Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
What is going to be the more accurate out of the box rifle? I'm leaning to the savage fvss. but the rem sure is a looker.

I dont have any gunsmith experience and I dont reload. So I'd be happy with breaking 1/2 groups if possible at 100 yds with factory ammo....no need to get any tighter though someday soon I'm sure I'll try and break that, which means I need to reload....another hobby in the making wink.

ANy others out there to consider?

I'd prefer something with stainless barrel and either a synthetic or all wood stock prefering the synthetic.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I would go Remington (and did, I have three) because of looks alone. Both will meet or exceed your requirements. Not to say you will not find a bad one but on the whole they are both good choices. I went on looks and feel to make my pick. I have found no advantage with the fluted barrel, aside from looks. My guns have laminated or walnut stocks, I don't care for the Tupperware stocks. So, in reality mine are VLS and VLSS models.

I just cannot get past the "ugly" with the Savage rifles.

It is hard to beat factory ammo for accuracy. Handloading will give more choices and a savings in cost but modern ammo is just about as accurate as handloaded ammo. The best that I have found, or that my rifles "like" is Winchester USA brand. The white box low priced "leader item" stuff sold at Wal Mart.

You can't go wrong with either of these. You can spend more money but you will just buy vanity and ego. You will need mega bucks to buy one that shoots better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go remmy also. But I would have to differ with you on saying factory ammo is just as accurate it is not. Some factory fodder is very good but you still have better accuracy with handloads. I haven't had any of the factory fodder beat up on my handloads. Some shoot very well but not as good. Nothing wrong with factory is you don't reload but for the guy who is diligent with his reloading can out shoot any factory out there. JMO HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan, I would take the remmy every time...... Have 4 of the VSSF's. Well only 3 now, just sold a VSSF II here on 24 hr last week.
I really like the new VSSF II stock with the double palm swell. The two in 223 both shoot sub-moa out of the box, one has a timney trigger and one a jewell. I have really done nothing other than trigger swaps and feed them ammo.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
the stock on my VSSF-II is not Tupperware either,,its solid and has the full length aluminum bedding block,,its a 204 though and shoots the Hornady 40 gr V-Max factory load average around a half moa and shoots the 32 Sierra way less,,shot 10 a while back in .4something

[Linked Image]

Shoot to Thrill
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AkDan-I"ll buck the trend and while the Remmies can and are very accurate I would bet each and every time on the Savage being more accurate right from the box.

I'd suggest you consider one with the Accu Trigger and rock on.

I'm kind of fond of their Predator Hunter model.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/26/07.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Savage Low Profile which is the laminated wood w/SS 26" tube...will shoot the pants off any factory 700......you buy the Savage with the Tupperware stock (FVSS) the first thing you'll want to do is replace the stock....its muzzle heavy...the LP stock is very nice lam wood......

Last edited by tikkanut; 11/26/07.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you look in my gunsafe it's filled mostly with Remingtons. Having said that my last two guns have been Savages. The Remingtons no doubt would have better resale. But then I never sell guns. I use the resale prices on Savages to my advantage and get them used at very reasonalbe prices. My two Savages have both been used out of the box as I recieved them the first one shoots under MOA and the other shoots under .5 MOA. Now I do have Remingtons that now shoot that well but they all required a fair amount of tinkering or rebarreling.

My next gun I'm working on now. I have the stock and the barrel I'm looking for a donor action and yes it's a Savage in .204. I just wanted to piece one together and yes it's going to be used as a switch barrel. Much more easily than a Remington could be thanks to the barrel nut.
And that's the rest of the story!

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 11/26/07.

NRA Lifetime Member
A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
boy this aint an easy choise, and it's not getting any easier wink

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
so, will I need to rework the vssf II's trigger? Can I do this, or do I need a gunsmith to do it?

Talk to me about trigger swaps?

Do I need to do any barrel work to this rifle? (should say have it done being I am no gun smith and have done nothing of the sort).

