-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This weekend a friend and I did some testing with his virtually new New Haven Classic in 375 H&H.

Some of the cases necks and shoulders split in Norma PH 350 grain factory ammo.

This is the ammo with Kevin Robertson's picture on the box.

He fired about 20 rounds with other brands without issue.

Thoughts from experienced folks are welcome.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like the Norma brass wasn't annealed properly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sounds like the Norma brass wasn't annealed properly.

That would be a problem in a dangerous game situation. They did eject without issue and were only noticed when we looked over the once fired brass.

Will failed cases like this damage the chamber from flame cutting of the hot gas?

Also safety issues?

He isn't going to shoot more of them but is stuck with a few boxes of the stuff.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would suggest that he contact Norma-USA. They relocated their offices to near Savannah, Georgia last year

You'd have to shoot a LOT of them to damage the chamber.

Have seen this sort of thing occasionally with other brands of ammo. In the 1990s Remington sent me quite of a bit of rifle ammo, including .338 Winchester Magnum. About every third round broke around the neck/shoulder junction when fired, usually leaving the neck in the front of the chamber. Informed the guy who was then their writer contact, and he appreciated my "input"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will pass that along.

We just figured if Kevin Robertson put his endorsement and picture on the box, it ought to have decent quality control for dangerous game.

Surely he's not just another paid celebrity endorsement influencer in the digital age?

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just curious - when your friend passes on the lot # to Norma, would appreciate you posting it here as well.

Txs

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will get it from him

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I suppose that I should point out that the 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcores did a stellar job on a medium size wild boar shot broadside in the shoulder. It exited and expanded dropping the boar instantly leaving a massive blood trail under the boar.

It was the load he wanted to use for both Leopard and Buffalo until we discovered the splits in the brass.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How is Kevin responsible for a lapse in QC?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mathman

He isn't. Norma loads a load that he has used and recommended and then a faulty run of brass comes along and turns an otherwise good product into a bad product

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Egzakalay

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

He isn't. Norma loads a load that he has used and recommended and then a faulty run of brass comes along and turns an otherwise good product into a bad product

So you think Kevin is a totally reliable and dependable souce of information with the respect to what he recommends or dislikes?

For example do you think that he is correct when he says large caliber Nosler Partitions are a poor choice for cape buffalo or other large dangerous game.

I know experienced people who think of him more like Peter Hathaway Capstick, perhaps taking some credit for the actions of others.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

So you think Kevin is a totally reliable and dependable souce of information with the respect to what he recommends or dislikes?

For example do you think that he is correct when he says large caliber Nosler Partitions are a poor choice for cape buffalo or other large dangerous game.

I know experienced people who think of him more like Peter Hathaway Capstick, perhaps taking some credit for the actions of others.

That's not my point.

I don't care who it is. Suppose Billy Bob Jackson used a product to good effect with no problems. He then endorses it. Later on a batch that should have failed QC leaves the factory. How is Billy Bob responsible?

Now, if Billy Bob lied or whatever it's a different ballgame.

Last edited by mathman; 04/03/23. Reason: added text
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Robertson is not in charge of Norma QC. I just thought it somehow ironic nevertheless.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Puddle
Just curious - when your friend passes on the lot # to Norma, would appreciate you posting it here as well.

Txs

He said he looked all over the box and can't find the lot number. He will return to Norma and they should have that information.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We were able to find the lot number on the inside of the bottom of the box.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I’ve listened to and read a lot of Kevin Robertson. He is completely unassuming. There isn’t a lot of drama there. If he embellishes he does a very poor job of it.

He didn’t load your buddies ammo either.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We were able to find the lot number on the inside of the bottom of the box.

Many thanks!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.