Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I did. I went to visit a buddy, & as I got to his house, him & his son were going across the dirt road to an old chicken coop that he'd knocked an end wall out so he could bench shoot at targets across his cow pasture. They had two Ruger 77 tangers. One 25-06 77V & a 308 77R. As usual him & the son were arguing, something about handloading, & he then sets the 77V up on the bench. Not paying attention, still jawing with the son, he loads a 308 round into the 77V, & fires it off. I saw the rifle shoot a flame out of the side port hole like a flintlock. The rifle reared up & I thought the old man was going over on his butt. After it happened, he knew what he had done. Lucky guy. Cracked the stock behind the tang, had to hammer the bolt open with a hardwood block, & then the extractor sheared the rim off when the bolt was hammered back. He sent it back to Ruger & they replaced the stock, barrel, & bolt, but kept the same action (which I thought was odd) as the serial # was the same. He thought that he would get a letter & be famous at Ruger, but he got a letter from Ruger about how serious the mistake was, & how lucky he was to be alive.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at a bench about 12ft away,I saw a guy by mistake shoot a 270 Win in a 300 Win Mag.It blew the case up and hit the guy in the face with some tiny pieces of brass I assume.He was OK,just a few small blood spots on his face.It took him three tries to get it to fire and he was cussing the ammo each time it didn't.Rifle was OK.Another time a guy was mistakenly shooting 7mag ammo in his 300 Win Mag.Each time he shot,the neck of the case was gone and he couldn't figure out where it went.Then he looked at the headstamp and oh,wrong ammo.It didn't hurt the rifle or shooter.When shooting multiple rifles,practice good habits and only have the ammo for the rifle you are shooting at the time on the bench.Both these shooters were very lucky,including me.Had the bullet dia been larger like in the original post,things would have been really bad.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
I did. I went to visit a buddy, & as I got to his house, him & his son were going across the dirt road to an old chicken coop that he'd knocked an end wall out so he could bench shoot at targets across his cow pasture. They had two Ruger 77 tangers. One 25-06 77V & a 308 77R. As usual him & the son were arguing, something about handloading, & he then sets the 77V up on the bench. Not paying attention, still jawing with the son, he loads a 308 round into the 77V, & fires it off. I saw the rifle shoot a flame out of the side port hole like a flintlock. The rifle reared up & I thought the old man was going over on his butt. After it happened, he knew what he had done. Lucky guy. Cracked the stock behind the tang, had to hammer the bolt open with a hardwood block, & then the extractor sheared the rim off when the bolt was hammered back. He sent it back to Ruger & they replaced the stock, barrel, & bolt, but kept the same action (which I thought was odd) as the serial # was the same. He thought that he would get a letter & be famous at Ruger, but he got a letter from Ruger about how serious the mistake was, & how lucky he was to be alive.

You have only been here for about a year and a half but there is a guy here (Lil'Dick) that does this kind of stuff all the time.
His favorite is throwing his rifle in the river to "break it in" then jawing with everybody on this forum explaining how awesome he is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Twice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sort of tried it myself. My grandfather had a 22Auto Winchester, can't remember the model and he said he was having trouble with it. Turns out he was trying to shoot 22LR in it.
He asked me another time to sight it in for him because he wasn't hitting anything. I shot it at a target at 25 yards and it wasn't on the paper. When I got it to about 20 feet there were cuts in the target about 1 inch long. The barrel was so leaded it was extruding the bullets to about .100 diameter by an inch long.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Guy took a 375 Browning A-bolt into my dads gun shop for a show and tell of what not to do. He left a bore sight tool in the barrel and fired a round. Split the barrel from the crown to one inch from the receiver. Looked like a banana peel. He did not get hurt and the action still worked like a champ.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yeah, but his videos suck and he is a troll with no virtue or credibility. So, no more Shtick

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was in the USARMY I saw a few M60 machineguns fire thousands of rounds. Never saw one blow up, but the barrels and bolts were worn out and had to be replaced.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I did witness a family member shoot a deer out of an open window from his porch several years ago. The window wasnt blocked open, and at the shot, the window came down and smashed his scope on the rifle. He got the deer though.............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by boatanchor

You have only been here for about a year and a half but there is a guy here (Lil'Dick) that does this kind of stuff all the time.
His favorite is throwing his rifle in the river to "break it in" then jawing with everybody on this forum explaining how awesome he is.

It’s pretty funny that nothing in the OP has anything to do with stick. He’s also not done or at least never mentioned doing anything that was mentioned in the post you’re referring to.

