Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Got two bricks of WLP primers and at least one, sometimes two, out of each cylinder (or magazine) don’t fire. 10mm, 44 mag, 45 ACP & LC. Blue box stuff.

Anyone know if they’re still replacing?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Might want to make sure that your firing pin isn't a thousandth or so short

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect he's using at least four different firing pins already.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

I understand, but I've had this problem before where 1 brand of primer wouldn't always fire and it was the firing pin. When the firing pin was corrected I never had a problem again.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Never had any issues until now

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Never had any issues until now

CUP hardness is why

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Got two bricks of WLP primers and at least one, sometimes two, out of each cylinder (or magazine) don’t fire. 10mm, 44 mag, 45 ACP & LC. Blue box stuff.

Anyone know if they’re still replacing?

The best thing to do is contact Winchester and give them your lot# to see if they had issues with it. I don't believe the blue box WLP primers are that old. Maybe 2015 or so?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
From my experience the Win primer issue was related to pinhole leaks in the WLRs and these were from probably 15+ years ago. Those primer were the silver colored ones that shot great but pitted the bolt face when they failed. The newer blue box, brass colored, shoot fine but seem to be a bit undersized because they fit loose in every primer pocket that I have seated them in.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have had primers FTF both because of the primers themselves, and the firearm. Once it occurred because the firing-pin spring in a new model of bolt-action rifle was evidently starting to "fail," but I didn't know that at the time. Switched to another primer and the rifle started going bang consistently again--until it didn't. Which is when I sent the back to the factory to be fixed. It was, and worked fine with any LR primer after that.

Have also seen the the same thing when I put a "trigger kit" in Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum. The trigger pull was definitely improved--but the primer ignition wasn't.

In a way, it's kinda like putting a brand-new scope on a brand-new rifle--which many hunters often do. If the rifle doesn't group very well, is it due to the scope or the rifle? You don't know until running some tests.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by BC3
From my experience the Win primer issue was related to pinhole leaks in the WLRs and these were from probably 15+ years ago. Those primer were the silver colored ones that shot great but pitted the bolt face when they failed. The newer blue box, brass colored, shoot fine but seem to be a bit undersized because they fit loose in every primer pocket that I have seated them in.

I think it was the other way around. The pinholes I got were with WLRP that were the brass colored ones. The older, silver colored primers that I’ve used since the ‘60s had never given me any problems.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC3
The newer blue box, brass colored, shoot fine but seem to be a bit undersized because they fit loose in every primer pocket that I have seated them in.
I have found the same. The blue-box WLR are significantly undersized compared to every other brand of primer I have compared them to. Fit loose in just once fired factory-loaded 30-06 cases (which are of course not loaded to very high pressures).

Rex

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
biggest Winchester issues I had was when primers leaking upon firing then putting both faces and such. and I do not mean pierced primers

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ldholton
biggest Winchester issues I had was when primers leaking upon firing then putting both faces and such. and I do not mean pierced primers

WTF you talkin about, Willis ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Craigster

He drink too much...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only know that the head of a well-known firm specializing in competition type ARs cautioned me against using Winchester SR primers, claiming they would damage the firing pin and bolt face. They had my bolt at the time, and replaced the firing pin. It was nothing I could see, but perhaps an experienced eye could do detect it. I do not load hot, so I doubt my loads contributed to the problem.

FWIW.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

He drink too much...
damn talk to text bit me again .... pitting bolt faces ... known issue of Winchester primers leaking between the cup and the primer pocket in the brass.. not with worn out brass but many times brand new brass and loads that were plenty safe not overpressured.. Big Time topic on here not so long ago how quick people forget..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So does anyone know if Winchester is still replacing large rifle primers? I have 3000 for sale if they aren’t.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mike_S
So does anyone know if Winchester is still replacing large rifle primers? I have 3000 for sale if they aren’t.

Somebody at Winchester cs might know

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

He drink too much...
damn talk to text bit me again .... pitting bolt faces ... known issue of Winchester primers leaking between the cup and the primer pocket in the brass.. not with worn out brass but many times brand new brass and loads that were plenty safe not overpressured.. Big Time topic on here not so long ago how quick people forget..

The problem I experienced was a pinhole leak occurring in the "corner" of the primer, not between the cup and primer wall.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mathman

He drink too much...

The problem I experienced was a pinhole leak occurring in the "corner" of the primer, not between the cup and primer wall.
that's probably a better description of the issue.. it would pit the bolt face in a circumference lining up with the primer pocket edge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.