Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ingwe
Doc, theres only two critters Ive seen in the wild that scare me.Deep primordial type scare.One is grizzlies, the other is lions. I was actually interested in a lioness because, like humans, the female is the dangerous one of the species. Almost-but not quite- got it done in Zim in 2000
Havent been back, and won't be going back...as you said, the 7+ anything is not conducive to that type hunting.
I wish you the best in your dream and quest Compadre.

Nyalubwe

You got that right about Leo. Had lions scare the pants off of me a couple of times. One time, at dusk I was sighting on a cape buffao in Tanzania. As I was about to cut loose on the shot, 2 lions, not 25 yards away roared and sprung after the buff I was centered on and his mates. Obviously they all went di di mau to GTF out of there. Me included.

Another time, again in Tanzania, went to check the lion bait about 10:00 in the morning. Snuck through the riverine thicket along the sandy river bed, and slinked up into a clearing maybe 50 yards in diameter. The zebra haunch hanging from a big baobab tree had been fed on the previous night. Tracks, mane hair, craw marks on the trunk all showed some big cats had fed. As we causally admired the scene, 2 big maned lions awoke from their nap in the thicket not 30 yards from us. They were shocked to see us and roared to loud enough to shake your soul. Standing unarmed, our collective party went pale and damned near laid golden eggs as the pair ran across the clearing past us, away from the river!

Thrilling, but not cardiologist approved. Had that been near dusk, they very likely would have been much more aggressive.
Just curious. Why unarmed? A buddy of mine had the same issue with a brown bear this fall while out of the tent unarmed. I am almost never unarmed. In fact I can't recall being un armed. Heck having my pistol in the top of a clothes tote instead of out on the floor of the tent this fall as the bear tried to get into the tent was almost a big mistake.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Another time, again in Tanzania, went to check the lion bait about 10:00 in the morning. Snuck through the riverine thicket along the sandy river bed, and slinked up into a clearing maybe 50 yards in diameter. The zebra haunch hanging from a big baobab tree had been fed on the previous night. Tracks, mane hair, craw marks on the trunk all showed some big cats had fed. As we causally admired the scene, 2 big maned lions awoke from their nap in the thicket not 30 yards from us. They were shocked to see us and roared to loud enough to shake your soul. Standing unarmed, our collective party went pale and damned near laid golden eggs as the pair ran across the clearing past us, away from the river!

Thrilling, but not cardiologist approved. Had that been near dusk, they very likely would have been much more aggressive.

Don't be silly, the cardiologists give drugs to increase patients' heart rates all the time when doing Cardiolyte-Persantine stress tests. This is just a more "natural" way to get the old pumper racing!!! laugh

But I gotta echo Rost's query... why the heck were you unarmed while checking bait?!? When I was in the Bubye both times, any time we were out of camp we had our rifles with us, or within a few steps' reach. My PH told my wife strictly that if she had to go behind a bush to do her business out in the bush, she was to tell him beforehand so he or I (or both) would have rifle(s) in hand and be watching her backside... er, I mean, background.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Can anyone tell me whether you pay a lot less for a female lion? If the female does more of the hunting than the male, and if they are more ferocious (not clear on this point), then I'd rather shoot a female. A mane is neither here nor there for me, notwithstanding that they do look nice. Must be free-range, non-export is ok if it's less expensive. Thanks for any information.

Lioness is a lot less expensive, when/if available. In a lot of places they are not on license.

As for the relative ferocity and hunting ability, the Disney naturalists have sold Americans and the world a myth. Males participate in the hunt as much as females, moreso when the dominant game species are larger ones such as Cape buffalo and wildebeest.

Also: the risk of being attacked by a female vs a male is sometimes higher, depending on circumstances. Females with cubs of any species are touchy and quick to take offense, more likely to tear you up first and then ask your business after you're dead. Same as grizzlies, etc.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go after one with a spear,like the Massai.Let us know how you make out.You won't be thinking of lion's anymore. smile

Last edited by sqweeler; 02/14/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Don't be silly, the cardiologists give drugs to increase patients' heart rates all the time when doing Cardiolyte-Persantine stress tests. This is just a more "natural" way to get the old pumper racing!!! laugh

But I gotta echo Rost's query... why the heck were you unarmed while checking bait?!? When I was in the Bubye both times, any time we were out of camp we had our rifles with us, or within a few steps' reach. My PH told my wife strictly that if she had to go behind a bush to do her business out in the bush, she was to tell him beforehand so he or I (or both) would have rifle(s) in hand and be watching her backside... er, I mean, background.
May have been unarmed while checking bait because his mother took Thalidomide during pregnancy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
6 weeks ago I was offered a lioness hunt in Zim by a friend, so I know they’re available.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
6 weeks ago I was offered a lioness hunt in Zim by a friend, so I know they’re available.

It's in everyone's best interest to not believe anything this lying coward has to say.

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I wondered how long it would take for my favorite internet stalker/troll to respond with another non contributing comment. Congratulations, you’re improving your response time. It’s fascinating living rent free in your empty skull.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A hunting site where posters give [bleep] to dollar for being who he is,is my kind of hunting site-lol.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/15/24.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for that, buffalo cow shooter. You do, of course, remember your PH telling you not to shoot, then shooting the cow instead of the bull you were supposed to shoot. It means a lot coming from you! The video you posted of the whole fiasco was quite entertaining….

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wondered how long it would take for my favorite internet stalker/troll to respond with another non contributing comment. Congratulations, you’re improving your response time. It’s fascinating living rent free in your empty skull.

You're lying, dumbass thoughts and quotes will live with you forever. You can't possibly believe the nonsense and lies you've posted. As far as living rent free, that phrase went out with the hoola hoop. I love to keep covtards thoughts and lies out in the public, and that's you.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by swiftshot
A hunting site where posters give [bleep] to dollar for being who he is,is my kind of hunting site-lol.

Yeah, this covtard has been asked several times by myself and another guy to update his thoughts on the covid subject, and he ignores it. Tells you all you need to know about this lying loser. He gets away with it over on the muslim site he loves, with the rest of the covtard/libtard dolts. Not here, and he can't take it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are lioness exportable? I was under the impression they no longer were.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think it depends on where they come from. For sure they can’t be imported from South Africa.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You gonna step up to the plate this time dollar, or take the cowardly way out yet again and dodge the question.....?

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yeah, this covtard has been asked several times by myself and another guy to update his thoughts on the covid subject, and he ignores it. Tells you all you need to know about this lying loser. He gets away with it over on the muslim site he loves, with the rest of the covtard/libtard dolts. Not here, and he can't take it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nope, not going to debate medical science with one of the 3 stooges. BTW, since you repeatedly criticize the “Muslim hunting forum”, why did you post there from December 2011 to March 2020?? Slow learner??

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Posted there until I figured out there were a bunch of cowards, covtards, and muslim asskissers like yourself. At least you admit on this board you're a fraud. You can't be this stupid and be a real doctor......no way.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You get kicked out on the other site if you are anti vax and lockdowns or if you have opposing political views with the moderator.I don't feel such a site should be encouraged or supported.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/16/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You get kicked out on the other site if you are anti vax and lockdowns or if you have opposing political views with the moderator.I don't feel such a site should be encouraged or supported.

Yep. I found out over the years there that if you don't toe the libtard line, and agree with the forum full of POS lawyers and covtard doctors like dollar, you'll constantly have trouble. jdollar is a coward and fraud which is why he fits in so well over there, and doesn't have the balls to even make a statement over here. Says all you need to know about this wuss.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Took you 9 years there to figure this out?? You must ride the short bus….

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (2UP, 44mc, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.