Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As on a school report card - which term do you use?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grades.

My parents said grades. I remember my grandfather that was from Kentucky always saying marks and my grandmother using both terms. I’m not sure if it was more of a regional, generational thing or both. My grandparents would be about 100 now.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Grades are an indicator of performance. Marks are an expression of grades

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We called them grades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad usually called them marks while mom said grades. My marks/grades should have been much better, but I never tried. I wish I had.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
As a college instructor - Grades - ea. semester

which resulted in Re-marks, so both basically.

I didn't give out grades, I just wrote them in the book

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
On my report cards?

"A's"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Georgia schools I remember

F- failure
N needs improvement
S satisfactory
E excellent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Georgia schools I remember

F- failure
N needs improvement
S satisfactory
E excellent
What we had in the little school I went to until we were bussed to a different town for high school.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The grading system when I was in school and the home result:

A: That's what's expected.
B: Wouldn't take much to make that an A.
C: Visit with teacher coming.
D: Don't know - didn't happen (hid in clubhouse if it had).
F: Again, didn't happen (headed for Canada directly from school if it had).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like Rodney Dangerfield, it warnt the questions I hade trouble with, it was the answers. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grandma said marks, Mom and Dad called them grades.
I always did pretty well in school, despite never taking a book home after 10th grade. If it didn’t get done in study hall, I didn’t lose any sleep over it.
With a garage to wrench in in the evening and constantly stuff to do, school wasn’t real high on my priority list .
Bs and Cs in English and Math, As & Bs in everything else.
I was a natural reader when I wasn’t outside the house.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Grandma Busch called them marks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Marks and grades are two different things to me, with grades being derived from the mark you got. For example, a mark of 95/100, is a grade "A" or "high distinction", while a mark of 51/100 is a grade "D" or "pass". Less than 50 and your grade is "fail".

My kids' school reports, until year 12, had the mark for each subject shown on a chart, showing the kid's numerical mark compared with the class average, year average, middle 50%, maximum and minimum mark for the year. That way you had a good picture of where your kid's mark placed them compared with others. They would also grade them on various behavioural ratings, so you could see for example whether your kid works hard and takes an interest or is lazy and a bit of a dickhead.

There's also a national exam here every two years, in maths and English, and the results show your child's mark compared to national benchmarks, so you get a mark and a grade. For example, your year seven kid might get 92% for English, and a grade of Band 9 (ie meet the benchmark for Year 9). The results are also available by school, so you can see if your kid's school is doing well or poorly too.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We got grades. I remember thinking at the time that they were important. Not really so much. Literally NOBODY later asked to see my HS grades. When I went to a community college they just wanted to see a diploma. Later on, universities only wanted my college transcripts. I’m glad to have learned a lot in HS but regret having stressed for one minute about a grade.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Grades.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Marks and grades are two different things to me, with grades being derived from the mark you got. For example, a mark of 95/100, is a grade "A" or "high distinction", while a mark of 51/100 is a grade "D" or "pass". Less than 50 and your grade is "fail".

My kids' school reports, until year 12, had the mark for each subject shown on a chart, showing the kid's numerical mark compared with the class average, year average, middle 50%, maximum and minimum mark for the year. That way you had a good picture of where your kid's mark placed them compared with others. They would also grade them on various behavioural ratings, so you could see for example whether your kid works hard and takes an interest or is lazy and a bit of a dickhead.

There's also a national exam here every two years, in maths and English, and the results show your child's mark compared to national benchmarks, so you get a mark and a grade. For example, your year seven kid might get 92% for English, and a grade of Band 9 (ie meet the benchmark for Year 9). The results are also available by school, so you can see if your kid's school is doing well or poorly too.

This was the grading scale in my public high school.

96-100=A
90-95=B
80-89=C
75-80=D
74 and below=F

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR
We got grades. I remember thinking at the time that they were important. Not really so much. Literally NOBODY later asked to see my HS grades. When I went to a community college they just wanted to see a diploma. Later on, universities only wanted my college transcripts. I’m glad to have learned a lot in HS but regret having stressed for one minute about a grade.

Well, maybe your grades didn't follow you throughout your life, but how about your PERMANENT RECORD? (You know, the one where every transgression that you committed would be chiseled into stone to haunt your every step from that day forward.)

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by dan_oz

This was the grading scale in my public high school.

96-100=A
90-95=B
80-89=C
75-80=D
74 and below=F

There is nothing more ridiculous than a UNIFORM GRADING SCALE based on percentages. How in hell is a written assignment supposed to be graded on a percentage basis? Even when there is a basis for figuring %, there is vast difference between a 20-question geometry test and a 125-question, true/false history test.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by WMR

Well, maybe your grades didn't follow you throughout your life, but how about your PERMANENT RECORD? (You know, the one where every transgression that you committed would be chiseled into stone to haunt your every step from that day forward.)

I have a wife for that. 😳

God, however, has forgiven me. So I guess it will work out fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.