Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Introduce wolves into the largest elk herd in the world will no plan to manage them

BUZZH and j Burns will be along shortly to say what a great plan this is

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can kiss that elk herd goodbye if the reintroduction happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet they already have wolves. I stopped for gas in Hyannis Nebraska last year and the cowboys at the only gas station/eatery told me they already have wolves.

A Yellowstone collared wolf was found dead on Pine Ridge Rez several years ago. They travel.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, funny about wolves that way. They seldom stay where you put them.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
I bet they already have wolves. I stopped for gas in Hyannis Nebraska last year and the cowboys at the only gas station/eatery told me they already have wolves.

A Yellowstone collared wolf was found dead on Pine Ridge Rez several years ago. They travel.

Presence of wolves in CO is pretty well documented.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Yep, funny about wolves that way. They seldom stay where you put them.

Ya, but they will never make it into Montana!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
more wolves means less elk , liberals mess everything up on purpose

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some CO legislators have poured sand into the gears. Delayed at least 10 years.

Denver Commies are pissed.

Yay.

Last edited by SupFoo; 04/05/23.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Back around 2005 the Casper Star Tribune published a report on the decline of the Yellowstone elk herd. After nearly a full page of the report done by professionals, their conclusion was the drought is what caused the decline in Yellowstone. They failed to mention how the elk numbers had improved in the rest of Wyoming, the whole area suffering from the drought as bad, or worse then the Yellowstone area. The wolves were mentioned in the article, but only in what a blessing they were to the region in general.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Some CO legislators have poured sand into the gears. Delayed at least 10 years.
Denver Commies are pissed.
Yay.
That is good but they are in Wyoming next door. One was shot by a coyote hunter in Utah. The wolf lobby wanted that man jailed just like they wanted that poor girl up in Montana that shot a feral Husky dog. To her untrained eye she thought it was a wolf. Big deal.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Disaster waiting to happen. Ask those of us who have seen what a burgeoning wolf population has done to the deer and moose in northern MN.

Having wolves again will only work out if serious controls/hunting practices are in place. If you have a wolf hunting season and rights to protect property and livestock in place, this at the very root level will put some fear of man in wolves and help curtail their hunting time. Unchecked when they can hunt fearlessly 24 hours a day gives no break to the ungulates. It gives wolves the maximum advantage of all their senses in the daylight when other animals are generally up and about trying to sustain themselves.

Yes animals are up and about in the night but for the most part deer, elk, moose are bedded up leaving less scent and less advantage to the wolves. This is especially true when the young are born. Good to leave the browsers and grazers somewhat of a break in pressure during daylight.

Wolves will clobber the Colorado Elk herds Like they have done elsewhere. The calving season which is when wolves hunt the hardest with pups in the den will be the worst. One 12lb calf does not go very far among hungry wolf packs. They decimated the elk that way in the Clearwater basin of Idaho. They clobbered our moose and deer the same way in Minnesota.

It’s Colorado. They will do away with any controls that may work, count on it. I am confused as to why so many have an almost religious reverence for apex predators either earth born or on wing and the rest of the animals mean nothing. The only apex predator liberals don’t like is man.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Less elk means less hunting. That's is what the greenies really want.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
reads like someone has figured out how to fight fire with fire. The article gives hope that maybe, just maybe, the first release of transplanted wolves might not happen for several more years, instead of later this year.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO
reads like someone has figured out how to fight fire with fire.

Precisely.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ranchers and hunters will both be screwed. I worked in the north fork of the Clearwater NF in the 80's, pre wolf. The elk were as thick as fleas. Elk paths looked like cattle paths in some areas. Not uncommon to come across wallows of an acre or more. From what I read not any more. I also worked for USFS on Uncompahgre NF and much of the land is used to free range cattle in the summer. No way the cattle will survive long, especially in wooded areas such as the Uncompahgre plateau with wolves. Stress and loss of calves will devastate the Ranchers. Supposed to be some sort of loss reimbursement but first you got to find the killed stock, then prove it to CPW, and that doesn't account for weight loss due to stress. I hear they originally eliminated wolves with dead horses laced with strychnine. It would be a shame if that practice made a comeback.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think introduction of sarcoptic mange worked wonders in the original wolf eradication. They don't do well without hair in the frozen Rockies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Less elk means less hunting. That's is what the greenies really want.

and less guns and less ammo and less...

what the dumbasses have forgotten is the revenue out of state hunters bring to CO.
they also fund parks through the same revenues so thats takin' a hit.
and the governor sucks cock.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those who might claim that introduced wolves will have minimum impact on elk/deer/cattle clearly have not witnessed the ongoing instances where the wolves locate a birthing cow/doe and eat the newborn as well as hamstring then eat the mama. There is a price to pay , and the payment often is visible if you live in or near a NF.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Introduce wolves into the largest elk herd in the world will no plan to manage them

BUZZH and j Burns will be along shortly to say what a great plan this is

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Damn you're a bitter butthurt lil lying puzzie.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,085
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.