I really like the looks of the vssf II over the fvss. Though I've commited to neither, I'm trying to figure out what the total bill is going to be. What needs to happen, or what should happen to make this the best rifle it can be without going to over board.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
any and every varmint target needs a Jewel,,bout 225$

Shoot to Thrill
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[Linked Image]

Shoot to Thrill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trigger jobs are cheap and you can do it yourself if you have some mechanical expertice. This is just what I have found that bedding will increase accuracy also. Not for sure but rifle should be around $930 if you have to get a trigger job another $25 and bedding $45-60. This is what my gunsmith used to charge me before I started to do my own work. I would still go with the remmy the VSSFII are SWEET! HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan, here are a pair of VSSF's, one in 223 and another in 22-250, these are the early one's not the VSSF II. I changed out the stocks to the Remmy PSS stocks as I much prefer the double palm swell of the PSS over the standard VSSF stock. No bedding was required as both shoot sub-MOA,the 223 has a jewell trigger and the 22-250 has a timney trigger and both are wearing US Optic's ST-10 MOA scopes.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jimmyd223/TheTwins001.jpg[/img][/img]

[Linked Image]

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkDan
What is going to be the more accurate out of the box rifle? I'm leaning to the savage fvss. but the rem sure is a looker.

You just answered your own question.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Nice looking pieces.

SO on the replacement trigger systems, do they drop in? Or is a smith going to need to apply these?

Not quite sure how I answered my own question pop....I'm as confused now as I was weeks ago when I finally narrowed it down to a caliber.....and even that is in question wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan, you have proven you can post on the internet, you will have no problem swapping out a trigger. Let us know what you decide on.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Both are capable of fine accuracy. Normally, I would choose a Remington over a Savage any day. I really like the Rem 700 vssf II.

The Savage 12 Varmint series has an accutrigger that adjusts down to 1.5 lbs. and comes in a 1:9 twist. This has more appeal to me for a heavy varmint rifle. The Savage low profile 223 is available in both 1:7 and 1:9 twist. The Remington only offers 223 and 22-250 in standard twist.

Between the VSSF II and FVSS, I would choose the Remington. It would be a tougher choice between the Remington and the Savage Low Profile.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AKDan: Yes the Remington DEFINITELY looks better than the savage! That may be reason enough to buy the Remington over the savage - BUT - there are other reasons to boot. I will list some of them later
My all stock Remington VSSF's shoot every bit as well as any of the "stock" comparable savages I have gone to the range and to the Varmint fields with!
You wanted to know specifically about out of the box accuracy and based on my experiences with many dozen Remington heavy barreled Rifles (not just the VSSF models) and observations of many savage Rifles performance - I enthusiastically council you to go with the Remington!
There are so many reasons (other than Remingtons fine accuracy record) I prefer Remingtons over savages that I hesitate to mention them here on your thread, where your main concern is accuracy. I commented on the accuracy part of your post and wish to add just briefly that life is simply to short to Hunt or shoot an ugly rifle (i.e. savage!), not only are they ugly they are rickety, poorly balanced, awkward clubby things that are made of chincey material and flimsily made at that!
If it ever came time to resell your "chosen Rifle" the Remington would garner you back a much higher percentage of your initial investment than the savage would - AND the Remington would sell MUCH, much, much quicker than would the comparable used savage!
I know this to be factual from my extensive experience as a gun trader (42 years now and counting) and as a 20 year stint as an F.F.L. holder.
When I open up my Gun Vaults the FIRST thing I check for is to make sure there are NO savage bolt action Rifles in any of them!
NEVER has been - never will be!
savage bolt action Rifles are simply unappealing crap to me - granted I have seen a number of them that shot quite well indeed, still, they are a significant step down from a comparable style Remington Rifle!
Go with the Remington EVERY TIME!
Best of luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Last edited by VarmintGuy; 11/28/07.
A
AkDan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
boy I can pick up the Savage 12 fvss at 550 new, and can't find anything better then 900 new for the remmy in vssf II.

Anyone know of a good place to shop? I'd really like to get the remmy, but at that kind of price vs the savage it's really hard to justifuy it, plus a replacement trigger, though I know some day soon I'll probably end up buying it. Ugg.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,393 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,381
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.