Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vincent Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I do not see his name at either Rifle or Handloader anymore. One of my favorite writer's I hope he is well and still writing.

Anyone know where?

Ross is at his best writing about the old English stuff and has the best info out there. His 2 month Rifle/Handloader article on the 22 Hornet about 10 years ago was a true classic and being a big Hornet fan I reread it once a year whether I need to or not.

Please....give me some good news.

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a search here on the board for info on him. Steve

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I miss him too, and think he is probably the alltime best. He definately isn't dull.

Some times there is a publication called the Double Gun Journal that he contributes to. I've seen him there.

The only reason I would subscribe to a publication is if he had a hand in it. Too bad Handloader and Rifle let him get away, they are not the same class of publication without Ross's wonderful subject of the classic Anglo-continental arms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You guys are relatively new..and welcome to the 'fire. But this topic has been hashed, rehashed, and triple-dare-ya' hashed.

You might use the search function and will probably be able to pull up enough comments on this topic to hold you 'till spring.

Again, though, welcome to the Campfire.

gdv

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE: "Ross Seyfried ... anybody know where ???"
-----------------------------------------------
YES. He's "Under Wild Skies".

From the Television series, (of the same name) comes the inspiration for a new publication entitled:
~~~ "Under Wild Skies Magazine". ~~~~

"In UNDER WILD SKIES you'll enjoy page after page of hunting adventures from around the world, plus entertaining and informative columns by Ron Spomer, ROSS SEYFRIED, and Tony Markis to name a few."

Sounds like 'good times'.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sore subject. Do the search.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ross is a friend of mine and he is at his ranch in Oregan, where he is guiding elk hunters and enjoying life..He was a Ph for 11 years in Africa and has about as nice a gun collection as you will ever see. He advertises his hunts in some of the rags..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can you imagine spending a day just looking at all his toys....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice article by RS in the autumn DG&SSJ on Martinis.

- Tom

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'd just like to paw his 577 rigby!

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by P_Weed
RE: "Ross Seyfried ... anybody know where ???"
-----------------------------------------------
YES. He's "Under Wild Skies".

From the Television series, (of the same name) comes the inspiration for a new publication entitled:
~~~ "Under Wild Skies Magazine". ~~~~

"In UNDER WILD SKIES you'll enjoy page after page of hunting adventures from around the world, plus entertaining and informative columns by Ron Spomer, ROSS SEYFRIED, and Tony Markis to name a few."

Sounds like 'good times'.

Thanks for the good info.I will try and locate a copy as I like Ross`s writing!!!!!!!!!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has he really been gone???? Gee, hadn't noticed; guess I don't miss him much.

Not a favorite at all.

MM

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When he wrote that he had a Ruger single shot that would hit a
soup can "everytime at 800 yards" it was almost running into the
tops of my boots.
Take Care!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When he wrote that he had a Ruger single shot that would hit a
soup can "everytime at 800 yards" it was almost running into the
tops of my boots.
Take Care!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Institutional size soup can? smile

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have known Ross for quite some time now. His knowledge and experience is simply amazing. I miss his writing in Rifle and Handloader. In fact after he left R and HL I let my subscription lapse.

He does offer a great counter point to the writing about the latest long wide / short narrow quasi belted uber magnum. His writing is just right for us old hide bound reactionary types.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If Seyfried stopped writing now, I can't think of very many people who would step up and take over with the kind of work he's doing with British sporting arms of the mid to late 19th Century.

And it's not simply the work of an historian, either. He hunts with these rifles and shotguns and has spent uncounted - and uncompensated - hours recapturing the knowledge of how to make ammo for them. Knowledge, it appears, that even the original makers have lost.

I can understand why a lot of modern hunters would have no personal interest in hunting with iron sights and fat, lead bullets, but I can't understand why so few people see a value in what he's doing.

The hunting and shooting sports have a long heritage. A lot of that heritage has been lost to us for good. Seyfried is obsessively and compulsively trying to save as much of it as he can. I applaud him for that.

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't remember having read any of Seyfried's work � unless it was among the chapters in a big compendium that I edited for Safari Press years ago. The tenor of this thread suggests that he's a writer after my own heart, even though our first face-to-face meeting a few years back gave me a very poor impression of the man. (Later encounters were much better.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atkinson
Ross is a friend of mine and he is at his ranch in Oregan, where he is guiding elk hunters and enjoying life..He was a Ph for 11 years in Africa and has about as nice a gun collection as you will ever see. He advertises his hunts in some of the rags..
Well Ray, please tell Mr. Seyfried that I much admire his work and thoroughly enjoy his articles.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I dont want to stir up any personal issues here.........just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a copy of Ross Seyfrieds article on the 22 Hornet from years back. Title was something about "Hornet lost its Sting"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.