Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dealing with my fourth (I think) bout of gout. My worst ever. Started in my big toe (of course) about ten days ago, then surprise surprise it moved into my ankle three days ago. Weird, my other flares were all confined to big toes. This bout is really, really painful. Ankle is very swollen and it’s difficult to walk at all. I’m going to swallow my pride and call the doc tomorrow.
Ankle edema looks like a severe sprain. Weird.

Got a sous vide machine for Christmas and I’ve been eating too much red meat, apparently.

This sucks Biden balls.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I have a severe flare up, like from eating too many cheeseburgers or too many peanuts, a prescription of steroids is the ONLY thing that fazes it and clears it right up.

And it always starts in my big toe. 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/23/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to get them when I ate granola bars… not sure why but when I stopped they stopped…

Yes it hurts like heck.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
More water, less beer. Eat cherries.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't eat the trigger foods but have had gout attacks 3 or 4 times. Prednisone till its gone then allopurinol daily works great. Tried colchicine but the side effects were nasty

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What I've learned about gout (the hard way) is that while experiencing a flare colchicine is your friend. It may take a day or two but it will take care of it. Then get on the allopurinol to prevent future flares.
I take 300 mg per day and haven't had a flare since starting allopurinol.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am sure there’s a pill for that. Take some.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t drink beer or sugary drinks. No organ meats or sweetbreads (gross). I like steaks and Palomas.

Four attacks in my life, I don’t think I need a daily med.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I take Indocin for flareups (which I haven't had in quite some time - knock on wood). Allopurinol daily.

Had it in my knee and elbow also.

Kidney stones are worse

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes nuts seem to trigger gout for me. I'm so sorry you have a bad flare up. Once it gets going and into the tendons and ankle, leg, and knee it's excruciating. Women says it's worse than childbirth because it doesn't go away without NASAIDS or prednisone. You have my complete sympathy, that's an terrible thing to suffer with. Maybe gout and kidney stones are the real nasty ones outside of an injury.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had that chit once in my big toe

The worst 4 seconds of the day was getting my work boot on, about made me cry

Went online and looked it up.

Drank Apple Cider Vinegar and it was gone in 4 days. Don't know if it was coincidence or not.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sorry you have it

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I don’t drink beer or sugary drinks. No organ meats or sweetbreads (gross). I like steaks and Palomas.

Four attacks in my life, I don’t think I need a daily med.

P
Have your doctor check the uric acid level in your blood and follow his advise.
There's more to gout than just those flares (which can effect any joint in the body). Uric acid can also cause kidney issues.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a mild case going on with a big toe right now. Mine seems to be triggered if I drink a Bang energy drink for a few days straight. I haven't yet noticed any issues eating nuts which is concerning as I eat a couple of Adkins or protein bars for breakfast most days with another one or two through the day as I get hungry. They are convenient to carry and take the edge off any hunger pangs I get in a normal day. I've been able to lose 20 pounds doing mostly this over the last couple of months.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Flareups in the ankle were worse than the toe for me. At least I could hobble around on my heel when it was in the toe. Inflammation one time was bad enough that skin peeled around my ankle like I had a sunburn.

Had gout from about 2009 to 2019, but only 2 or 3 flareups a year once I stopped eating scallops. My doctors didn't think it was worth putting me on allopurinol with that few flareups. Indomethacin worked the best for me in knocking it down, especially when I was able to notice early warning signs and start taking it right away. Got to where I could get over it in about 3 days.

In 2019 I had a blocked artery and ended up with a stent - enter the Cardiologists - they took my indomethacin away! My PCM prescribed colchicine instead - was useless for me. Ended up with prednisone, which worked (slower than the indo), but was stuck with taking steroids for the whole 10 day regimen to taper off no matter how long the gout flareup lasted.

Moved, got a new cardiologist (who still didn't like indomethacin and NSAIDs in general), BUT....also got a new primary care doc who will give me prescription for 7 days of indomethacin based on the idea that a few days of NSAID once in awhile is better than corticosteroids/prednisone. Our understanding is if the gout last longer than 7 days then no more indo and will have to go back to prednisone. The good news is that I lost about 15 lbs and haven't had a gout attack since Dec 2019.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Nope.
This.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Allopurinol reduces the production of uric acid in the body.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
I have developed gout after a partial tear in Achilles tendon. Doc said unrelated, never had before, quit alchohol for several months.
Try dark tart cherries. kiwi
Change of diet should help, i have heard castor oil can help, but keep forgetting to get some

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just reminded me to take my Uloric.

Were I you, I’d be on the horn to the doctor to get some Prednisone, and some Colchicine (gak).

Next time, if there is one, see the signs, immediately intercept the attack with either or both of the above, and avoid what you have now, which is NO BUENO FOR YOUR JOINT/S!

You should be able to convince your doc to let you have a round of Prednisone (and some Colchicine (GAK!) in your medicine cabinet.

Colchicine (sick) should be my first move, but since Uloric keeps my gout under control and I go years between getting “gouty” even, I would reach straight for the Prednisone nowadays.

Finally, if you’re miserable, there is some kind of shot you can get at Urgent care. They can probably get you an Rx too.

Had a nun burn my buttcheek up with one of those in Miles City one year when I had an attack in my right wrist during a hunting trip, and I was cussing her out on the way out of the ER, and thanking her profusely the next morning when she called the hotel to check up on me and I was able to hold a rifle again.

For the attack: Prednisone and Colchicine ASAP!

Then Uloric or Allopurinol to keep your uric acid levels down, which again, will mess up your joints if allowed to over the long term.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.