Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My local FFL just informed me that a BATFE agent visited him, told him a new FFL rule is he can not sell/transfer to any non ffl out of state. She says it is a new rule. He told us she has lied to him before. He is in Missouri, so she is claiming he cannot transfer to any resident of another state. I am guessing this is BS. But I don't know for sure.

Anyone else heard of this?

I know some states will not sell to a resident of some other states. Once in AZ I couldn't buy a rimfire rifle at wally world, because I am a MO resident. Might be different now.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I live in Arkansas and I can drive 50 miles down to Louisiana and buy a long gun all day but not a pistol!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Believe Nebraska has a contiguous border agreement with Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota and Wyoming. Colorado is iffy. Basically I can go buy a long gun in any of those states as long as I buy and take possession of from an FFL and meet all the rules of those states and Nebraska. Handguns have to be shipped.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
its only pistols not long guns in person

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Somebody is pulling somebody else’s leg. That would take a change in the law.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The law is you can buy a long gun in an adjoining state, but not a handgun.

It's law, not a rule.

I know the Gestapo makes people think their "rules" and such are laws, but they aren't.

Fugg all those over-reaching corksuckers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My understanding is that it's governed by the purchaser's state of residence. When I spent some time in AZ in 2012, I recall a sign in Walmart listing the states they couldn't sell to, and an FFL said he'd have to check to see if my home state allowed an out-of-state purchase and delivery. Also, that's long guns only. Purchase and taking possession of handguns out-of-state is a no-no, period.

Of course we all know that "Going to states with weak gun laws to circumvent your own state laws" is a load of crap. Federal law governs most firearm transactions.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
My understanding is that it's governed by the purchaser's state of residence. When I spent some time in AZ in 2012, I recall a sign in Walmart listing the states they couldn't sell to, and an FFL said he'd have to check to see if my home state allowed an out-of-state purchase and delivery. Also, that's long guns only. Purchase and taking possession of handguns out-of-state is a no-no, period.

State law has to be followed by FFL's too.

But the only regulation the ATF has is federal law. States are a can of worms with what they allow, or don't allow.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's true, but the antis believe that states can ignore or override federal law, which they can't. Another way to look at it is that federal law sets a minimum standard that all states must follow. They can't opt out, however much we might wish they could.

Of course we're talking about interstate purchases here. Sales to residents is a whole other can of worms, as you pointed out.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri has been a “bordering state” is ok to sell to since at least 2003 when I moved here. Long guns of course. Handguns are in state only per the feds.

I wish your FFL would ask the agent for the statute she is referring to. Often times authority is misinformed on their beliefs versus the actual laws.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Show me the statute...."

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Believe Nebraska has a contiguous border agreement with Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota and Wyoming. Colorado is iffy. Basically I can go buy a long gun in any of those states as long as I buy and take possession of from an FFL and meet all the rules of those states and Nebraska. Handguns have to be shipped.

Contiguous states was once a thing, but has been obsolete since 1986.

Last edited by natman; 03/18/23.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, My brother works part time in a local gunstore, he says they still sell to residents of states that touch Missouri, Long guns, usually Illinois, if they have a FOID card.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Buck720
I live in Arkansas and I can drive 50 miles down to Louisiana and buy a long gun all day but not a pistol!

That is the Federal law. Interstate sales of handguns has been prohibited since (I thinkl) 1986. Some states have state laws more restrictive.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
No wonder for the confusion. It appears the libs have been twisting the 'net to suit themselves again, factual or not. This is what I found with a quick search. We all know the opening sentence is false. But how would average Joe know. And how often do they read the rest of the paragraph.

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/sales-across-state-lines
Federal law prohibits the sale of most firearms (including handguns) to people who live in a different state from where the sale is taking place. Dealers who have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) may sell rifles or shotguns to people who live in a different state, but only if this would comply with the laws of both the state where the sale is taking place and the state where the person lives. Texas law does not prohibit Texans from buying firearms in a different state.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.