Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t keep it around if you aren’t using it. Turn it into a 7mm or sell it.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I'd put a new 7mm barrel on it chambered to 7mm PRC.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought about rebarrelling to 30-338. I have a gap between 30-06 and 300 Win Mag to fill.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You could sell it like I did my NIB classic stainless 338

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I found I enjoy shooting my m70 xtr in 338 win mag more when it's loaded with 200 gr bullets at 2750 to 2800 for deer. If I need it for bigger animals I can step up to full power loads. Jpro said it first, jpro kills lots of critters and he has beautiful daughters listen to Jpro...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think the only sensible option is to sell it to me so I can rebuild it as a .375 or .416 something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I found I enjoy shooting my m70 xtr in 338 win mag more when it's loaded with 200 gr bullets at 2750 to 2800 for deer. If I need it for bigger animals I can step up to full power loads. Jpro said it first, jpro kills lots of critters and he has beautiful daughters listen to Jpro...mb

Ha! Much appreciated. They're certainly sweet girls to put up with me. They don't know it yet, but they "get to" bait up hogs later today on a little side detour. wink

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by Swamplord
you'll be better off glassing / spotting game than gallivanting like a leper all over the place trying to jump someting within inside of a barn range .....

With Hunter Pink vests being an option now, I feel my most vigorous gallivanting days are still ahead.

That made me chortle. 😬

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would just keep it. You can never tellwhen an elk/moose trip in grizzly country may come up.

I too convinced myself I needed a .338 after killing several elk with .308's and .30-06's (one of them never took a step but I put three 180 NPTs in it before it fell).

My new wife at the time(30 years ago) gave me the income tax refund to buy one with our second year of marriage. As a result I will likely never sell mine.

I bought a Stainless Synthetic, added iron sights and a Leupold plus a McMillan stock. I even had the barrel shortened and a KDF brake installed. I took the btrake off right away. It kills elk just fine but so does my '06. I now reserve it for when

I get a tag for a branch bull.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
I would just keep it. You can never tellwhen an elk/moose trip in grizzly country may come up.

I too convinced myself I needed a .338 after killing several elk with .308's and .30-06's (one of them never took a step but I put three 180 NPTs in it before it fell).

My new wife at the time(30 years ago) gave me the income tax refund to buy one with our second year of marriage. As a result I will likely never sell mine.

I bought a Stainless Synthetic, added iron sights and a Leupold plus a McMillan stock. I even had the barrel shortened and a KDF brake installed. I took the btrake off right away. It kills elk just fine but so does my '06. I now reserve it for when

I get a tag for a branch bull.

I've seen plenty of elk catch that 180gr nosler partiton, for some reason, but they don't catch a 200gr partition. That is the only bullet I use anymore in my 30-06, when hunting elk with that cartridge. That bullet digs deep. It will out penetrate just about anything you can put in a 338wm. Still, the 338wm is one of my favorite "elk" cartridges. You always see them in areas I hunt elk in. That is probably the predominant elk cartridge in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do what I did with a poor shooting m70 push feed .338 WM: Trade it for a .35 Whelen and cut out the bruising.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Do what I did with a poor shooting m70 push feed .338 WM: Trade it for a .35 Whelen and cut out the bruising.

The second post on this thread mentioning the 35 Whelen. I started out hunting elk with a 338WM, and I loved it. But after a few years I switched to a 35 Whelen. Less recoil, lighter rifle, bigger hole, holds one more round in the magazine. Now, I love my Whelen too.

Took it to Africa a couple of times and killed a lot of animals: Leopard, Sitatunga, Kudu, etc. Never sold any of my 338WMs, and will hunt with them some more. But I don’t think there’s an animal that I can kill with the 338 that I couldn’t just as easily kill with the 35. YMMV.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sell it, then buy what you really want.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sell it, buy a Rem 700 & build a 338 Edge with a good 30" barrel & muzzle break, you will effectively eliminate the necessity or need for any of the lesser cartridges in one fell swoop

You'll be good out to one mile on elk while most of the lesser cartridges are struggling to stay above dirt at 600 yards

you'll be better off glassing / spotting game than gallivanting like a leper all over the place trying to jump someting within inside of a barn range .....

Hunting smarter puts a lot of meat on the table without risk of breaking a hip

Or, you can just park you butt in your effing rocker and order meat over the phone.
I have a 338 I seldom carry too. I also have 7mm and 30 cal. barrels for it. Everyone has rifles they like which don't see a lot of use. By the way, a 375 mag box fits right into that Classic, if you really want a longer magazine. GD

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
Sell it, buy a Rem 700 & build a 338 Edge with a good 30" barrel & muzzle break, you will effectively eliminate the necessity or need for any of the lesser cartridges in one fell swoop

You'll be good out to one mile on elk while most of the lesser cartridges are struggling to stay above dirt at 600 yards

Hunting smarter puts a lot of meat on the table without risk of breaking a hip

Or, you can just park you butt in your effing rocker and order meat over the phone.
I have a 338 I seldom carry too. I also have 7mm and 30 cal. barrels for it. Everyone has rifles they like which don't see a lot of use. By the way, a 375 mag box fits right into that Classic, if you really want a longer magazine. GD
I had the block in mine removed and welded. 300 Weatherby follower and shortened the ejector/bolt stop.
Been a few years since I worked any loads for it. Last time I shot it at distance it was shooting MOA to 500 yards. Mine has a long throat and opening the box helped with seating close the the lands. Set in a Brown stock it carries well and doesnt recoil too bad with 210 Noslers or Barnes. I really like the Nosler 200 gr BT in them. I shot a buck one time with the 200 BT. He was uphill and staring a hole through me. Put the cross hairs on the tip of his chin and let one go. Basically ripped the skull plate off.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would sell it.

To me.

Soon.

grin

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Take it Grizzly hunting.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seriously keep it and try some 160gr and 200gr or 210gr loads. It's basically all the rifle you need and has plenty of range to 600yds. That covers a good amount of ground without excessive wind drift. Since you live in the PNW you'll be able to use the 338 for cross canyon clearing shots. Use it and enjoy it because that's a nice rifle and 338 with 250gr and heavier smashes bones on elk really well, I've got plenty of 338's of various flavors I've used and they're great.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate the idea selling any of my rifles. Especially if it’s a classic.
I agree with others, load it down. Quick look in my manual.
180 accubond with 66gr of big game gets you 2850 fps.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
When I was in my late teens, I felt like I needed a 338 Win Mag. I was impressed by raw power and the literature written about the 338 always talked that up. I was even more impressed by the 340 Weatherby, but the rifles were too expensive and the ammo wasn’t easy to find.

The 338 seemed like a reasonable choice for elk, since I read how tough they were. I was convinced that any hunting cartridge had to have a belt and if it didn’t have 3500 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, it wasn’t suitable for elk-sized game. My 7mm Rem Mag was relegated to deer-sized game since it just didn’t have the juice.

I’m older now and realize that most animals don’t need so much killing. Experience has shown that milder cartridges are easier to shoot and critters die just as quick. My “big” rifle has been a 30-06.

So, what to do with the 338? Keep it? I’m not hurting for options, so it doesn’t hurt to have it. Sell it to someone who “needs” it? Maybe rebarrel? Always wanted a 257 Weatherby. Its an M70 Classic Stainless, so not a lot of room in the box.

Sell it to a Boob and poke the proceeds towards a Vudoo. Hint.

Thank me later.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.