Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BillR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is going to be a pilot program in the Toronto area to inspect the homes of "older firearms owners (apparently 75 plus)" who own 10 or more firearms including restricted/prohibited.
The actual document explaining this is quite lengthy.
Anyone who receives notification of such an inspection is asked to contact the NFA at 780-439-1394 or CSSA at 1-888-873-4339.
A concern is that this will soon be a Canadian wide initiative.
BillR

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have been expecting this due to situations I have seen/experienced here in ultra-liberal,lefty-trendy Vancouver, BC; it IS coming as the statist fascists of ALL political parties continue to destroy Canada and Western Civilization.

Funny, where are the CPC supporters in this?????

Canadian gun control-multiculturalism = total individual subjugation to a corporate totalitarian state!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is truly scarry.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There's only one party that is on our side.

It's a shame they need a majority to do what's right, but they need to bide their time until they can win the urban vote - and that issue, is not OUR issue.

Till then, I understand, even though I'm not pleased.

I will vote and donate to the Conservative Party until then.

Harper may be a snake in the grass - but he most definitely is better than the alternatives...

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian, please refer to my post earlier today concerning my attempts to get responses from the Conservatives regarding proposed firearms marking regulations.
It begins to appear that none of them are our "friends".

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am afraid you are right on this one.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This is disgusting.

BillR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is the entire letter.
BillR

ALERT: ONTARIO CFO TO BEGIN HOME INSPECTIONS

We have just learned that the Chief Firearms Office in Ontario is initiating a pilot program to begin limited home inspections in the Toronto area. Following is a letter from Superintendent Chris Wyatt (Chief Firearms Officer) explaining the program.

Dear Mr. Whitmore,

RE: Inspection of Collector�s Firearms

I appreciate the opportunity of meeting with you and Tony Bernardo on November 20, 2007, to discuss the Canadian Shooting Sports Association�s concerns with the planned inspections of some firearms owners� collection in the City of Toronto. I also appreciate the opportunity to communicate with your membership in addressing this issue.

The Toronto Police Service recently brought several incidents to the attention of the Chief Firearms Office where the owners of firearms, who had died or had not been at their residences for significant periods of time, did not have their firearms safely secured. This is a very real public safety concern. The Toronto Police Service requested the Chief Firearms Office take action to address this concern.

The Chief Firearms Office is piloting an initiative that involves notifying older firearms owners, in Toronto, who own more than 10 firearms, including a restricted or prohibited firearm(s). These firearms owners will be required to have their firearms inspected by a firearms officer designated by the Chief Firearms Officer. Each owner has been provided a pamphlet from the Canadian Firearms Centre setting out the requirements for safe storage and display. The inspector will also be providing the firearms owners with information, from the Canadian Firearms Centre, on how to arrange for the handling of their firearms in the event of death or incapacity.

The Firearms Act provides for a firearms officer, designated in writing by the Chief Firearms Officer, the authority to conduct inspections in certain circumstances, including where the inspector believes on reasonable grounds that there is a firearms collection, a prohibited firearm or more than 10 firearms. Where the inspection involves a dwelling house, the Firearms Act requires the inspector provide reasonable notice and obtain the occupant�s consent. The Firearms Act also requires the owner or person in charge of a place to give the inspector reasonable assistance to enable him to carry out the inspection.

The following guidelines will be used in conducting inspections:
The date and time of the inspection will be at a time agreeable to the owner or occupant.
The inspector will identify himself to the owner or occupant using a badge and photo identification provided by the Chief Firearms Office.
All firearms registered to the owner or occupant will be inspected.
No force will be used in conducting the inspection.
A receipt will be issued to the firearms owner for any item taken by the inspector during the inspection.
Where evidence is found of a criminal offence e.g., failing to report a lost or stolen firearm, that evidence will be turned over to the police agency of jurisdiction for their appropriate action.
Where unregistered prohibited or restricted firearm(s) are found, they may be seized and turned over to the police agency of jurisdiction for their appropriate action.
The Chief Firearms Office will work with owners to ensure compliance. Firearms owners, who have been notified of an upcoming inspection, have been provided a contact name and number of a firearms officer should they require information or assistance.
The primary goal of the Chief Firearms Office is the protection of public safety. Safe storage and display of firearms is essential to public safety to ensure legally possessed firearms do not fall into the hands of criminals or unauthorized persons. The Chief Firearms Office is seeking the voluntary compliance of firearms owners with the storage and display requirements of the Act. The Chief Firearms Office provides education and information to firearms owners to achieve compliance.

