Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
…in scope rings!

Aarrrrgh!

It doesn’t matter if the scope rings are $145 dollars or $75 bucks. Some rings are inherently problematic when trying to level and center the reticle in a scope when properly tightening down the ring screws.

Following the instructions, which are basically the exact same thing for all rings. Some rings will ‘roll’ a scope as the rings tighten down leaving you a reticle that is slightly askew of where you had it perfectly positioned before screwing down.

I’ve used many ring mfg’s like Seekins Precision, Vortex Precision (same as Seekins) Vortex Pro rings, Warne, Leupold, Steiner, Burris, and Uber expensive Zeiss rings.

Of all the rings I’ve installed over the years, Zeiss rings have been the worst. They have these 3 ridges inside the ring cap, that I guess is supposed to grip the scope tube better as you tighten screws.

I believe the issue must be these ridges are grabbing the scope tube too early in the process of tightening down. Then as I continue to finalize the sequence of tightening screws with a torque wrench. I throw the rifle up and viola, scope reticle has moved.

I’ve messed with these Zeiss rings for a few days, and again, just now. I’m so over these bitches.

My last effort will be to place my reticle off a smidge at the beginning and see if these whore of a dog Zeiss rings will roll the reticle into the position they should be in.

End of Rant!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not just get some good rings? Like ARC m-10/M-Braces?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
My last effort will be to place my reticle off a smidge at the beginning and see if these whore of a dog Zeiss rings will roll the reticle into the position they should be in.

🦫

That's called Ar-kan-saw Windage. Weaver perfected rings that turn your scope as you tighten them down. Every brand following are amateurs.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don, at $165 dollars for these rings. A guy might have thunk they’d be good 2 go.

I have Seekins and Vortex rings on hand. They’ll fix me up.

Here’s a look at these expensive pile of schite.

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-prod...lescope-accessories/precision-rings.html

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

End of Rant!

🦫

That's what we always had to do with the old strap-over type of Weaver rings I grew up using, like Fireball2 mentions.

These days, I get everything situated, get the ring top-halves nice and centered, and then I get all the screws in to the point where they are just about to start cinching. Then I start going in cross-hatch pattern, turning in each screw about a quarter turn, maybe even an eight of a turn at first. Once there is some good cinching going on and the scope is not as apt to rotation, I'll maybe turn each screw about half a rotation at a time. Seems to work okay more often than not.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Those ridges look like they would guarantee leaving ring marks on a scope.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I tighten rings in multiple stages using small increments of torque on the fasteners. I get the reticle the way I want it when things are starting to tighten but I can still adjust the scope with some effort. This mostly prevents problems with the scope canting turning during the final torque steps.

Old style Weavers can still require a bit of the "preloaded cant" technique however.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do the same as you and Jpro mentioned. Small, counted turns, followed by each screw in cross sequence getting the same amount of small turns.

I do this process until I’m tight enough to grab the torque and make the final adjustments.

A lot of ring’s there isn’t any issue. Then there’s a few that just hate on a guy. Like these Zeiss rings.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
That frustrates the crap out of me too Beav. One thing I've done to attempt to counteract that is to take a couple the proper sized tools and tighten both sides of the ring at the same time, at least that's what works best for me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That frustrates the crap out of me too Beav. One thing I've done to attempt to counteract that is to take a couple the proper sized tools and tighten both sides of the ring at the same time, at least that's what works best for me.

Johnny,

That’s a trick I haven’t tried.

I will give it a try.

Thanks!

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lap and bed the rings for full contact with the scope tube. You'll be surprised how the rolling stops.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We're over here working like cavemen and this guy is living in 2050.... lol

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro

We're over here working like cavemen and this guy is living in 2050.... lol

Frick’n Texans!

Lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Lap and bed the rings for full contact with the scope tube. You'll be surprised how the rolling stops.

Good shootin' -Al

Thanks, Al.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This is what I do as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had only one brand of ring that stayed put when cranking a scope. They are twice of the price of most rings and rails. I plan on buying them again. Hint: They are made in Canada

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
SportsMatch.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yea right.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ARC rings have the best clamp design to alleviate this problem.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
…in scope rings!

Aarrrrgh!

It doesn’t matter if the scope rings are $145 dollars or $75 bucks. Some rings are inherently problematic when trying to level and center the reticle in a scope when properly tightening down the ring screws.

Following the instructions, which are basically the exact same thing for all rings. Some rings will ‘roll’ a scope as the rings tighten down leaving you a reticle that is slightly askew of where you had it perfectly positioned before screwing down.

I’ve used many ring mfg’s like Seekins Precision, Vortex Precision (same as Seekins) Vortex Pro rings, Warne, Leupold, Steiner, Burris, and Uber expensive Zeiss rings.

Of all the rings I’ve installed over the years, Zeiss rings have been the worst. They have these 3 ridges inside the ring cap, that I guess is supposed to grip the scope tube better as you tighten screws.

I believe the issue must be these ridges are grabbing the scope tube too early in the process of tightening down. Then as I continue to finalize the sequence of tightening screws with a torque wrench. I throw the rifle up and viola, scope reticle has moved.

I’ve messed with these Zeiss rings for a few days, and again, just now. I’m so over these bitches.

End of Rant!

🦫

ARCs are the answer.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 50 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.