Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Wow those go quick. Also a new one in 257 Roberts showed up and sold.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
Wow those go quick. Also a new one in 257 Roberts showed up and sold.

The nice ones don't stick around for long.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
SHOPPING FOR A SUPERGRADE. Presumably you've come to a "shopping" perspective from what you like about the Super Grade stock because that's really what its about. The metal is only SG influenced by the nomenclature on floorplate and presumably an "S" marking under barrel, chamber adjacent. Rule of thumb that almost all Standard Grade and Super Grade Winchester stocks are "fungible". That is, aftermarket alterations/accoutrements effect accepted, the stocks are a matter of action bolts & forearm securing bolt removed. The point is that what you're buying may or not be "original". Of course, the exception to the swappable rule. External barrel profile on some prewar Model 70 Standard Grade and even later with the big H&H Mags. Those too with mag box cutouts larger, but as internal, may be visually acceptable. Moving beyond, the postwar "Featherweight", also with lack of "Barrel Boss", aft sight base, the barrel channel will be different!

If your goal is a "collectible" SG, you need to pay much more attention to wood and metal nuances. The price will 'ostensibly' also be higher. For a field grade shooter, you have considerably greater flexibility 'if' willing to accept such as non-original sight holes or recoil pads. Which brings the point of the conundrum of pad originality. Depending on the age, use and storage conditions. Most original pads are AT LEAST 60 years old! I have SGs with original pads that vary between hard as rocks - if lucky, or shedding grains or chunks. 'Most all viable pads are not original. Collectors accept the reality. Super Grades far more often were purchased with an original red pad! More often nowadays, they reflect replacements. Once 'non-original' a matter of indifference IF proper copy and proper fitment! Latter especially. For a "field gun" rule of thumb, plan on replacing the pad! And my rule for all pad guns, store muzzle down.

Be familiar with the distinctive detachable SG sling swivels. If missing, figure pricey! I'd not buy a SG without unless a considerable discount. Also beware of copies. Some great and indistinguishable. Most not and some not fitting! To me - just a personal preference IF I've concluded an SG as a "shooter", but dings, scars and marks just aren't compatible with the SG image you're paying for.

DIFFERENT STOCK EDITIONS & MODELS. Editions by era and divided into two inletting patterns. The so-called "Cloverleaf" aft tang design and the "later design" by several terms. Not interchangeable! The cross over from about 47-48 production year. There may well be bit higher SN Guns reflecting earlier pattern and visa versa.
Stock models, essentially the decades long "straight comb" and from early fifties the Monte Carlo. They will interchange if later model tang rules observed which all the MC stocks were.

Continuing from above but a huge caveat worthy of emphasizing. 'Rifles wearing aftermarket sighting equipment which presumably requires "Stock Inletting"! Receiver sights the 'usual suspects'. Do not buy a rifle so-equipped before determining whether you can live with any "accommodation inletting". Typically a huge void-scar on removal reducing to "truck gun" aesthetics! A very few late model receiver sights; eg "Lyman & Redfield" themselves designed as "screw on" whiteout stock alteration. Uncommon and the strong "presumption" of such residual scar associated until verified "Not!"

STOCK WOOD. Most all SG's of the "pre '64 variety I've seen, a quite uniform straight grain light stock coloration 'presentation'. If 'shooter' how the stock "presents" aesthetically, up to buyer preference. Collector, I'd be leery of an off color wood UNLESS superior grade wood where such dictates. Also, pistil grip caps fitted! Early ones in hard rubber bit fancy and adorned with Winchester nomenclature and amazingly durable! Later, postwar ones eventually unadorned steel.

NOT CREATED EQUAL! Huge price differences typical as almost exclusively based on chambering! But frankly too, especially most of the standard chamberings, if a great SG deal, but unwanted chambering... Swap it. "Originality only presumed lost as the SG barrel to be lost is marked "S" and perhaps year date last two digits of mfg.

WHAT THE SG IS TO ME. First, for info, the SG originated in the Model 54 and I have one. It looks about exactly for the Model 70 configuration of prewar. Differences of course in the wood as configured to accommodating the Modell 54 metal and NOT swappable with Model 70! Onward 'to me'. The SG is best reflected in the early long term forward "Straight Comb" presentation I term "classic" here. The inference of the English Custom Makers typical configuration of the prewar era where the similar Mauser Oberndorf Class "A" best-quality rifles flourished.

ETC. Model 70 Rifles from latter forties were Factory D&T. Before if tapped, post factory and remaining a large "collector value" hit. But more, the mounts they were made for as "unknown" unless still present and some well obsolete. "Stith" made their famous "no drill" mounts and the darling of collectors as "originality deemed retained. They're big, clunky and necessarily compromised by design. Authenticity a strong plus. Modern hunter/shooter; not!

This is all off the top of my head. I concur that Roger Rules "The Rifleman's Rifle" book is the single book most useful for Winchester collectors and those planning on multi purchases justifying price. The Winchester Collector Association a tremendous resource but they don't have a crystal ball and suggest a Guest arriving should have definite questions in mind.

Hope this rambling helps!
Best!
John

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What do y’all think of this one? I was a little too late this morning but interested to see the comments. Went for $4,000

Super Grade

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That sold yesterday afternoon - and damn quickly.
It was already sold by the time I saw it.

I think someone got themselves a fine specimen.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 18 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.