I see this initiative as an opportunity to work together to promote these objectives. While you are not in agreement with this particular initiative, we do share the same goal of protecting public safety. Thank you for ongoing support.

Yours truly,

Chris M. Wyatt, Superintendent
Chief Firearms Officer

As you can imagine, we are certainly against any type of home inspection and have relayed our objections in no uncertain terms to the CFO. Our letter contained the following:
�We must stress to you that we are fundamentally opposed to such an initiative and ask that this program be cancelled and other ways found to address the problems experienced by Toronto Police Services, if indeed they exist at all. As well, police officers are not medical professionals and are not qualified to assess anyone�s mental or physical state.

The inspection provisions contained in the Firearms Act in relation to private homes is a violation of the fundamental rights of Canadians to be free from unreasonable search and seizure and the right to remain silent pursuant to sections 7, 8 and 12 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Violating the rights of our senior citizens, many of them WWII veterans, to alleviate a perceived public safety problem identified by a politically motivated city administration, can have far reaching consequences for the credibility of the CFO and has the potential to be a public relations nightmare. Imagine the headlines in the Toronto Sun, �Veterans No Longer Trusted to Own Guns�, �Police Program to Search and Seize Seniors Guns�, as well as potential complaints to the Human Rights Commissioner regarding age discrimination.

Be advised that if this initiative proceeds, we will encourage all affected firearms owners to use every legal option available to them, including non-cooperation and refusal of the inspections. This will force your officers to do either one or both of the following: Obtain a warrant to force entry; lay charges for non-cooperation (another violation of our rights of self incrimination). We will provide legal representation to challenge these actions in court, which will further impact on the credibility of the CFO and the Firearms Act, bringing both into disrepute.

We implore you to reconsider your decision to implement this policy. The CSSA would welcome the opportunity to work with the CFO and Toronto Police to find other ways to educate the firearms owners and their families on compliance with the storage regulations.�

Those affected by this pilot program are ages 75 years and older, owners of at least 10 firearms including prohibited and/or restricted firearms, living in Toronto. As indicated in Sup. Chris Wyatt�s letter, we voiced our strong objections to this initiative and to their credit, they traveled down to our office to meet with us. We were assured that the inspections would be conducted professionally and respectfully. But that does not alleviate the violation of our basic charter rights and the perception the inspections are nothing more than fishing expeditions.

If you have received one of these letters, or know someone who has, please call us immediately. We have prepared a legal paper outlining your rights under the Firearms Act and the limitations of the inspections as defined in the Act. You need to know this information to protect yourself from undue seizures and charges.

We urge everyone in Ontario to contact their MPP, MP, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day and OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino to stop this harassment of firearms owners.

Larry Whitmore
Executive Director � CSSA
Ph: 1-888-873-4339
Email: l.whitmorecdnshootingsports.org

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure do not envy you guys. Guess what's next.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you fellas living in the TO area, would it be possible to avail yourselves to help these elder relatives/citizens to become compliant?
Could the NFA organize some sort of media campaign to help?
A phone number that these 'builders of our country' could call, before the jackboots that are supposed to protect us, railroad them, would be useful, no?
I am a little far away to help, but if there is anything I can do.....
Freakin' gov't....our police resources are maxed out as it is, how the hell are they gonna catch killers when they are harassing these elderly folk? I can see some unethical 'citizens' profiting from this!

Thanks for reading my rant ya'll,
LeRoy.

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.