Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been a scotch drinker since college, bourbon not so much an occasional glass is O.K.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most folks like one or the other, not too many that like both. I am a scotch guy, but there are a few bourbons I like (not many, but a few).

I have probably 35-40 different scotches but only a couple of blends (both Johnny Walker) and maybe 6-7 bourbons (and only 2-3 that I like, rest are for friends/guests). Glenlivet 12 and 15 are my go-to’s, but occasionally like something different so have a few Balvenie and Glenmorangie varieties, Macallan, Highland Park, Lagavulin, a couple of Japanese single malts, etc.

I have a bottle of Glenlivet 21 waiting for my retirement, but the most pricey (according to the internet) are some Macallan limited editions. I paid about $100 each when they came out, but they are supposedly worth more now (Edition No. 1 sells for about $3000 in stores today if you can find it - https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/...whisky+speyside+highlands+scotland/1/usa). But not sure how to try to sell this stuff as an individual.

Last edited by TXRam; 03/27/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's probably true about the "one or the other." I don't care for bourbon. I can drink a good rye like Elijah Craig, though. The only other booze I don't like is rum, the exception being that I can enjoy a glass of Captain Morgan once in a while - just not a steady flow of it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
To the OP, if you like Glenmorangie, try The Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. Your welcome!

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I drank JW Black for many years and then 4 or 5 years ago the gent at the liquor store ask me if I'd ever tried a sherry finished single malt scotch and I told him no so he suggested I try Dalmore 12 and the difference was night and day......Dalmore 12 is all I drink now.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rock: I too drink single malts and blends whiskys and they cover a wide range of flavors. The two you mention are to me more of an after dinner drink as they are on the sweet side. Personally, i enjoy the more "peaty" whiskys, like Lagavulin, Talisker, Ardbergh and Oban. Cheers!

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/27/23.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been drinking Irish peated whiskey lately.

My favorite is Conemara (sp?)

Other than that I like single malt Islays.

Never did care for American or Canadian whiskey.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
So for many years, I drank blended Scotch and was quite happy with it. Couldn't "get" the fascination with single malts.

And then I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie 10-yr. Oh, my.

Then I bought Glenmorangie 12. Oh, MY!

I was wrong.

It's right near $60 a bottle here, but it's worth it.

The only blended scotch a I can drink is Pinch. The rest are solvent at best.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gonna visit Talisker and Oban this summer. Talisker is good stuff, haven't tried Oban yet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A general FYI: Don't put much stock in the color of scotch whisky when you're thinking about trying one out. Unlike bourbon, the use of a colorant is allowed in the production of scotch.

Another thing to consider is most of the scotch (and bourbon) out there is chill filtered. This is done so the people in the market that don't know any better (most of them, unfortunately) won't get a cloudy looking drink and wonder what's wrong with the whisky when they throw a couple of ice cubes in their rocks glass.

If you want to try a single malt at its natural best try to find a version with "natural color, non-chill filtered" on the label.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
If you want to try a single malt at its natural best try to find a version with "natural color, non-chill filtered" on the label.

Thanks for the tip. Do you prefer it with club soda, or just plain tap water?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by stevelyn
The only blended scotch a I can drink is Pinch. The rest are solvent at best.

Have you tried Compass Box Artist Blend? (Formerly known as Great King Street Artist's Blend)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

[Linked Image from fishingbooker.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

[Linked Image from fishingbooker.com]

LOL, that's not right. I had all four lines in the water and they have none.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I still like Famous Grouse for a blended; it's the #1 selling blended in Scotland. But I'll also be trying some single malts mentioned - those that aren't prohibitive at Utah prices, that is.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Famous Grouse is in my scotch & soda whisky rotation.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A few years back, I think around 2016-17 timeframe, I found a 25 year old bottle of Grangestone Single Malt Scotch for just under 100, simply amazing. Had it a few times then stopped drinking it for whatever reason.

Just yesterday I stopped in a total wine and asked about it since I could not find it on the shelf. A nice guy excorted me over to the locked case where the bottle was for sale for over $400. should have spent my life savings on those 6 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blended scotch is for heathens.

Scotch on the rocks is the highway to hell.

Single malt, in a crystal tumbler.

Done and done.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Done and done.

I have a couple of blends in my collection that beat many single malts, including some mentioned in this thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Done and done.

I have a couple of blends in my collection that beat many single malts, including some mentioned in this thread.

I agree, Johnny Walker Green comes to mind (and in turn, the BLue Label is the most overrated whisky ever). Also, if you talk to the Scots, blended whiskys were the preferred of the upper classes whilst single malts were for the unwashed. I like them both.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.