So why would you bring him up just to lie about what he does?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I accidentally bumped my beam scale once when I was loading 22-250 ammo. I fired one shot and I felt debris hit my face. Didn’t hurt and no injuries but the bolt had to be beat open and the ejector was ruined. I got home and realized that I put exactly way too much powder in the case when I saw the scale.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Is Big Stick here?

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drove up to my local range to shoot one Saturday afternoon and the Owner came running over to my car and told me to back out into the street. As I backed out an ambulance pulled in and hauled a guy off the pistol range. The line was covered in blood but I understand the guy survived, though no one wanted to tell me about it. The next week after everything was back to normal, the Owner let me into his office to take a gander at the pistol. It was a nice looking Ruger Super Redhawk SS that they had cleaned up EXCEPT the top half a the cylinder was completely gone, (they found it 30 yards downrange after blowing through the tin roof) and the top strap looked like it had been cut by a torch (I guess it really had) and both pieces were bent straight up at a 90 degree angle about 2" apart. So tell me a Ruger is built like a tank and I agree. Tell me you can't blow one up and I dissagree. I never heard exactly what happened and all the remaining rounds were shredded. I would imagine someone saw that big .44 mag. case and figured if 5 grains of Bullseye were good, 20 grains would be that much better. It is a tribute to the strength of Ruger pistols that the guy didn't get killed on the spot as well as some innocent bystanders. Since that day, I have been very hesitant to use any extremely fast burning powder in a big, voluminous case.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back in the 1971 i was at ft Benning and attended a comparison/torture test between the m16 and an ak. 55gal drums, cut in half lengthwise, containing clear water, muddy water, watery mud, sand, and one with muddy water and sticks/leaves. The ak didn't fail to fire, not even once! Lesson learned was keep your m16 clean and keep that dust cover closed.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
I drove up to my local range to shoot one Saturday afternoon and the Owner came running over to my car and told me to back out into the street. As I backed out an ambulance pulled in and hauled a guy off the pistol range. The line was covered in blood but I understand the guy survived, though no one wanted to tell me about it. The next week after everything was back to normal, the Owner let me into his office to take a gander at the pistol. It was a nice looking Ruger Super Redhawk SS that they had cleaned up EXCEPT the top half a the cylinder was completely gone, (they found it 30 yards downrange after blowing through the tin roof) and the top strap looked like it had been cut by a torch (I guess it really had) and both pieces were bent straight up at a 90 degree angle about 2" apart. So tell me a Ruger is built like a tank and I agree. Tell me you can't blow one up and I dissagree. I never heard exactly what happened and all the remaining rounds were shredded. I would imagine someone saw that big .44 mag. case and figured if 5 grains of Bullseye were good, 20 grains would be that much better. It is a tribute to the strength of Ruger pistols that the guy didn't get killed on the spot as well as some innocent bystanders. Since that day, I have been very hesitant to use any extremely fast burning powder in a big, voluminous case.

Could have been a way reduced charge of an apprpriate powder. Though not sure if it would be that dramatic

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody on this site sent me a Remington 7 barrel in 7mm-08 that had been fired with a bore sighter spud in the barrel. The barrel was peeled back in 3 pieces. I used it as a visual aid when I used to teach hunter education and it always got a lot of attention.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by boatanchor

It’s pretty funny that nothing in the OP has anything to do with stick. He’s also not done or at least never mentioned doing anything that was mentioned in the post you’re referring to.

So why would you bring him up just to lie about what he does?

That was my immediate thought......'Stick can be an ass no doubt and throws his rifles around purposefully to beat the hell out of them to see what gives, but I can't say I have ever seen him mention firing incorrect ammo in a rifle, whether on purpose or not.
That sure isn't my definition of doing "this kind of stuff all the time", in regards to what the OP described.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A friend and I were shooting off the hood of my truck, we had several rifles with us and different boxes of handloads. He shot a sub moa group with his Interarms .223 and my .222 ammo.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I accidentally fired a 308 Win cartridge in a Remington 700 Mtn rifle chambered for .280 Rem...I was jawing with a buddy at the range when i did it. I missed the whole target and could not understand how that could be until i ejected a straight wall .308 Win empty case, luckily there was no damage to the shooter (Me) or the rifle...After the incident I called Remington and talked to a gunsmith he said there should be no damage to the rifle but dont make a habit of it 😁....Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I accidentally bumped my beam scale once when I was loading 22-250 ammo. I fired one shot and I felt debris hit my face. Didn’t hurt and no injuries but the bolt had to be beat open and the ejector was ruined. I got home and realized that I put exactly way too much powder in the case when I saw the scale.

If there was a case for an electronic scale, something like this would be it. I'm more cautious with fast pistol powders. I've been know to verify a beam scale with an electronic scale just to make sure everything is on the same page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.