Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I accidentally fired a 308 Win cartridge in a Remington 700 Mtn rifle chambered for .280 Rem...I was jawing with a buddy at the range when i did it. I missed the whole target and could not understand how that could be until i ejected a straight wall .308 Win empty case, luckily there was no damage to the shooter (Me) or the rifle...After the incident I called Remington and talked to a gunsmith he said there should be no damage to the rifle but dont make a habit of it 😁....Hb

Did that happen to be 12-13 years ago at the shooting range at Big Tumblin? If so, I was there! If not, saw the same thing happen to a guy, again a .308 through a 700 Mtn Rifle. Can’t remember for sure but it was either a .270 or .280

HR IC

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I accidentally fired a 308 Win cartridge in a Remington 700 Mtn rifle chambered for .280 Rem...I was jawing with a buddy at the range when i did it. I missed the whole target and could not understand how that could be until i ejected a straight wall .308 Win empty case, luckily there was no damage to the shooter (Me) or the rifle...After the incident I called Remington and talked to a gunsmith he said there should be no damage to the rifle but dont make a habit of it 😁....Hb

Did that happen to be 12-13 years ago at the shooting range at Big Tumblin? If so, I was there! If not, saw the same thing happen to a guy, again a .308 through a 700 Mtn Rifle. Can’t remember for sure but it was either a .270 or .280
Nope that was somebody else, my screw-up happened about 20 years ago at a little private range in Wise Co. that a few of us built back in the 80's, we could only shoot 125yds and it no longer exists but i spent a lot of time there developing loads and had some great fun.....Hb

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
Guy took a 375 Browning A-bolt into my dads gun shop for a show and tell of what not to do. He left a bore sight tool in the barrel and fired a round. Split the barrel from the crown to one inch from the receiver. Looked like a banana peel. He did not get hurt and the action still worked like a champ.

A good friend of mine did same, but it was a rubber piece that came off the end of the bore sighter that obstructed the barrel. It split the barrel in two, broke the stock in half, but the action held together although it bulged. He came away completely unscathed and bought a lottery ticket. He's one of my better friends so I was mighty glad he didn't kill himself. When I saw the rifle I was very impressed with Model 70's because the gun was wrecked but the action held together and didn't take his face off.

Last edited by meat sticks; 04/02/23.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Speaking of buddies, about 15 years ago Me and a buddy was shooting some 223 Rem bolt action rifles at the same range I mentioned in my other post, he had ran a few cleaning patches through his barrel between shots and didnt notice that the brass jag had unscrewed from the end of his cleaning rod and was left in the barrel when he fired his next shot, we noted that his accuracy had gone to hell and then noticed that his barrel was bulged about an inch from the muzzle. We figured his jag must have unscrewed and was left just inside the muzzle when he fired his next shot, he was very lucky indeed that the jag came off at the end of his barrel...He ended up taking the gun to a smith and he cut 2" off the muzzle and the rifle ended up shooting better than ever ( he still has the rifle) a Rem 700 ADL synthetic .223 Rem....Hb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
About five years ago I was running a little test shooting rifles chambered to the .308 Win. and 30-06. I wanted to see just how much difference there was in velocity between the 180 gr. Winchester power point ammo. To end the suspense for all practical purposes there was none. In fact the .308 ammo was 20 FPS faster than the 30-06.

During the testing which was running five round of each, one run was going fine and the groups was right at one MOA. I looked at the brass from the run and found I'd fired three rounds of .308 in the 30-06 yet the group was no different that groups fired from either rifle. Of course the .308 brass was ruined but as far as I could tell no harm done. Rifle, FWIW was a J.C. Higgins M50 that was gifted to me many years ago by a late friend. The surprise was the .308 ammo shot into the group started by the 30-06 ammo.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I saw a 243 case after it had been shot it a 308. It was fire formed beyond use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A T/C flintlock.

Mine. Bought it as a youngster, tried every thing folks said to not do,
or some said would be OK. Except, never tried leaving a ball off the powder.

Double loads, double/triple round balls.
Double powder and balls. That kicked.
Never hurt a thing.

Another guy.
We had been driving after a snow, quit because most guys couldn't get their
rifles to fire.

A guy called Disco couldn't get his to fires after a bunch of flashes.
At the garage he pulled the touch holeliner and filled the pan and barrel hole
with 4F. The blast our the side was impressive. We expected a cracked stock
or some lock damage, but the gun was unscathed.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago I had a problem with my Tikka H.B. .222. I had moved and when I set up to reload in my new location I must have bumped my scale. I was working with reduced loads of a fast burning powder. Apparently I ended up with a load about 2 grains too hot of a fast burning powder. It cost $350 to repair the damage to the gun. I had a few speckles on my face but was otherwise okay. I was grateful for the protective eye wear I had on.

It was hard not to flinch for the first few rounds fired after the repaired gun was returned to me.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 74 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.