Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have an early 50's Ford 700 tractor with a positive ground electrical system, I have lost all spark to the points after tractor sat most of the winter, inside. Have tried changing coil, points, condenser, everything I can think of. Ignition switch is working, battery is charged, no mouse chewed wires etc., have read about everything I can find on it. If one of you is good at these systems, I would appreciate your thoughts and advice, maybe through PM's. Thanks.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Check the fiber insulator washer under the screw that holds the points in the distributor.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would check all grounds throughout! Have you tried hot wiring it, to see if it will run that way.

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Bristoe, incoming PM, thanks.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with the basics, do you have voltage to the coil?

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by chris_c
Start with the basics, do you have voltage to the coil?

^^^^This.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on what you find out is the issue, now may be an excellent time to convert it to a 12v system.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am with the check coil voltage. 6 volts is not very high electrical potential so it may be as simple as an oxidized or corroded or lose connection.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Be sure you have a fully charged battery and both cables are properly cleaned at both ends.
Clip a test light to the distributor side of the coil and crank the engine as to start it. Blinking light denotes points are opening and closing. Constant light means points open, not closing. No light means no power to the coil at all or points are constantly closed. Check inside the cap for arachnid (spider) nests or other foreign interference. If your points check was blinking, pull the coil wire from the distributor and hold it about 1/4 inch from a good ground and crank as if to start (it shouldn't) which should get you a snappy blue yellow spark and may try to ground through you. Enlightening. If no spark, your problem is between the battery and the ground side of the points. to eliminate the ignition switch and all other circuitry, you can hook a jumper wire directly from the non-grounded (negative) side of the battery to the NON DISTRIBUTOR side of the coil. If the coil and points are working it should start and run. To shut it off, remove the jumper wire. Good troubleshooting and good luck!

Last edited by autoshopteacher; 03/23/23. Reason: corrected info
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Send wabigoon a PM

He’s gonna be your go-to man.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not that it helps, but I am pretty sure I have some extra 6v regulators....just in case that is what's wrong.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Check the fiber insulator washer under the screw that holds the points in the distributor.

Ditto, ‘‘twas the problem on a positive ground vehicle I had, the insulator failed, in my case because I tightened it too hard and it was no longer acting as an insulation point.
Put a new insulating washer on and it was good to go.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks to everyone for your replies, I'm going to be working on it this weekend with some of the suggestions.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a 52 8N Ford with 6 volt positive ground that did the same thing 2 yrs ago. There is a 2 post resistor on the inside panel below the steering wheel behind the tool box. Wires from the switch and voltage reg go on one side. The wire to the coil on the other side. Mine had crack causing it to ground out. I liked to have never figured it out. Replaced it and it's been fine every since. Also remember to discharge your voltage reg everytime you disconnect the battery.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.