Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am seriously considering spending a lot of time this fall/winter trying to call in a lion in southern CO. I know an area with a good population of them and have been in contact with the game warden for that area and he says it is definitely possible in that area. I've done my fair share of calling in coyotes, foxes and bobcats but have never targeted lion. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not allowed to use electronic calls in that area so it has to be mouth blown calls. Just not sure what would be best, rabbit? Deer in distress? Or something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You might want to PM "rainshadow1" he's kind of a cougar calling guru. I went to one of his seminars. He posts here occasionally.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Erich.

There are a few hand-called stories on my website, and I do recommend adding in vocals, which I can do in a hand call.

rain-shadow.com

It's definitely tougher to call them to your person, as opposed to calling them over there to your appliance, but it can be done!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
friend of mine has had two come in (different times) when calling coyotes, 1st time he had to change drawers

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mac,

We've had some success calling lions in here in SE NM using fawn bleats, calf bawls, and basic jackrabbit distress calls.

And, believe it or not, using a Lohman Wood Quail call blown fairly gently; LINK

None of these were on purpose... eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lions will come to a variety of sounds but they are typically extremely wary. I would guess that 10 come in for every one you get a shot at.

I have called in dozens. The hand call is going to make it harder. 45 minutes of calling is pretty typical for lions. My favorite sounds are deer distress sounds. Often you will call in a doe which becomes the perfect decoy

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Judging from the experience of quite a few of our local bowhunters in the know, a calf elk call in distress seems to work...much to their occasional consternation.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Called this pretty big guy in last fall using a combo of female vocalizations and distress. 35 minutes and shot him off hand at 80 yards. Only saw his face and a chunk of neck/upper shoulder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job and great photo Greg!

There are some lions ruining my favorite spot in 33, but I don't have the nerve to try calling them in with my hand blown calls.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great photo, Greg

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
called a Mountain Lion in the mountains above the tree line using a mouse squeaker call put an arrow in that cat too at 30 yards back in the day with a Zwickey broadhead 40 some years ago.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.