Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
What options are there for spotting scopes with mil reticles?
Is there anything on the market in the $500-$1000 range, or am I going to have to step ip to alpha glass?
I know very little about this area of optics. My needs are not for competitions, just for recreational long range shooting both rimfire and centerfire. TIA

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd go Bushy Legend 781545ED and never look back. It CRUSHES my Reupold MK4 12-40x 60mm Gen2 FFP,for 1/3 the loot. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Stick.
Hey, on another optics topic, I just picked up an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12. I see in one of your pics that you have a few. How are they for durability, RTZ, tracking, and glass clarity etc?

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of 'em. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

They are of course fhuqking sensational. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have high hopes for it but haven’t had the chance to try it out since mounting it on my RAR/Magpul Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd go Bushy Legend 781545ED and never look back. It CRUSHES my Reupold MK4 12-40x 60mm Gen2 FFP,for 1/3 the loot. Hint................

And if you're mil/vet they're even less!

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
What options are there for spotting scopes with mil reticles?
Is there anything on the market in the $500-$1000 range, or am I going to have to step ip to alpha glass?
I know very little about this area of optics. My needs are not for competitions, just for recreational long range shooting both rimfire and centerfire. TIA

It’s a little above your stated price range, but I have the Tract Toric Spotter with the 22x Eyepiece with the MIL reticle, and it is simply amazing. Beautiful image, huge FOV and eye relief. A bit higher than your price range, but not nearly “Alpha” price. Tract offers a much appreciated military/LE discount which helps a bunch too.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For reasons I'll never understand,TRACT only makes Spotters that are Angled Weather Catchers. Likely because none of 'em actually shoot. Hint...............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I much prefer straight spotters for hunting or field work, u can find your target much quicker than with an angled.

The angled have their advantages as you can use a shorter tripod and they are arguably more comfortable to use due to a more natural head position, but to me the straight wins by a large margin.

Spence

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I looked at a bunch of the reviews of the Bushnell spotter. There was a large number of issues with “spotted” glass and the rubber ring in the ocular fallong off/not rotating the adjustment it covers.
Have these been resolved? I did note that most of those reviews were a few years old.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by spence1875
I much prefer straight spotters for hunting or field work, u can find your target much quicker than with an angled.

The angled have their advantages as you can use a shorter tripod and they are arguably more comfortable to use due to a more natural head position, but to me the straight wins by a large margin.

Spence
I agree on the angled eye pieces. They’re more comfortable but finding the image is difficult.

Hondo,
It’s a little above your stated price range, but I have the Tract Toric Spotter with the 22x Eyepiece with the MIL reticle, and it is simply amazing. Beautiful image, huge FOV and eye relief. A bit higher than your price range, but not nearly “Alpha” price. Tract offers a much appreciated military/LE discount which helps a bunch too.
Unfortunately, being retired in this age of Bidenflation, my budget does not work for a package that will run upwards of $1900. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks I’ll look into it.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I looked at a bunch of the reviews of the Bushnell spotter. There was a large number of issues with “spotted” glass and the rubber ring in the ocular fallong off/not rotating the adjustment it covers.
Have these been resolved? I did note that most of those reviews were a few years old.

I've only gawked a half dozen or so and it's the one you want. Hint..................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A buddy has the Bushnell and it is great glass for the price. Compared side by side with my pre Hd leupold GR spotter and it was tie to me and him honestly.

My Zeiss Dialyt 65 and an another guys apo Leica televid 65 blew the Bushnell and leupold out of the water for depth/ease of view and edge to edge clarity, but they should as they cost a lot more.

If you can wait Bushnell offers some deals on those time to time. My buddy with his LEO discount paid around 500 ish.

Personal opinion I believe in the buy once cry once for binos and spotters, an alpha spotter should last a lifetime, I would wait for a good deal on a used/demo Zeiss, swaro, Nikon, leica kowa etc.., top tier one versus the Bushnell.

Give Doug at Cameraland a call and see what he has in demos.

Spence

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

And if you're mil/vet they're even less!

Where did you buy to get the Vet discount?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by spence1875
A buddy has the Bushnell and it is great glass for the price. Compared side by side with my pre Hd leupold GR spotter and it was tie to me and him honestly.

My Zeiss Dialyt 65 and an another guys apo Leica televid 65 blew the Bushnell and leupold out of the water for depth/ease of view and edge to edge clarity, but they should as they cost a lot more.

If you can wait Bushnell offers some deals on those time to time. My buddy with his LEO discount paid around 500 ish.

Personal opinion I believe in the buy once cry once for binos and spotters, an alpha spotter should last a lifetime, I would wait for a good deal on a used/demo Zeiss, swaro, Nikon, leica kowa etc.., top tier one versus the Bushnell.

Give Doug at Cameraland a call and see what he has in demos.

Spence

Do any of those have the mil reticle?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Agreed...I've got the same Leupold scope with mil reticle... it's very mediocre for the price. It's now a $1500 beater scope in my range bag.

The reticle is mostly just in the way. By the time your spotter gets aligned on the target...you've probably already sent it.

Plus...if I can't see my own splash I'm either too close for it to matter or I'm having a major problem with recoil management.

Plus...if I'm listening to my spotter tell me where I missed instead of sending another one, I'm wasting time while the wind changes.

Plus...if the splash is too subtle to see, grass or wet ground, that reticle is not going to help your spotter see it. It's just in the way.

Edit: if you're spotting for someone at a match, I can see the utility. Otherwise...

Last edited by TX35W; 03/30/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bushnell 78154ED on Amazon $560.99

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No the alphas didn’t. The Leupold did as it was my issued one. As stated The usefulness of the reticle mainly comes when spotting for someone.

If you are solo, I think it is actually a negative, clutters the view to me.

Last edited by spence1875; 03/30/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.