Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nope. I'll check it out but if it doesn't dispense more knowledge about .32-20's than what I've learned in 40+ years of messing with it I won't buy it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As others have said, check for dust on the powder.

I recently got about 10-12lbs of various powders, some of which are very old, from an estate. I dumped each can into a bowl and only one had dust on it. That can went onto the lawn. The rest will get used.

I have about 2lbs of AL-5 I am still using. I loaded shotgun ammo from that can back in the mid-60's. It works fine in 380, 38sp and 9mm.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had this sitting on the shelf for years, found it like this one day, had undergone some sort of reaction, orange stuff bubbled up, ate through the lid, smelled of ammonia.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I probably wouldn't use that powder.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Update: I poured out each pound of powder on a white sheet of desk blotter paper, looking for any red/rust dust. Four pounds of IMR4350 and three pounds of IMR3031 all clean. Whoopee!! I didn't check the Norma 200 or the half can of IMR4064, but will if I ever use it. I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Like others have said, the powder inside the cans will tell the tale. I've been tapping into a huge stash of handloading components accumulated (hoarded) by a child of The Depression who now spends his days reminiscing about his stint in the post-war Army and then working as a ranch hand in Wyoming right after WWII. Some of the powder cans looked exactly like the ones you pictured. Some of them, cans of 4064 made by DuPont in the 60's-70's looked worse. So far, no issues - I've shot a helluva lot of it and in the case of the 4064 I wish I had more of it, my .30-06's love it. There's even about a dozen unopened cans of various Herter's powders from the 60's that I'm very curious about but am a bit leery of only because data for that stuff is a little thin on the ground these days.

All of this hoard was stored in a decidedly un-climate controlled wooden garage, and has suffered three to six decades of wild fluctuations of temperature/humidity which only denizens here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay will understand. "Store in a cool dry place" warnings were completely ignored by the old gentleman, but knock on wood I haven't encountered any components yet that have gone sour.

As for "who shoots .32-20 anymore?" Well, I do and would surely love to have more components for it. Please keep me in mind if you decide to dispose of it!

Side note: there must be at least half a ton of #9 shot piled out there, the canvas bags rotting and the shot acquiring a lot of oxidation. I've tried reclaiming it by vibratory tumbling with fresh graphite powder mixed in, and that works but is time consuming and I don't shoot skeet anymore. I think I'm better off melting it into ingots instead.

I’ve got two 32/20’s that I load for. A Smith M&P my grandfather bought about 100 years ago and a Ruger Buckeye convertible 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by erickg

Had this sitting on the shelf for years, found it like this one day, had undergone some sort of reaction, orange stuff bubbled up, ate through the lid, smelled of ammonia.

Had the same thing happen with some IMR 4895 but had a strong bleach/chlorine smell.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by erickg

When you scrape the head off the top what's it like underneath?

Just kidding.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Update: I poured out each pound of powder on a white sheet of desk blotter paper, looking for any red/rust dust. Four pounds of IMR4350 and three pounds of IMR3031 all clean. Whoopee!! I didn't check the Norma 200 or the half can of IMR4064, but will if I ever use it. I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.

Rev, find a group local that shoots BP. they will give you everlasting love for those cans of Holy Black.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Like others have said, the powder inside the cans will tell the tale. I've been tapping into a huge stash of handloading components accumulated (hoarded) by a child of The Depression who now spends his days reminiscing about his stint in the post-war Army and then working as a ranch hand in Wyoming right after WWII. Some of the powder cans looked exactly like the ones you pictured. Some of them, cans of 4064 made by DuPont in the 60's-70's looked worse. So far, no issues - I've shot a helluva lot of it and in the case of the 4064 I wish I had more of it, my .30-06's love it. There's even about a dozen unopened cans of various Herter's powders from the 60's that I'm very curious about but am a bit leery of only because data for that stuff is a little thin on the ground these days.

All of this hoard was stored in a decidedly un-climate controlled wooden garage, and has suffered three to six decades of wild fluctuations of temperature/humidity which only denizens here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay will understand. "Store in a cool dry place" warnings were completely ignored by the old gentleman, but knock on wood I haven't encountered any components yet that have gone sour.

As for "who shoots .32-20 anymore?" Well, I do and would surely love to have more components for it. Please keep me in mind if you decide to dispose of it!

Side note: there must be at least half a ton of #9 shot piled out there, the canvas bags rotting and the shot acquiring a lot of oxidation. I've tried reclaiming it by vibratory tumbling with fresh graphite powder mixed in, and that works but is time consuming and I don't shoot skeet anymore. I think I'm better off melting it into ingots instead.

I’ve got two 32/20’s that I load for. A Smith M&P my grandfather bought about 100 years ago and a Ruger Buckeye convertible 😁

A Browning M53 and a recently acquired Marlin M1894 that I'll shoot for the first time tomorrow.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Rev, find a group local that shoots BP. they will give you everlasting love for those cans of Holy Black.

Good idea. Everyone I know who hunts BP shoots those premeasured pellets (or whatever they are), but I'll ask one of the local game wardens. I expect he'll know.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Unless it gets wet, BP doesn't go bad.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had a little over a half pound of surplus H-4831 go bad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
By coincidence I have some very old H4831 in cardboard containers Guessing from the 50's.

Opened one up yesterday....Looked like any H4831 I have used. Loaded up three rounds with 70 gr and 200MK. Velocities on my chrono averaged 2831.

Have six containers. Been stored in dry workroom.

I for sure will check any of it before using, but plan on using it.

Lefty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad bought a keg of H4831 as military surplus just after WW11.

He stored it in 1 gallon cans. I used up the last of in back in the mid 70's along with military surplus primers in wooden trays.

It worked just fine.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.
Don't waste it, give it all away! GD & BD are fine for shotgun & pistol.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.
Don't waste it, give it all away! GD & BD are fine for shotgun & pistol.

Good grief yes, don't waste it! Why would someone pour perfectly good powder on the lawn?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yeah, I probably wouldn't use that powder.

Where’s your spirit of adventure?😜

That’s some funky-lookin’ stuff. Not sure I even want that dumped on my lawn……

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dust and smell.

Only ever found bad powder once, and it wasn't real old.

Funny thing about old powder,
Everyone worries if it's bad. "Will it blow up my gun?)
But they will shoot ancient loaded rounds?

I have had bad Remington 243 ammo from the 80s.
Misfires, on inspection, their was corrosion at the bullet and primer edges.
I bought it new, stored in the living area of my homes the whole time.

Well whippersnapper... 80s ain't old. I have shot and know a friend that still has some ww1 45 ammo. Worst part is now and then one won't go bang...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This day and time dumping powder just because you have no use for it isn't smart at all. Any of that can be used for multiple purposes if the shortage and need is there.

FWIW I'm still running a case of Dupont black from 64.
Bought a big keg of surplus ball from the late 60 or early 70s. Its all still running just fine.

I just can't envision folks throwing away good powder. Primers or bullets. Heck I'd use 270 if I was forced to. And even with game kings if thats all I had.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,295
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.