Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Couple of my crew are headed to Hawaii. They're scheduling their trip to Pearl Harbor and they're wondering if a tour of the Missouri was a good idea.

Anyone with some input?

Montana MOFO

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes but check on the times that it is open. I was there once and it was closed.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Couple of my crew are headed to Hawaii. They're scheduling their trip to Pearl Harbor and they're wondering if a tour of the Missouri was a good idea.

Anyone with some input?

We did the USS Arizona and I’m glad to have seen it. It’s one of those things on my bucket list checked off now. Dearly sad to think all the horror they went through. Worst part of thetrip is all the little people over on that island are rude and I wouldn’t go back again. Haha

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years on the USS Willamette AO-180. See the Mighty Mo, The AZ memorial and the USS Bowfin. Make sure you have enough time to see the Punchbowl as well.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Definitely visit the battleship. And the aviation museum at Ford Island. We spent an entire day at Pearl. To me, that day was the highlight of the week.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Visit all the memorials you can.

Honor those who died there as Japan started WWII with the US of A!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Be prepared to get the eerie feeling when on the memorials

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I saw bunches of Japs when I was there

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
She is looking at the various levels of Missouri tours now.

Anyone taken the Captains tour vs the generic tour?

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Also check out the Polynesian Cultural Center on the other side of the island. Well worth the trip.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The film at the Museum is very good, being non-accusatory and factual. You will be heartened to see that the many Japanese there with you will be as reverential as you. You will also be disgusted by the behavior of American youths at the Arizona Memorial. I can't recall if we took the general or a special tour of the Missouri, but it is an amazing and thought-provoking experience, especially the story of the Japanese pilot. Remember that people on both sides died that day and you will achieve a proper level of appreciation.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We went to the Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri last month. I’ve been to Pearl back on the 50th anniversary in 1991 and I’ve been on the Mighty Mo when it was docked in Bremerton back about 1980 but I wanted to see both together. We went to Waikiki for a quick 3 day trip expressly to see Pearl and USS Mo and had a great time.

You most DEFINITELY want to take the bus from the Arizona memorial to the USS Missouri as well as Hickam airfield and the aviation museum.

I find that place to have its own soul and I’m always struck by the sense of gratitude and awe I feel when I’m there. I’ve been twice and both times I couldn’t keep a dry eye.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do NOT pay for the commercial tour. Go th theNP tour. They land you on the memorial and it is free. The MO is worth it too.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years on the USS Willamette AO-180. See the Mighty Mo, The AZ memorial and the USS Bowfin. Make sure you have enough time to see the Punchbowl as well.

The Punch Bowl is about as beautiful a place as I have ever seen. It's also known as the Cemetery of the Pacific.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From tales I have heard from friends still there, visit the Punchbowl if the crew of Hawaii 50 will let you. They are noted for closing it down for their filming.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If the budget allows it, the helicopter tour around the island is worth doing. Plus all the other sites mentioned, especially the Arizona Memorial.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We just did Pearl in February. Yes, the Missouri is worth the tour price. We didn't do it yhe first day at Pearl because my wife bought the tickets just for the Arizona memorial. When we saw the Missouri sitting there we decided to come back and I'm glad we did. The kids really liked the Missouri. It was their second favorite thing after the Polynesian Culture Centers fire dancers.

Bb

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was there in February too. Mixed feeling on the Missouri, its good, but the tour route is somewhat limited compared to some other ships.

If your not ex navy take some time and watch some of the you tubes by Ryan at the Battleship New jersey. I think you will gain an appreciation of what a magnificent, complex integrated platform an Iowa class is.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deltakid
From tales I have heard from friends still there, visit the Punchbowl if the crew of Hawaii 50 will let you. They are noted for closing it down for their filming.

Gone since 2020.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Was there 8 years ago. As someone said you will get an eerie feeling. I personally knew two men who were there, Ed Borucki , and Bob Greenleaf,who was a machine gunner that fought back. Both gone now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.