Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Liled,

I own an A&S Farmars sidelock. I bought it a couple of months ago and haven't done much shooting with it yet. Mine is in 375H&H and weighs 8.5lbs. Very pretty rifle with excellent fit and finish. Excellent sights. Excellent balance and handling.

I'll be adding a set of mounts, a leather pad and sling eyes and getting it sorted for a safari this coming season.

I'm not afraid of the higher pressure rimless rounds in doubles like some are. My elephant rifle is a Marcel Thys sidelock in 458wm. 800 rounds, 11 elephants, 4 cape buffalo, 1 zebra, 1 klipspringer and 1 baboon mercy killing, no problems.

And I've been elephant hunting with barrowed 458wm ammo which is ubiquitous, as is 375H&H.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 12/24/07.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kingmanguy
My itch to own a double is starting to get the best of me, but before I rush into it I would like to educate myself. Is there a forum/website that any of you would recommend? Ray Atkinson--I would especially like to hear from you. There is a world of experience on this forum and I would love to hear from any/all of you. Many thanks.
Ed

I would check these guys out if you haven't. http://www.krieghoff.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

They offer double rifles in just about every caliber including 30-06 and .308Winny. They also offer their double rifles with scopes and in the above calibers should be good out to 300 hundred yards. I've never have owned or used one but if I were a young man again starting out I would get one. Oh ya they make left-hand stocks for their doubles or at least did the last time I looked. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"Oh ya they make left-hand stocks for their doubles or at least did the last time I looked."

They still do.

Some do not the cocking/decocking issues with the Kreighoff. One PH I hunt with loves his Kreighoff 470 and it has saved his life more than once. I'm not a huge fan of the system and prefer a regular safety slide.

I'm a lefty and that can make finding the right double rifle a PITA. But I've found that for most right handed boxlock rifles the stock can be bent to accomodate cast on required for properly fitting us lefties. I like about 1/4" of cast on and this is achievable if the rifle doesn't have too much cast off for the righty.

For the few box locks or the many sidelocks which have long top straps, and often long trigger gaurd straps, bending is not possible. For those, removing the cheek piece for the righty and then taking some wood away from the right side has worked for me. Both of my double rifles are former right handed sidelocks with long top straps.

I also have the triggers twisted so that my finger makes full contact with the blade. (They start twisted for a righty) I started shooting SxS shotguns and don't like a true mirror image lefty gun, but some are out there. There are also right opening top levers but reversed triggers guns too.

Searcy will make one anyway you want it, btw.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 12/25/07.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (7887mm08, 160user, 35, AlanF, 300_savage, AceBall, 11 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,921
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.