Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I was told today that tumbling brass will harden it. I know brass will work harden, but I don't believe that tumbling it in media will. Could you shed some light on that?

Thank you,

KB

Last edited by Knarley_Bob; 04/05/23.

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
False. The metal has to be moved (displace from one place to another in the part) to work harden. Cymbals are work hardened by hammering as can be seen in the dimples. Tumbling in media doesn't move the metal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know several knowledgeable shooters that swear that rotary tumbling with stainless steel pins work hardens the brass.

I have not found this to be the case myself but the theory remains very imbedded among some in the longrange crowd.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
False. It will not harden in a tumbler.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I know several knowledgeable shooters that swear that rotary tumbling with stainless steel pins work hardens the brass.

I have not found this to be the case myself but the theory remains very imbedded among some in the longrange crowd.
My understanding is that technically speaking it does but the depth of the hardened zone is so thin it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things...

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't claim to know absolutely that tumbling brass can or cannot effect work-hardening on it, or the degree to which it may do so. I did my tool and die apprenticeship in the old-fashioned type of manufacturing facility where they did everything in-house, design, engineering and manufacturing. And in the manufacturing, raw materials came in and finished products went out. As apprentices, we were expected to be familiar with everything done in that plant. There were a couple of engineering people whose entire job the development of various tumbling processes that could effect mechanical change on manufactured parts way beyond simple cleaning and polishing. It was a long time ago, but I seem to recall some tumbling processes for stress-relief and I think I remember some that were intended to surface harden parts. I'm thinking that some parts were tumbled in taconite pellets for that purpose and/or some sort of ceramic beads. I know various sizes of steel pins were used for some purposes also.

I've been around long enough to realize that I don't know enough about everything to make definitive statements that something can't be done.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Shot peening has been used in manufacturing for centuries, especially in the aircraft and automotive manufacturing of parts. Both for stress relieving and to install a hardened surface and while similar to sandblasting its purpose is not for the removal of material.

Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,459
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.