like using heavier cast pills at 1800-2000 fps. If you cast your own it’s cheap to run.

I have not done any casting in a few years but I may pick up a mold for it and my .375 H&H. I shot some cast loads out of a Chapuis .375 double owned by a guy at the range and it was very pleasant.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It was probably the velocity more than the powder specifically. The R7 loads were all on the faster end of what I tested, and those bullets did not like speed at all. Accuracy went right out the window above 1600fps with N130 and IMR3031, too.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If they were cast, the bullets need to be a little large in diameter. The 375W does have a long, large throat for a levergun rifle cartridge - most levergun rifle cartridges have little or in a lot of cases, no throat at all. I find that to get the best accuracy out of straight wall cartridges you need a fat bullet to centre the case in the chamber, especially given the long throat in the 375W.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Definitely not cast 😏

Not my first rodeo with straight wall rifles, I've owned a dozen or so over the years. I presently load 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Federal, 375 Win, and 45 Colt for rifles.

In the past I've had 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 45/70, and 444 Marlin.

I've encountered a couple bullet/rifle combos before that were kind of velocity sensitive, too. The 357 Maximum I had was a good shooter with Barnes XPBs, but only between about 1700-1900fps. Above or below that it just threw patterns instead of groups.

Last edited by zcm82; 03/02/23. Reason: addition
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=T_Inman]I've got a 98% condition pre-safety big bore in .307 Win.

Does yours have the front bridge drilled/tapped parallel to the bore, or perpendicular? The perpendicular ones are a total PIA to find mounts for, as the common Warne mounts labeled "1894 Big Bore" won't fit. I got lucky and found a correct set of mounts for mine, which is a perpendicular model, here on the 'fire.

Radial or I line bases available here.

[img]https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/W94FSB[/img]

Slim
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats and Enjoy as I know you will.
One of my Favorites.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by william_iorg
[quote=T_Inman]I've got a 98% condition pre-safety big bore in .307 Win.

Does yours have the front bridge drilled/tapped parallel to the bore, or perpendicular? The perpendicular ones are a total PIA to find mounts for, as the common Warne mounts labeled "1894 Big Bore" won't fit. I got lucky and found a correct set of mounts for mine, which is a perpendicular model, here on the 'fire.

Big hand for wiam iorg his post led me to the bases I needed..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[quote=william_iorg][quote=T_Inman]I've got a 98% condition pre-safety big bore in .307 Win.

Big hand for wiam iorg his post led me to the bases I needed..mb[

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Got the dot in earlier this week and got it mounted up. Sits a little high for a good cheek wild but that's to be expected. It comes up very nicely. Now to find some time to load and shoot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a .44 mag. version in the late 80's. So far I only shot one coyote with it that was enticing my female German Shepard. One 240 grain XTP thru the lungs at 40 yards rolled it and then it hopped up and ran about 50 yards into the brush. Tracking was easy in the snow and I was amazed at the amount of blood loss. Tough SOB!

My wife packed it on our fall moose, caribou and blue berry safaris. I shot two caribou with the factory Rem. 240 grain soft points. Good for lung shots.

With some 280 grain cast LBT's I would be ok shooting any of our Alaskan critters at under 50 yards. The 10 round magazine tube gives lots of quick follow up shots. But unless pass shooting at raptors or fighting off the Taliban I doubt any one needs 10 rounds.

I thought about having a gun smith setting it up for 300 grain or heavier cast bullets, but not needed for lung shots on any critter up here.

I have and aversion to scopes on a tube fed lever gun with and exposed hammer. But during moose season it wears a Leupold 1.5-5x20 with a German #4 reticle. Other then that I like XS peeps n their post with white line in the middle up front.

Couple years ago I bought a beautiful 94 Big Bore in .356 Win. and my wife made a gorgeous scabbard for it from a very large river otter. Modified some 225 grain Partitions for it and it is a more better big critter slayer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.