Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Michigan folks, help me out with some info before I comment on this subject.

A: Is it legal for a 15 year old minor to possess a handgun in MI? While not under direct supervision of an adult or guardian?

B: Is there a negligent homicide crime in MI? Or something substantially similar?

C: Can a negligent act in MI rise to the level of manslaughter?

Were I to be empaneled on a jury in MI, these are questions I would want answered before I could decide any type of verdict.

How old do I have to be in order to legally own a pistol in Michigan?MCL 28.422 Eighteen (18) years of age. However, Federal law prohibits a federally licensed firearms dealer from selling a pistol to anyone under the age of twenty-one (21).

What about "possession"?

A: Is it legal for a 15 year old minor to possess a handgun in MI? While not under direct supervision of an adult or guardian?

In other words, can a 15 year old, even given his parents' permission, have possession of a handgun while not under the direct supervision of an adult?

In some states that, in and of itself, is a criminal act.

MI has very restrictive handgun laws. Many, BTW, are about to be expanded to long guns. A handgun may generally be possessed only by the registered owner. He may not even loan it out unless the recipient has a CPL. A minor cannot lawfully possess a handgun. It is fairly common practice, however, to let a kid shoot one with dad at his side.

MI does have Negligent Homicide laws. I suspect these parents are in deep do-do. This is not a good time to face a jury here in a case like this. I look for them to plead to something.