M
Has anyone tried this scope out yet ?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No but I bought a Hawke variable power crossbow scope a couple years ago and it was junk so I sent it back and probably won't buy anything Hawke again.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m looking at buying one of these Turkey scopes. Not a lot of options.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Was wondering since they're chinese made.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I find it hard to imagine even wanting a scope on a turkey gun myself. Maybe a red dot. I've never needed anything but the beads on my shotguns and don't ever recall missing a turkey. Maybe if I was using slugs but I stick with shot and try to limit my range to not much over 40 yards. Of course a shotgun that doesn't center patterns under the bead won't reside in my safe for long either. I don't have room for junk guns at my house. As far as scopes, in general I try to avoid Chinese.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I agree with Blackheart, really no need for as scope. Don't advise shooting past 50 yards (TSS moved the range 10 yards).
Usually it's under 30 yards and acquisition of the target may be a quick response on your part ( had lots of toms circle and come in).
I did put a Burris FF3 on the gun I setup for juvenile hunts. The illuminated dot is easier to explain to them for aiming, has worked out great.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You adjust both a red dot and a scope exactly the same way when patterning your shot. Red dot is nothing but a light weight 1x power scope that needs a battery

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Anyone that patterns their turkey guns will appreciate a scope. Hunting with one is an experience in itself. Big ol white gobblers head in your sights . And its not uncommon for a shotgun to hit off from where the beads aim. But once again you'd have to pattern your guns to know that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wldthg
You adjust both a red dot and a scope exactly the same way when patterning your shot. Red dot is nothing but a light weight 1x power scope that needs a battery

I agree with this. One of the big reasons I went to a red dot years ago was the POA/POI was off on that gun. The other reason was, older eyes had a hard time seeing the sight. Last but was a big reason I stayed with a red dot was TSS and super tight patterns.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup, a red dot will correct that, which is a problem more than many would expect. I just began patterning my guns a couple of years ago, and it’s surprising what that will reveal, not only patterns but POI and POI shift with different loads and chokes. It behooves anyone that’s serious about their shotgunning to try them out on paper, even with the very dearly-acquired TSS.

I went to considerable trouble and expense a couple of years ago to have my Henry .410 d&t for a red dot. Works great, but a few weeks ago I tried it with just the bead and was able to hit just fine without it, so it stays off for now. I have one with a rib mount on my Browning Gold Hunter 20 and do well with it on clays, or rather as well as I do with anything else. The principle advantage I see with them is they take your mount out of the picture; if the dot’s in the right place, you’ll hit. That should be a help for an excited turkey hunter who fails to get down on the stock properly. I considered a scope for my Mossberg pump, which has a rail, but it’s already too heavy as it is.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just put a red dot (first time) on a new 20 gauge turkey gun, think I'm going to like it. Everyone talks about taking or not taking far shots with one, but I think it'll be just as useful up close where a tight pattern might cause a miss or wounded bird, my aging eyes can be more sure of my aiming point. After some patterning, I'll still keep shots to about 40/45 or less.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I just put a red dot (first time) on a new 20 gauge turkey gun, think I'm going to like it. Everyone talks about taking or not taking far shots with one, but I think it'll be just as useful up close where a tight pattern might cause a miss or wounded bird, my aging eyes can be more sure of my aiming point. After some patterning, I'll still keep shots to about 40/45 or less.

I just added a Burris FF3 on a Meadow Creek Mount to help with closer shots. My 20 gauge shoots quite tight and I’ve killed a bunch of birds with it but under 25yds I’ve never felt like I hit them square, I think the dot will help with that.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Most definitely an aiming devise will help on closer shots with the tight patterns most people use. I had a flat spot milled, and then D&T, into the receiver on my 870 20 gauge for the footprint of a Burris FF III. Low and rock solid! I use a TRUGLO .565" choke tube and the red dot gives me exact POI.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I sighted in 3 this afternoon. They may not be necessary. But it sure is nice to be able to adjust the red dot to be right in the center of that pattern. Shooting #9 TSS with Carlson TSS Turkey chokes. The 2 O/U's are a Stevens 410 and a CZ 28ga. the grandkids shoot them pretty good . The dot works great for kids. I liked them, so I put one on my Rem 1187.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jc189; 04/07/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice. What sight is that rib mounted?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
AT3 Tactical ARO on a meadow creek rib mount. https://www.meadowcreekmounts.com/

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks. going to check out that mount for another gun.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The rib mount works really good. they have package deals for both mount and sight together.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not heard of that brand of red dot before, how do you like them and how does the battery mount? What mounting system does it take (like a Burris FF or Holosun, or ?)
Nice looking turkey getters.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Holosun also, that's what I use. The AT3 Tactical ARO is a little cheaper alternative. I use them on the grandkids guns. they work good, and have good reviews. I have killed a tom with one and it does everything it needs to do. On the The AT3 Tactical ARO you insert the battery from the top

The mounting system is a meadow creek rib mount. https://www.meadowcreekmounts.com/ You can get a mount for the Burris FF or Holosun. Check out the website. The rib mount makes it easy. no drilling and tapping necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,529
Posts18,530,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.