Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
In the market for new bags/rests for shooting lighter hunting rifles off the bench. Looking for a nice duel bag combo. I already have a sled and prefer the bags. Any recommendations?

Aim Small, Miss Small
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd suggest a Harris swivel 6-9" bi-pod. That way you can also easily use it in the prone position, if you like. Works damn well off the bench as well and very stable. Easy to put in a range bag, so you never leave it at home by accident. I keep 2 in my range bag at all times. The next thing I suggest is a good front rest. And by good, I don't mean a $3-400.00 front rest. A good ol orange Hoppe's front rest will suffice:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Remember to use a good front bag on that rest that cradles and supports your rifle well. The one shown above is used for wide forend target type rifles. Generally a protektor #1 works well on the front rest, for most sporter weight hunting rifles. This is a Wichita Arms front rest I use frequently. Coupled with the #1 Protektor front bag, it is very stable and only cost me about $60 on ebay (sans the bag):

A #2 protektor front bag on another aluminum Hoppe's style front rest:

For a rear bag, I use a leather/suede bag filled with a mix of sand and kitty litter. Works very well and is not obnoxiously heavy. Some guys here like 14+ pound rear bags, so be prepared to get all kinds of suggestions. I can only tell you what works well for my uses. That is working up loads and precisely putting the bullet where it needs to go:

It's all about keeping you on target and as steady as possible right?

Again, be prepared to get all kinds of advice on this one. We have had many threads here on what rests and bags to use.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The eaiest and most affordable way is to fill shot bags with wheat. Not full to the point of hard, but flexible as it allows the settling of the top sand bag to nestle easily and solidly in the wheat bags. The rear sand bag is able to be slid forward or backward on the rear wheat bag to give you the elevation adjustment you need to set the crosshair solidly on target. These are way more portable than any other type you may buy or use and this facilitates the dual purpose of taking the sand and wheat bags in a duffle bag to where ever you go, in the field or to the range...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My wife bought me a set of Caldwell bags for Christmas a couple of years ago. I’m very pleased with them. Very stable and if I do my part I’m shooting very consistent good groups using them. Posting pics on here sucketh but it’s the dark green set…..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had a set of darn good or dog gone good?….something like that….bags for years now. They have held up well. I am interested in getting a front rest and rear bag too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Late last year the range got fed up with all the short barrel AR folks blowing up the range bags from resting the barrel bird cage directly on the bags. So, they took all the bags away and rented them out. If they were returned undamaged, then they got their money back.

As a regular I said screw that, and bought some Caldwell bags. Filled them each with 5lbs of play sand inside gallon Ziplocks.

The range bags have reappeared (I suppose they got the lesson across), but I now prefer my Caldwells.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Skip the hoppe’s and get a caldwell rock br rest light years ahead of the curve

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.