Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Rooster7
If I could, I would go back to high school just to play football again.

I would too. We had a reunion of football players last Aug. it was good to see them boys. There were some I didn’t recognize until they told me their names.

We were class A, about 200 in high school. I would not have been good enough to play at a higher classification.

I also played Class A in east Texas. 1965-69. District 21.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

I would too. We had a reunion of football players last Aug. it was good to see them boys. There were some I didn’t recognize until they told me their names.

We were class A, about 200 in high school. I would not have been good enough to play at a higher classification.

We were 26A Magnolia, Willis, Hempstead, Splendora, New Waverly, Montgomery and Tarkington. We had 8 points scored on us in district. Hempstead ran a kick off back, made two point conversion

Last edited by hanco; 03/17/23.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There were just under 800 in my class in high school 1960. I went out for football sophomore and junior years, did not dress for a regular game. Had a number of real studs on the team. including a cousin, who was all conference lineman. He was a walk on at University of Illinois as a freshman. Freshmen could not play varsity at that time. He transferred to Northern Illinois cooperative program with Mayo Clinic in sports physical therapy. He had two sons, big strapping boys: he would not allow them to play football. He was team therapist for Tampa Bay Buccaneers and a couple of colleges in Florida. He had seen too many crippling injuries at al levels.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I remember read one of the Selman brothers bled on the bedsheet year round.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: I "tried" to play football for my high schools "perennial" state championship team, but, there were 851 Seniors in my graduating class alone, and try as I might I never made the Varsity Team.
I do remember one rainy try-out day on our muddy to the max training field, the head coach came up to me in my rather clean practice uniform and said "VarmintKid - YOU are not trying hard enough" and he picked me up and threw me face first into a large mud-puddle!
I was soon cut from that years tryouts - again!
I resented, at the time, that coaches "ass-chewings" of me, but I swear his interactions with me were a great part of my now lifelong "intensity of endeavor" mental outlook/habits.
I did, though, excel at the after football game "fist-fights" that occurred with the opposing teams classmates!
Do they still have after high school game fistfights, amongst the rival high schoolers?
Aaahhh... to be young again - NO THANKS!
I am lucky I lived through my youth.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I tried….but failed. I was skinny, terribly slow (until past 220 yards) even the linemen outran me in the short sprints, and was “blind as a bat” without my glasses and my parent couldn’t afford to replace them….so played without them!

I really wanted too….just couldn’t do it! ☹️ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I wasn’t super fast, 10.3 hundred guy. We had 5 or 6 that could break 10.0 flat. Was fair quarter miler, could do 48.0 flat. I liked all the football drills, especially bull in the ring.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Played 9-12 grades. Our high school had about 400 students per grade level. Coaches knew I was smart so they had me learn all the offensive line positions and not inside and outside linebacker positions. Senior year I started both sides and all special teams except kickoff and punt team. Speed was not my forte.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Six years total....two junior team....four varsity! Linebacker/tackle at times and when rainy and nasty fullback! Graduated 1958! My knees talk to me every day but no knee replacements thank the Good Lord! Loved the game! Today....the a ssholes kneeling ruined the game for me! The NFL can go straight to hell!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

We were 26A Magnolia, Willis, Hempstead, Splendora, New Waverly, Montgomery and Tarkington. We had 8 points scored on us in district. Hempstead ran a kick off back, made two point conversion

Westwood (Palestine), Elkhart, Grapeland, Trinity, Groveton, Alto and Corrigan. We were subjected to 2 non-district games every year. Crockett and Buffalo. Both AA schools. Got our butt whipped every time! LOL!
Until Westwood advanced to AA, they never beat us.

The 1965 team won district, won Bi-District and lost Regional.
Their defense was unscored on in district play.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I caught a touchdown pass in Trinity in 1969. They still play on that same field

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I wasn’t super fast, 10.3 hundred guy. We had 5 or 6 that could break 10.0 flat. Was fair quarter miler, could do 48.0 flat. I liked all the football drills, especially bull in the ring.

Hanco, not saying you weren’t fast but 10.3 is ultra elite speed. California state high school record is 10.1…

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I played team sports(basketball, baseball, football) from age 9 to age 16. Once I got a drivers license and a car my sports career was over.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I played team sports(basketball, baseball, football) from age 9 to age 15 or 16. Once I got a drivers license and a car my sports career was over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I caught a touchdown pass in Trinity in 1969. They still play on that same field

Has the stadium improved any?
Best I remember, the field wasn't bad, but their visitor fieldhouse was the pits! LOL!
When we played "away" games, we were required to wear slacks, sports jacket and tie. Coach Trantham WOULD NOT let you back on the bus until you had showered after the game.

Last time I played Trinity was fall 1968. I graduated in '69!

In '67, the district championship was between us and Groveton.
While we suited up, a manager came in and gave us a program that gave us the names, positions, height and weight of each player.
Of note, was one man!
George Ellis - 6'8" - 280 🤯
I was 5'9" and 175 fully suited up!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with that dude except occasionally!
We won the toss.
On the kick off, Big G was lined up on front of me!
"Oh, great!"
When we broke our offensive huddle, I turned to stare down Big G!
"Rats!"
Actually, the dude wasn't that hard to handle.
When they broke their offensive huddle, guess who came up to face me down?
Yup! Big G!
One of the easiest blocking assignments I had all year!
Best I can tell, is Big G had him a "growth spurt" between seasons, but he hadn't figured out how to handle all that height and weight! When the ball snapped, his first move was to stand straight up!
I kept big boy on the ground most of the night. My biggest problemb2as to keep him from falling on me
Pass protection was a riot!
In the game film, you could see the top of my helmet hit him on the chin, then he'd swing at me. I'd pop him in the chin again and he'd swing at me with the other arm! Hilarious.
Hit him at the ankles and it looked like a sequoia falling.
Defense was the same. Twice I tripped him so he took his own QB down!
We won, but it was still a good game!

Do you remember the MD that had a practice at Groveton for years? Then they discovered the guy had no medical license nor had he ever been to med school!
One of our linebackers suffered a concussion, that doctor checked him out that night!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picture from my High School year book. Me running for a touchdown after an interception. Played Halfback, and Middle Linebacker, I returned punts and kickoffs, and scored all the points in one of the games too, that we won :o)

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/18/23.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Played 9-12th grade. Small for a lineman, slow for a receiver, but loved to hit people so I had that going for me. Loved the game. Got a letter somewhere.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.